Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #133
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I'll be accused of being a fanboy, but regardless of where the M3 placed, that was a really annoying review to watch. For all three cars.

Nice start in the drag race by the M3 driver as well. It wasn't gonna win, but the start definitely didn't help.
Yeah, it seems like it was their first one ever (according to their youtube page) and probably the last one i'll watch (unless they do an F8X again)

I remain an inherent skeptic of anyone who says the ATS-V is the best looking car of the bunch (unless that person is blind....) so I may have my bias there.

And, yeah, that drag race was funny. Like a full half second delay as he tries to drop the clutch.

But it is useful to show how varied opinions on all 3 cars can be.

Most of the ATS-V reviews praise the engine noise, this one they panned it and praised the M3 (though still favouring the Benz)

HEY!

Just realized this is actually a repost - it is the same as the CNET one from January.

Not gonna count it twice.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1217948
      03-31-2016, 02:01 PM   #134
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Wow this is amazing, thank you for putting this together. Should definitely be front page
      04-01-2016, 11:52 PM   #135
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Great stuff.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 06:38 AM   #136
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Great stuff.
Agreed, one of the best threads ever. Although, it should be renamed "F8x M3/4 haters, please read before posting unjustified critical comments (A compilation of F8x comparisons)".
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 3
      05-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #137
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

someone should do a percentage win in comparisons for the e46, the e92 and the F82

BOOM!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #138
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
someone should do a percentage win in comparisons for the e46, the e92 and the F82

BOOM!
That would be great, but the problem is finding the old data.

A lot of the old reviews/comparisons even for the E9X are already gone from the internet.

Here is my original 'sky not falling' thread where I noted that it was far from undefeated but I know that is nowhere near a complete list of E9X comparisons (or even of E9X losses), it was just what I could find with a little searching. Even then, some of those old links have probably gone dead in the time since I made the thread.

E46 will be even worse.
      05-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #139
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak
Quote:

BOOM!

A lot of the old reviews/comparisons even for the E9X are already gone from the internet.

Here is my original 'sky not falling' thread where I noted that it was far from undefeated but I know that is nowhere near a complete list of E9X comparisons (or even of E9X losses), it was just what I could find with a little searching. Even then, some of those old links have probably gone dead in the time since I made the thread.

E46 will be even worse.
Dear Lord that was a great post! I think it really shows how silly it is to follow these magazine reviews. They need to sell magazines and they are always looking for something to grab attention. Numb steering and bad sound on the E90 was my favorite. It's just history repeating itself. I feel bad for the M2 guys that right now are living in a world where they believe their car cannot do anything wrong. A year from now we'll be hearing about crappy sound, numb steering, poor "feel", not feeling "special", etc.

I, myself, may have lower standards. I enjoyed my E90 335 (except for the pot hole explosions) and my F30 335 even more so (which apparently I am in the minority). I am sure I will love the F80 when it finally gets into my hands. Each will be great in their own right. It's nice to compare tenths of a second around a track on forums to understand how these cars are improving in the hands of capable drivers but for everyday DD use on streets, it's hard to go wrong with any of these modern day sports/GT cars.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #140
kdtrieuan
Registered
Rep
Drives: yahmaha

thanks! solid read
      11-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #141
baystint
Rep
Drives: Acura TL

Comparison of what females find attractive LOL that is all
      11-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #142
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak
Quote:

BOOM!

E46 will be even worse.
Dear Lord that was a great post! I think it really shows how silly it is to follow these magazine reviews. They need to sell magazines and they are always looking for something to grab attention. Numb steering and bad sound on the E90 was my favorite. It's just history repeating itself. I feel bad for the M2 guys that right now are living in a world where they believe their car cannot do anything wrong. A year from now we'll be hearing about crappy sound, numb steering, poor "feel", not feeling "special", etc.

I, myself, may have lower standards. I enjoyed my E90 335 (except for the pot hole explosions) and my F30 335 even more so (which apparently I am in the minority). I am sure I will love the F80 when it finally gets into my hands. Each will be great in their own right. It's nice to compare tenths of a second around a track on forums to understand how these cars are improving in the hands of capable drivers but for everyday DD use on streets, it's hard to go wrong with any of these modern day sports/GT cars.
I loved my F30 too, and I love my F8X's even more. The reality is that there's no way I'd want to go back to the older hydraulic steering. I jumped back & forth between my previously owned '14 F30 and my exes '11 128i M Sport, and I just really found it lacking.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #143
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Updated the list at the top with a few new ones.

For those keeping track, out of 52 'competitions', F8X has won 32 of them (62%)

Again, heavily weighed down by British press - has won 12 of 24 there (50%). In USA press it has won 12/17 (71%) and in the rest of the world 8/11 (73%).

Also weighed down by the first couple of months of reviews where it won 4 of 9 (44%) - again, though, 7 of those 9 were British.

With its 'main' competitor (the current C63) it is 10 wins in 18 tries.

Most of the losses in the USA come from domestic competition (ATS-V, Corvette and even a Camaro SS) which proves local guys like their own cars.

So, through this point anyway, it is a car that some of the British press took a dislike to (not Chris Harris, who is a fan and owner), but the rest of the world has broadly appreciated and championed.

For those who like their data in table form, here y'all go.

Name:  M3 comparisons - November 2016.png
Views: 1223
Size:  73.5 KB

Last edited by myzmak; 11-28-2016 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #144
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

Looks like the F8X loses a lot more in the 2016 comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #145
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
New competition, I wonder how much the LCI of the M4... CS version will change that... Its getting hot in this segment.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #146
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington
Quote:
New competition, I wonder how much the LCI of the M4... CS version will change that... Its getting hot in this segment.
It doesn't seem like many of the recent reviews / comparisons are utilizing the comp pack, which is odd.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #147
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
It doesn't seem like many of the recent reviews / comparisons are utilizing the comp pack, which is odd.
? Since July of 9 comparisons 7 have involved the ZCP / Comp Pack

Quote:
Yeah, a few things to note in the trends.

(1) Many of those comparisons are by certain members of the UK press (Autocar, Car, Autoexpress), who have taken a solid dislike of the car since the start. Same pattern when it was released - larger number of losses, driven mostly by the same UK sources. Skews the numbers a bit - not unlike the old E9X M3 had its major boosters in C&D who reviewed it against everything on the road, leading to a large number of (predictable) 'wins'. With this car, if Autocar or Car test it against my old 1988 Pontiac Firefly there are even odds the 3 banger Pontiac wins it.

(2) The USA comparisons have been with new 'Murican cars (ATS-V, Camaro SS, etc) and, as much as anywhere else in the world, American reviewers are homers for their home grown cars.

....not to downplay the growth of the American car industry in the last 5 years. The ATS-V was always a in this category, but by all accounts (except sales) it is a real challenger.

The fact the ATS-V can't sell, though, is a bit of a worry - how long will GM/Caddy continue to fund an 'M3 fighter' that nobody wants to buy, no matter how good it is?
      12-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #148
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:

To be fair the E9x M3 doesn't sound that great exhaust wise stock. Its actually pretty docile. You can hear the intake way more than the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #149
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:

To be fair the E9x M3 doesn't sound that great exhaust wise stock. Its actually pretty docile. You can hear the intake way more than the exhaust.
That was an old post of mine. I now have had my M3 for 7 months and as predicted - I love the car. People nitpick but to me this car is great. I love the sound (at least from in the car), the manual is fine, acceleration great, handling more than I can ever use on the street, and I love the SO color more each day. I don't care for attention but I must receive a compliment each day. Maybe I'm just east to please but like I said I've enjoyed my E90, F30, and now F80.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #150
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:

I have said the same thing for quite some time.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #151
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 White/Fox Red CF

Quote:
The sounds of the E9x M3 are far better than the F80. There is no comparison. Both Intake and exhaust sound better than the F80. The sounds that come from the E9x M3 are just incredible.

I had an 2008 E92 M3, just traded it in for a new F80 and one thing I miss is the MOST is the sound experience. The active sound is embarrassing to say the least.

While it's true you can hear the E9x intake sounds over the exhaust, the stock 8 cyl exhaust still has an inherent sound you will never get from from the 6 cyl F80.

ummmm okay!!!!

Last edited by badbimmer; 12-24-2016 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #152
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbimmer View Post
Quote:
The sounds of the E9x M3 are far better than the F80. There is no comparison. Both Intake and exhaust sound better than the F80. The sounds that come from the E9x M3 are just incredible.

I had an 2008 E92 M3, just traded it in for a new F80 and one thing I miss is the MOST is the sound experience. The active sound is embarrassing to say the least.

While it's true you can hear the E9x intake sounds over the exhaust, the stock 8 cyl exhaust still has an inherent sound you will never get from from the 6 cyl F80.

ummmm okay!!!!
That's your opinion. Nobody said the E9X's motor didn't sound great. Pay attention to what was said and quoted.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #153
badbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 White/Fox Red CF

Quote:
That's your opinion. Nobody said the E9X's motor didn't sound great. Pay attention to what was said and quoted.
It's a fact jack, not an opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #154
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbimmer View Post
Quote:
It's a fact jack, not an opinion.
Feels suitable
Attached Images

Appreciate 0