VIBE Motorsports
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #23
Gomeler
First Lieutenant
345
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: '16 M4 GTS, '13 X5, '08 135i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Boulder, CO

iTrader: (0)

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/pors...review-photos/ as well. Pretty excited for that double wishbone front-end, and that engine.

I just wish Porsche would say "fuck it" and release a GT4 with the GT3 engine. They've already admitted mid-rear is superior to rear-rear with the RSR, just price a GT4 RS appropriately($160k?) and stop with the performance tiering games.
Appreciate 2
FormulaMMM1746.00
fanatic1586.00

      11-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #24
4play
Second Lieutenant
239
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 GTS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/pors...review-photos/ as well. Pretty excited for that double wishbone front-end, and that engine.

I just wish Porsche would say "fuck it" and release a GT4 with the GT3 engine. They've already admitted mid-rear is superior to rear-rear with the RSR, just price a GT4 RS appropriately($160k?) and stop with the performance tiering games.
Lots of spy shots of the GT4 RS. We'll see what engine/price point it arrives at.

Deman makes a 560hp 4.5L GT4 for $30k. It's as quick or quicker than a 991.2 RS. Seems like the way to go to me ($75-80k for car + $30k for upgrade = $105-110k).

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
Having to work to slide the GT3 on public roads...that's not how I drive anyway, but the aero and the crazy wide Cup 2's probably also play a role in the fact that the GT3 is hard to break loose.
Downforce on a 991.1 GT3 is within 10-15 pounds of the M4 GTS (both cars are in the 260-280 lb range at 186mph). It doesn't make a difference in stick at speeds under 200km/h, and even then, it's minor.

GT3 has more weight on the rears, which improves rear traction. And it has way less torque. That's why it's less prone to sliding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
I drove the GTS hard-ish, but I'm not a track day guy at all..just a guy who wants to drive on empty back roads and enjoy my own skill level and the car under me. The GT3 does that way better.
What is hard-ish? Did you slide the car, drive something like Richard B Russell, or just do a few hard accelerations? I have done all of those things in both my GTS and a friend's 991.1 GT3. They are obviously very different cars, but have the same ultimate level of performance. The GT3 is hugely capable and very emotive with the 9k redline, but is set up (as are basically all 911s) with a bit of understeer stock. The M4 GTS has tons of midrange torque and tends to oversteer.

Saying one car is "way better" than the other is quite a stretch, as it's subjective as to which kind of car you like more. I prefer oversteer to understeer, and although I do like the Porsche's interior and engine better (with buckets, the sofa seats suck), I also like having $35k in my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
Plus, I bought mine for a little under $100K during the early pandemic months when the economy crashed so I didn't spend that much more than I would have to buy a GTS.

And I love not having to worry about damaging a front splitter on speed bumps and driveways (nose lift FTW).
My GTS (albeit a high mileage one) was significantly less than $100k - like I said, a 991.1 GT3 is 1.5x the price I paid, even during the depths of low used car prices back in April-May. Yes, the GTS splitter is a pain in the ass, but I designed a sacrificial plastic replacement for ~$200, so not a huge deal anymore.

Last edited by 4play; 11-25-2020 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
786233.50

      11-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #25
786
Second Lieutenant
786's Avatar
234
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Deman makes a 560hp 4.5L GT4 for $30k. It's as quick or quicker than a 991.2 RS. Seems like the way to go to me ($75-80k for car + $30k for upgrade = $105-110k).
This seems pretty interesting, any more details?

I also prefer oversteer to understeer and noticed that safety net built into the Porsche GT cars. Pointy =

Btw, great vid of Chris Harris geeking out on the new 992 GT3

__________________
IG: @iivvx
Appreciate 2
FormulaMMM1746.00
4play238.50

      11-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #26
Parabolica
Major
Canada
565
Rep
1,106
Posts

Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 786 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Deman makes a 560hp 4.5L GT4 for $30k. It's as quick or quicker than a 991.2 RS. Seems like the way to go to me ($75-80k for car + $30k for upgrade = $105-110k).
This seems pretty interesting, any more details?

I also prefer oversteer to understeer and noticed that safety net built into the Porsche GT cars. Pointy =

Btw, great vid of Chris Harris geeking out on the new 992 GT3

Great video. The 992 GT3 looks awesome. Not sure how I feel about the front nose but the front double wishbones is a game changer.

It's also nice to see the boss of GT cars appreciate the M3 CSL.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #27
FormulaMMM
Colonel
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
1746
Rep
2,757
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
2- How does the car feel overall? Does it feel like a special vehicle? I know this is subjective. Just trying to get an idea. I am also looking at a GT4 but to me it's really not that special. My number one choice is a GT3 but the pricing may be out of my range.
It feels a world apart from the standard car and when driven hard it's like being in a mosh pit. If that's what you want, few cars do it better than the GTS.

Certainly not the GT3. Entirely different driving experience. That car is remarkable in fundamentally different ways.
__________________
M4 GTS, Z/28, GT3, C63 S | E90 M3s, E39 M5

Appreciate 1
786233.50

      11-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #28
FormulaMMM
Colonel
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
1746
Rep
2,757
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 786 View Post
This seems pretty interesting, any more details?

I also prefer oversteer to understeer and noticed that safety net built into the Porsche GT cars. Pointy =

Btw, great vid of Chris Harris geeking out on the new 992 GT3

Oh wow.. Harris got special treatment with the almost reveal. Front looks great, not a fan of the top mounted wing and busy back end. But it'll help do business on track and that's all that really matters with a GT3.
__________________
M4 GTS, Z/28, GT3, C63 S | E90 M3s, E39 M5

Appreciate 1
786233.50

      11-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #29
786
Second Lieutenant
786's Avatar
234
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

A manual one in Signal Yellow to compliment the GTS? Maybe
__________________
IG: @iivvx
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #30
FormulaMMM
Colonel
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
1746
Rep
2,757
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 786 View Post
A manual one in Signal Yellow to compliment the GTS? Maybe
Yep. Only "problem" is that the combo leaves you almost nowhere to go. can be a good and a bad thing.
__________________
M4 GTS, Z/28, GT3, C63 S | E90 M3s, E39 M5

Appreciate 1
fanatic1586.00

      11-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #31
786
Second Lieutenant
786's Avatar
234
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Yep. Only "problem" is that the combo leaves you almost nowhere to go. can be a good and a bad thing.
True. I really need a bigger house first with more garage space. Then figure out how to fill it.
__________________
IG: @iivvx
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #32
4play
Second Lieutenant
239
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 GTS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 786 View Post
This seems pretty interesting, any more details?

I also prefer oversteer to understeer and noticed that safety net built into the Porsche GT cars. Pointy =

Btw, great vid of Chris Harris geeking out on the new 992 GT3

Have already watched this and the Henry Catchpole video - should be mega.

Deman GT4:


560hp crank, 501whp, $29k

https://demanmotorsport.com/4-5l-cayman/
Appreciate 1
786233.50

      11-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #33
coryf
Enlisted Member
39
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 GTS
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: charleston sc

iTrader: (0)

The GTS is an amazing car, but in my opinion required some tweaking to get to that point. With some setup changes, the GTS has been the fastest car with a license tag on it that I have driven at our home race track. (Roebling Road) The list includes: 991.2 GT3, 991.1 Turbo S, 997 GT3, ZL1 1LE, '20 C63 S, C5 Z06, 458, modded 993 turbo, and the list goes on. I'm not trying to say the GTS is better than all those cars but it can hang with some serious company.

In the mountains (tail of the dragon) it could can hang with a well driven 991.2 GT3RS.

I would still rather have a 991 GT3 or turbo S but for the price the GTS is incredibly hard to beat. The primary reason I would rather own the Porsche's is because of the sound. The worse part of the GTS imo is the exhaust noise. Otherwise, the driving experience is fantastic.

The GT3 is an easier car to drive at the limit. Less torque, a lot of rear grip and fantastic brakes gives drivers a lot of comfort. The GTS is more "rowdy". Crazy fast but makes you work for it. I believe that is why journalist that only experienced the car for short periods of time didn't like it much. Just about anyone can hop in a GT3 and run decent lap times.

We are all blessed to be able to play with and experience cars like this. Are there better cars than a GTS? Sure, but they sure are a blast!
Appreciate 2
FormulaMMM1746.00
786233.50

      11-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #34
FormulaMMM
Colonel
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
1746
Rep
2,757
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryf View Post
The GTS is an amazing car, but in my opinion required some tweaking to get to that point. With some setup changes, the GTS has been the fastest car with a license tag on it that I have driven at our home race track. (Roebling Road) The list includes: 991.2 GT3, 991.1 Turbo S, 997 GT3, ZL1 1LE, '20 C63 S, C5 Z06, 458, modded 993 turbo, and the list goes on. I'm not trying to say the GTS is better than all those cars but it can hang with some serious company.

In the mountains (tail of the dragon) it could can hang with a well driven 991.2 GT3RS.

I would still rather have a 991 GT3 or turbo S but for the price the GTS is incredibly hard to beat. The primary reason I would rather own the Porsche's is because of the sound. The worse part of the GTS imo is the exhaust noise. Otherwise, the driving experience is fantastic.

The GT3 is an easier car to drive at the limit. Less torque, a lot of rear grip and fantastic brakes gives drivers a lot of comfort. The GTS is more "rowdy". Crazy fast but makes you work for it. I believe that is why journalist that only experienced the car for short periods of time didn't like it much. Just about anyone can hop in a GT3 and run decent lap times.

We are all blessed to be able to play with and experience cars like this. Are there better cars than a GTS? Sure, but they sure are a blast!
All of this is spot on, with the exception of the exhaust comments.
__________________
M4 GTS, Z/28, GT3, C63 S | E90 M3s, E39 M5

Appreciate 1
786233.50

      11-26-2020, 02:44 PM   #35
786
Second Lieutenant
786's Avatar
234
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

^ agreed, I love the GTS’ exhaust note

even though I do admit the GT3 is better

And ‘rowdy’ is a great way to describe the GTS, it’s just plain fun
__________________
IG: @iivvx
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #36
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
134
Rep
276
Posts

Drives: 2012 M3 (E93) Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Cupertino CA

iTrader: (0)

Love my GTS, however was very excited to hear Porsche will be coming out with 992 GT3 Touring later.

I'll be watching for one of these after they've been on the road for a while and prices come down.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #37
Parabolica
Major
Canada
565
Rep
1,106
Posts

Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_bakken View Post
Love my GTS, however was very excited to hear Porsche will be coming out with 992 GT3 Touring later.

I'll be watching for one of these after they've been on the road for a while and prices come down.
I doubt the Touring prices will fall but you never know. In Canada, the used 991.2 GT3 Touring are going for well above MSRP and we all know the pricing of the 911 R's.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 11:16 PM   #38
786
Second Lieutenant
786's Avatar
234
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_bakken View Post
Love my GTS, however was very excited to hear Porsche will be coming out with 992 GT3 Touring later.

I'll be watching for one of these after they've been on the road for a while and prices come down.
I definitely want to try a manual 992 GT3 when they come out. Bet it would be a fun car. I think I prefer the normal non-Touring body and prices will be better I’d guess. Tourings tend to retain value well.
__________________
IG: @iivvx
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #39
em4ef82
Private First Class
86
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 F82
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

On a different note I don't mind having only one GTS at the parking lot. Just this past Saturday I counted 10+ GT3's in the same car meet setting, all colors and varieties. It's like bargain sale at Target! Or could be just the Southern California bandwagon
Appreciate 1
786233.50

      11-30-2020, 10:01 PM   #40
786
Second Lieutenant
786's Avatar
234
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by em4ef82 View Post
On a different note I don't mind having only one GTS at the parking lot. Just this past Saturday I counted 10+ GT3's in the same car meet setting, all colors and varieties. It's like bargain sale at Target! Or could be just the Southern California bandwagon
Ya, so true. I was at a meet this past weekend with two identical PTS GT3s lol.

As usual, everyone was fawning all over the GTS and several people asked me what it was, did I mod a regular M4 etc. I love the rarity.
Attached Images
  
__________________
IG: @iivvx
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #41
jpdchicago
Major
777
Rep
1,052
Posts

Drives: M4 gts
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicago area

iTrader: (0)

The fact that a number of people in this forum own both a Gts and a 911 GT3 should be enough of a proof that they are both amazing cars offering different experiences.
I personally plan to add a manual GT3 to my stable but keeping the Gts for sure.
Appreciate 1
786233.50

      12-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #42
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
6418
Rep
7,740
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
The fact that a number of people in this forum own both a Gts and a 911 GT3 should be enough of a proof that they are both amazing cars offering different experiences.
I personally plan to add a manual GT3 to my stable but keeping the Gts for sure.
Like FormulaMMM, a very impressive stable indeed
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM1746.00

      12-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #43
Lienrocs
Captain
Lienrocs's Avatar
368
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, 1199 SL, HP4
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Encinitas

iTrader: (3)

GTS vs GT3 is just two ways to skin a cat. If you're fast enough on track to get to the maximum, and I mean the absolute limit of the car lap after lap, you're wasting your time with either and should just go get a real racecar if lap times are all that matter.

As far as emotion and enjoyment are concerned I enjoy my GTS just as much as I enjoy my time in a.1 RS and would pick either over my old 981 GT4. At the end of the day it's your money so get what fits your life best.
Appreciate 3
FormulaMMM1746.00
786233.50
fanatic1586.00

      12-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #44
786
Second Lieutenant
786's Avatar
234
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
The fact that a number of people in this forum own both a Gts and a 911 GT3 should be enough of a proof that they are both amazing cars offering different experiences.
I personally plan to add a manual GT3 to my stable but keeping the Gts for sure.
im thinking along the same lines to cover all bases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
As far as emotion and enjoyment are concerned I enjoy my GTS just as much as I enjoy my time in a.1 RS and would pick either over my old 981 GT4. At the end of the day it's your money so get what fits your life best.
agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Nothing different from the rest of the 'are you out of your mind' crowd around here that sings Porsches praises while taking their cars to Cars and Coffee.
you have a point there lol.

I will say the Porsche guys on RL at least like all the cars the brand makes. Stray out of the GTS sub-forum on here and some of the CS/regular M4 guys throw off such animosity towards GTS owners, it's really strange. If being charitable you can call it a different crowd, but they come off as clueless haters.
__________________
IG: @iivvx
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow6417.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST