Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
Can you afford the repairs if something breaks? If so then yeah. Would have got a 991.1 instead of F80 if I didn't have a kid
It isn't just repairs. 2018 M3 is still under free maintenance, as well as warranty.

YOLO, so if you can afford it, get the p-car, but at least drive a bunch of them to make sure you like it and that it is the right model for you.
Appreciate 2
minn1914010.50
      06-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #24
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 AY M4 - 2012 Nissan GTR

Hard pass
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 08:36 PM   #25
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Forget the Porsche for a moment. Why are you paying ~$1,300 a month for an M3?
Beat me to it. Thats what I want to know
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2215.50
      06-28-2019, 09:00 PM   #26
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I will also mention that, there are plenty of posters here that are older than you and way more experienced in this department. I'm sure almost all of them would recommend the same thing.

Be patient, think with your head and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

If you literally just got out of college, you have plenty of years ahead of you to get another car that would fit better and probably cost less. As with most people who probably just gotten out of college, this is probably the worse time you can do this unless you have the means through family to afford it.
minn1914010.50
      06-28-2019, 10:00 PM   #27
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
and people wonder why 08 happened. jesus christ
Appreciate 3
icegrill2078.00
gatorfast4988.50
      06-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #28
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Don't ever roll the taxes into your payment.... Save the $50 and buy several of the books on this list: http://nymag.com/strategist/article/...nce-books.html

And no, the Porsche isn't worth it, especially a 2013 4S. It's not special, and definitely not worth $1350 a month.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 10:49 PM   #29
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
YOLO, so if you can afford it, get the p-car, but at least drive a bunch of them to make sure you like it and that it is the right model for you.
Come on man, don't do this to the kid! Affording it isn't just being able to cover the payments. $1350 is a mortgage for someone just outta college.

OP, don't buy a used Porsche for $1350 a month. Don't buy an M3 for $1300. Unless it's a lease and you're writing it off through a business those payment numbers are insane. Save the money, do something smart with it. Use that $1300 to buy a rental property, or put away towards a business, then buy the car you want when you can actually afford it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:27 PM   #30
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

At least get the GTS. They start higher but depreciate less. Seems like a lot for a ‘13 991.1 4S. Prices will drop on standard 991.1 cars with the 992 coming out soon. CarGurus will show you some price history, compare to 997 when 991 came out.

Test out the infotainment. It’s very outdated in the p-car IMO. That stuff does matter after the excitement of the car wears off.

I looked at both and decided on the F80 to better fit my needs. But I got two little ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:44 PM   #31
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
When you compare lb for lb on what each car's re-sale value is worth, the Porsche is the better buy. BUT, like others have commented, can you afford an almost 7 year olds car repairs? (And I ask that as something to think about- not to be rude at all, I don't even know you lol) ESPECIALLY Porsche? AND- Are you willing to give up a car with new technology for a car that is 7 years old?? I have too had an itch for a Porsche a few years older than my M4 solely based on re-sale value, and I found that it is not something I wanted to do bc I want the entire package, not just a dollar saved/made.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 12:01 AM   #32
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
and people wonder why 08 happened. jesus christ
There is truth to this. #priorities
Appreciate 1
rjd5981769.50
      06-29-2019, 12:08 AM   #33
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Keep the f80...YOLO!
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 12:39 AM   #34
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

If it isn't a GT3, keep your F8X.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 01:34 AM   #35
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

If you lived in Cali/Florida and already had a daily then it might be a worthwhile change. The porsche is going to hold value much better than a new m3, but only if you keep the miles down.

I'm saying no for the fact that you don't have a daily and live in the dump that is NJ (i grew up there)

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 01:36 AM   #36
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Keep it
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-29-2019, 02:53 AM   #37
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Wait....you live at home? What about saving and/or using some of all that “good paying job” money for your own place???? If you’re doing that well buy something. Condo, studio loft, town house etc. Waaaay better investment on your money.

I just don’t get spending that much on a car?!?!? Dream car or not, I’d much rather live on my own. So you pick up a hot chic and bring her to your parents house?
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #38
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

OP sounds like you made the right decision passing on the Porsche but still have a few poor financial/life decisions under your belt like taking out a $70k loan for a car straight out of school while sill living at home. My parents would never in a million years let me make such a poor financial decision while living under their roof. But I guess some cultures/generations are different.

I know that sounds harsh but many of us "older" guys have expressed the same sentiment. Just trying to give some advice even if it's not what you want to hear. Fortunately though you are still young and have time to correct any financial/life mistakes but don't wait too long
Appreciate 3
maniz617.00
jninja514.50
      06-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #39
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Millennials, although I'm not too far from you in age, I just don't get you. AT ALL. $1,350/month on a car fresh out of college...holy shit.

Life dreams are not to be confused with life goals.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #40
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi E92 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
At least get the GTS. They start higher but depreciate less. Seems like a lot for a ‘13 991.1 4S. Prices will drop on standard 991.1 cars with the 992 coming out soon. CarGurus will show you some price history, compare to 997 when 991 came out.

Test out the infotainment. It’s very outdated in the p-car IMO. That stuff does matter after the excitement of the car wears off.

I looked at both and decided on the F80 to better fit my needs. But I got two little ones.
I've got a 14' cayenne with the same infotainment and it connects with my phone better than my 18' ZCP...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #41
dont_Mistak3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW/SO M3

I really appreciate everyone's input. I'm fully aware of the choice that I made. Agree it wasn't the BEST financial decision but the way I look at it I could be spending that money in worse ways.

Leasing was not an option for me. 1) I drive a lot 2) rates were horrible when I purchased. I'm talking $1200 LEASES. Those people who leased with those rates are the ones who should be asking themselves what they are doing with their money. (Unless you get the business benefit)

At the end of the day cars are my biggest hobby. I know I might not be thinking about the future when I say this but I don't care about having my own mortgage anytime soon. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I can handle the monthly payments for now. Already almost a year in and owe 61K in another year it'll be 50k. Time flies and before I know it it'll be paid off. Worst case I'll refinance in a year or two to recuperate some monthly cash flow.

Doesn't make sense to sell the car now, get 55-60K for it and then buy a used car. I'd rather sacrifice the extra money for my own car knowing I've been the only owner and already invested time and a good amount of money into it.

I'm 23 and single so I've got my whole life to think about a house. If I wait until I get married/have kids no way I'd be thinking about a car like this. These cars were made to be enjoyed and I shouldn't have to wait until I'm older to enjoy it if I can pull it off now while I'm young.

Once again, I really appreciate everyone's input. Tons of family/friends advised against my decision told me to invest in multi family homes, finish student loan payments, etc. I took all of that into consideration before pulling the trigger on this car. I know what I got into myself into and I'm already in it and don't plan to back out (So long as I don't have any catastrophic life changes).

This thread is starting to get a bit off topic with everyone trying to lecture me (don't mean to be rude, but the thread isn't "did I make the right financial decision"...I know the answer is no lol )

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #42
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySeatbelt View Post
Come on man, don't do this to the kid! Affording it isn't just being able to cover the payments. $1350 is a mortgage for someone just outta college.

OP, don't buy a used Porsche for $1350 a month. Don't buy an M3 for $1300. Unless it's a lease and you're writing it off through a business those payment numbers are insane. Save the money, do something smart with it. Use that $1300 to buy a rental property, or put away towards a business, then buy the car you want when you can actually afford it.
Must be nice to live in a part of the US where $1300/mo can get you a mortgage on a rental property!

A key part of my post was “if you can afford it” and that’s up to OP to figure out.

You are right, I shouldnt tell OP to go for a 4s. Better advice “GT3 or bust”.
Appreciate 1
minn1914010.50
      06-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #43
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower95 View Post
I really appreciate everyone's input. I'm fully aware of the choice that I made. Agree it wasn't the BEST financial decision but the way I look at it I could be spending that money in worse ways.

Leasing was not an option for me. 1) I drive a lot 2) rates were horrible when I purchased. I'm talking $1200 LEASES. Those people who leased with those rates are the ones who should be asking themselves what they are doing with their money. (Unless you get the business benefit)

At the end of the day cars are my biggest hobby. I know I might not be thinking about the future when I say this but I don't care about having my own mortgage anytime soon. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I can handle the monthly payments for now. Already almost a year in and owe 61K in another year it'll be 50k. Time flies and before I know it it'll be paid off. Worst case I'll refinance in a year or two to recuperate some monthly cash flow.

Doesn't make sense to sell the car now, get 55-60K for it and then buy a used car. I'd rather sacrifice the extra money for my own car knowing I've been the only owner and already invested time and a good amount of money into it.

I'm 23 and single so I've got my whole life to think about a house. If I wait until I get married/have kids no way I'd be thinking about a car like this. These cars were made to be enjoyed and I shouldn't have to wait until I'm older to enjoy it if I can pull it off now while I'm young.

Once again, I really appreciate everyone's input. Tons of family/friends advised against my decision told me to invest in multi family homes, finish student loan payments, etc. I took all of that into consideration before pulling the trigger on this car. I know what I got into myself into and I'm already in it and don't plan to back out (So long as I don't have any catastrophic life changes).

This thread is starting to get a bit off topic with everyone trying to lecture me (don't mean to be rude, but the thread isn't "did I make the right financial decision"...I know the answer is no lol )

Cheers!
Man you really have the wrong mindset and it sounds like your friends/family were trying to give you sound advise which you ignored. There are soooo many cars way less expensive than a brand new M3 that would still be very nice at 23. And you don't need to go out and buy a house or investment property like so many people seem to say in these types of discussions. How about just find a nice safe place to rent so you are not living with your parents. The simple life skills of learning to take care of yourself are invaluable. Not to mention meeting a girlfriend is kind of hard when you don't have your own place. But to each their own.
Appreciate 1
jninja514.50
      06-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #44
dont_Mistak3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower95 View Post

Cheers!
Man you really have the wrong mindset and it sounds like your friends/family were trying to give you sound advise which you ignored. There are soooo many cars way less expensive than a brand new M3 that would still be very nice at 23. And you don't need to go out and buy a house or investment property like so many people seem to say in these types of discussions. How about just find a nice safe place to rent so you are not living with your parents. The simple life skills of learning to take care of yourself are invaluable. Not to mention meeting a girlfriend is kind of hard when you don't have your own place. But to each their own.
Just because I didn't follow their advice mean that I ignored it. I actually lived 4 years alone when I went to college. My parents taught me how to cook, clean, all the "life skills" I need to be on my own. You guys act like I'll be paying this car off the rest of my life. It's a 60 month loan that's almost a year paid off. I'll be 27 when the car is paid off not like I'd have a mortgage paid off by then if I didn't have the car lol some people spend their whole lives paying it off. I'd rather enjoy my M3 than live on my own for a few years is that such a crime?

Please stop judging my financial decisions. Some people lease cars some people buy them some rent their whole life others buy a home TO EACH THEIR OWN.
Appreciate 0