proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

RE71Rs on a wet track

As long as they are rotating in the correct direction, how are RE71Rs in:

1) Drizzle. Safe to go out on track?
2) Light-Medium rain. Still safe to go out on track but go slower than you would with (say) MPSS/MP4S?
3) Heavy rain. Would you sit out the session?
      12-30-2020, 08:54 PM   #2
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Short-answer: Only wets are designed to be pushed hard in the rain.

It depends on how comfortable you are in the car and how much confidence you have in the tire's limit/car. Rain driving in the CS always got me pumped and I did it plenty of times on NT01s/Cup2s... I was usually the only one.

If you only track with DSC fully off and you have good car control, I'd definitely be out there on 71Rs in everything except heavy downpour but you shouldn't push any of those tires anywhere near as hard as you do in the dry. You'll discover a lot more of what you do well and what you do poorly in the wet. I would use MDM mode for wet though.

Here's a photo of me at Thompson on Cup 2s.

Appreciate 2
ABenLauda370.50
David0ff1059.00
      12-30-2020, 11:08 PM   #3
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

MDM or bust for sure. I've got Euro MDM coded on, which is a bit less intrusive, but will still keep the torque monster S55 in check.
I dont care what tires we are talking about, traction off in the wet and this car is a savage fishtailing beast.
Appreciate 3
ABenLauda370.50
NYG10680.00
EGbeater116.50
      12-31-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post

It depends on how comfortable you are in the car and how much confidence you have in the tire's limit/car. Rain driving in the CS always got me pumped and I did it plenty of times on NT01s/Cup2s... I was usually the only one.

If you only track with DSC fully off and you have good car control, I'd definitely be out there on 71Rs in everything except heavy downpour but you shouldn't push any of those tires anywhere near as hard as you do in the dry. You'll discover a lot more of what you do well and what you do poorly in the wet. I would use MDM mode for wet though.

LRG looking good in the wet!
Appreciate 2
NYG10680.00
ATX_M3185.50
      12-31-2020, 07:29 AM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

I've actually found the PSC2 to be very decent and enjoyable in the wet

I also love driving a wet track, it's like driving a different track every lap as the conditions change. What I despise about a rainy day is the paddock experience

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
NYG10680.00
EGbeater116.50
      12-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #6
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABenChod View Post
As long as they are rotating in the correct direction, how are RE71Rs in:

1) Drizzle. Safe to go out on track?
2) Light-Medium rain. Still safe to go out on track but go slower than you would with (say) MPSS/MP4S?
3) Heavy rain. Would you sit out the session?
Send it. I've brought 100tw nearly bald AR1's on a rain day and it was so much fun learning the limits. Just don't forget to change your driving style in the rain!

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 2
ABenLauda370.50
gum201250.50
      12-31-2020, 09:04 AM   #7
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:

I also love driving a wet track, it's like driving a different track every lap as the conditions change. What I despise about a rainy day is the paddock experience
Agree on the paddock experience, it's usually windy so you can't put up a canopy as well. I've had sessions cancelled when the rain gets too heavy at laguna seca — just too many cars go off and organizers cancel until rain let's up.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      12-31-2020, 10:23 PM   #8
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:

100%

I also was VERY impressed with the Cup 2 in the wet. As long as there was no standing water, they weren't what people describe them to be.

I did some laps on the A7 in the rain - now that was sketchy but I still had to push them decently hard before they got out of hand.
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321115.00
ABenLauda370.50
      01-01-2021, 02:49 AM   #9
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

I have spent a lot of time racing in closed road tarmac rallies. Generally people use tires similar to these, as they have to be road legal, and you have to run the same tire for the event, wet or dry. So I have spent a lot of time driving in the rain, on the limit on similar tires.

As others have said, it is really only in standing water where they struggle. In all other conditions, wet or damp roads, these tires will be quicker, once you get your head around them, and how they behave. The most crucial thingmis being able to get heat into them, which is sometimes difficult in very wet and cold conditions. Also, softer compounds are obviously better.

It will improve your driving.
Also, it might not be good for your ego, but in the wet you are likely to be quicker with MDM on.
Appreciate 3
CanAutM321115.00
ABenLauda370.50
EGbeater116.50
      01-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #10
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
I have spent a lot of time racing in closed road tarmac rallies. Generally people use tires similar to these, as they have to be road legal, and you have to run the same tire for the event, wet or dry. So I have spent a lot of time driving in the rain, on the limit on similar tires.

As others have said, it is really only in standing water where they struggle. In all other conditions, wet or damp roads, these tires will be quicker, once you get your head around them, and how they behave. The most crucial thingmis being able to get heat into them, which is sometimes difficult in very wet and cold conditions. Also, softer compounds are obviously better.

It will improve your driving.
Also, it might not be good for your ego, but in the wet you are likely to be quicker with MDM on.
So true about turning TC back on! I tried running without dsc on my e46 m3 and when I spun about 3 times in one session, I turned the dsc back on. it was a night and day difference and you were able to play at the limit far easier and learn more.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #11
AlpineF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

RE71R work great in the wet, but I think it ultimately comes down to expectation and self-restraint. Reality is, you're not going to be able to push it as hard, but you can have A LOT of fun. Driving/racing in the rain is a very valuable skill set. Your wet line may be different than your dry line, so it's good to get familiar with that.

If you feel comfortable with not just your driving skill, but also those around you, then go out there and have fun!
ABenLauda370.50
      04-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #12
EGbeater
IG: @panda_exprs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT, E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun Crankhub View Post
MDM or bust for sure. I've got Euro MDM coded on, which is a bit less intrusive, but will still keep the torque monster S55 in check.
I dont care what tires we are talking about, traction off in the wet and this car is a savage fishtailing beast.
Quote:

Hi guys, found this thread searching for "Euro MDM"... I have many, many years of track driving and autocross experience, and I normally drive with everything off, but I'm about to embark on One Lap of America, where wet track conditions are definitely a possibility; and where I will have zero familiarity with the track's layouts—aside from watching Youtube videos—before attempting to drive at 8.5 to 9/10ths on the very first lap (all three laps are timed and count toward your event score).

I've found the standard USDM MDM mode on my F80 utterly unusable for autocross, I've never actually tried it on the track (wet or dry) but a friend/more competent driver than me (Mark Melchior, a One Lap of America alumni and 4th place overall finisher in his F80 back in 2019) told me he tried it in the wet, and found it so limiting he just turned everything off during that same track session and went back to just using his own driving skill to mete out power and keep slip angle in check.

I'm about to code Euro MDM via Bimmer-Remote.com on my '16 F80 DCT ZCP... would love to hear from anyone who has Euro MDM coded and track experience with using it (in the dry or wet) at 8.5/10ths and above.

FYI my car will be running BM3 stage 2 91 octane OTS tune (just downpipes, charge pipes, J-pipe, NGK plugs @ .023", drop-in K&N filters with OEM intakes, Mishimoto oil catch can, OEM midpipe/exhaust) and we'll be on 295/30-18 Conti ECS on 10.5" wheels square. Garbage suspension setup (Swift Spec R springs, OEM Adaptive-M dampers, Hotchkis front swaybar set at one-hole-up-from-full-soft, one-side-only, Vorshlag camber plates maxxed out at 3.5°, track alignment). No aero.
PM ME FOR USED F8x PARTS! What's left: brand-new pair of VNE front brake rotors; used Ferodo DS3.12 and PFC08 front track pads and used Stoptech Sport and OEM rear brake pads; Apex wheel black center caps (brand new, never used) qty 3
MEDIA: @panda_exprs youtube.com/user/EGbeater/videos
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 06:21 PM   #13
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGbeater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun Crankhub View Post
Quote:

Hi guys, found this thread searching for "Euro MDM"... I have many, many years of track driving and autocross experience, and I normally drive with everything off, but I'm about to embark on One Lap of America, where wet track conditions are definitely a possibility; and where I will have zero familiarity with the track's layouts—aside from watching Youtube videos—before attempting to drive at 8.5 to 9/10ths on the very first lap (all three laps are timed and count toward your event score).

I've found the standard USDM MDM mode on my F80 utterly unusable for autocross, I've never actually tried it on the track (wet or dry) but a friend/more competent driver than me (Mark Melchior, a One Lap of America alumni and 4th place overall finisher in his F80 back in 2019) told me he tried it in the wet, and found it so limiting he just turned everything off during that same track session and went back to just using his own driving skill to mete out power and keep slip angle in check.

I'm about to code Euro MDM via Bimmer-Remote.com on my '16 F80 DCT ZCP... would love to hear from anyone who has Euro MDM coded and track experience with using it (in the dry or wet) at 8.5/10ths and above.

FYI my car will be running BM3 stage 2 91 octane OTS tune (just downpipes, charge pipes, J-pipe, NGK plugs @ .023", drop-in K&N filters with OEM intakes, Mishimoto oil catch can, OEM midpipe/exhaust) and we'll be on 295/30-18 Conti ECS on 10.5" wheels square. Garbage suspension setup (Swift Spec R springs, OEM Adaptive-M dampers, Hotchkis front swaybar set at one-hole-up-from-full-soft, one-side-only, Vorshlag camber plates maxxed out at 3.5°, track alignment). No aero.
With that tune in the wet, that's asking for trouble, but I always run with nannies off (except the out lap).

you could torque limit by gear significantly (30-40%) and make the wet "drivable", but that's a lot of power in the wet with those tires.
Appreciate 1
EGbeater116.50
      04-14-2021, 07:00 PM   #14
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I actually bought a set of RE71’s for wet track days on a spare set of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #15
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
I actually bought a set of RE71's for wet track days on a spare set of wheels.
Where are you finding RE71Rs in stock?
      04-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #16
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I bought them last fall for a weekend at COTA that looked wet. I will put a set of square NT01’s or Goodyear super car 3s next on my square set 10” rear 513’s.

With spacers these will fit both the M4 and M2.

Michelin PS4S and PSS hold up really good for a wet weekend, might be a good choice for a wet track tire. I’ve taken both to COTA when it was wet.

In February I drove to Austin on a 2 track day driven set of NT01’s in the rain for Carrera of the Americas, really sketchy on the back roads. They were great for 3 days on the track. Again on the way back to Houston in the rain I was driving very carefully.

Last edited by Suds; 04-14-2021 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:54 PM   #17
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
PSC2 are terrible in low temp, very snappy vs. gradual RE71Rs which still heat up like boss even in sub 30F conditions.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:02 AM   #18
EGbeater
IG: @panda_exprs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT, E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
With that tune in the wet, that's asking for trouble, but I always run with nannies off (except the out lap).

you could torque limit by gear significantly (30-40%) and make the wet "drivable", but that's a lot of power in the wet with those tires.
Thanks fanatic1, if conditions are poor/superwet, I'll probably flash the Bootmod3 tune back to the "stage zero" M4 GTS tune.
PM ME FOR USED F8x PARTS! What's left: brand-new pair of VNE front brake rotors; used Ferodo DS3.12 and PFC08 front track pads and used Stoptech Sport and OEM rear brake pads; Apex wheel black center caps (brand new, never used) qty 3
MEDIA: @panda_exprs youtube.com/user/EGbeater/videos
Appreciate 0