European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

03-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #67
packet.pilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: test mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
Could you link me to the post that lists the steps for coding out ASD?

Are the steps listed below correct?

1.Open up Esys and select as target F020 without DIRECT
2.Read FA, right click and Activate FA
3.Read ECU (the modules list will show up)
4.Select the ASD module, right click and select “Read coding data”
5.Then select the CAFD file, right click and select “Edit FDL”
6.Use the cheat codes to disable ASD.

7. Save the CAFD and click on the Back arrow.

8. With the CAFD file selected, click on “Code FDL” on the right side of the screen and wait for the magic to happen.
Fixed that for you, in bold.

Things that've been designed to make operations easy are worth using.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #68
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Pip View Post
I had ASD for about a year ... then got the JB4 ... and turn off ASD (BC stalk button) ...

I still prefer ASD switched ON than not

And ... I also find keeping the exo flap permanently open (via JB4), causes some noticeable lag compared to keeping the exo flap at Auto.
Neat, did not realize JB4 had those options. They don't really market that in their materials. By lag I assume you're talking about throttle response? Any experience with Map 5?

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 12:59 AM   #69
///Pip
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M4 M2C M340i 718Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
Neat, did not realize JB4 had those options. They don't really market that in their materials. By lag I assume you're talking about throttle response? Any experience with Map 5?

Yeah lagging throttle response

Here's a quick reference on what else JB4 can do at the convenience of pressing the BC button on the indicator stalk

'***************************************
Exhaust Valve Mode:

Toggle between flap open, flap closed, and OEM operation, by pressing the button for 2 seconds and letting go. The left blinker will flash for valve open, right blinker for valve closed, and both blinkers for OEM operation. The valve setting is persistent and will remain in effect until you change it. If you hold the button too long you'll jump in to the in dash menu system below.

'OBDII In Dash Menu

'0 map menu, map shown on tach (TACH shows Map)
'1 Active Sound MUTE. (Tach = 0 (off/don't mute) Tach =1 (disable active sound))
'2 Boost gauge on fuel, scaling in dash is 0 to boost safety setting, turns on when gas pedal is pressed 50% or more and turns itself off when you resume low throttle use. (Tach = 0 (off) Tach =1 (on))
'3 LED MAX brightness mode. For those with factory LED headlights this option brightens HALO during nighttime operation. (Tach = 0 (off) Tach =1 (on))
'4 OBDII Diagnostic Code Delete. (Tach = 0 (off) Tach =1 (on))
'5 1st gear boost limiter. (Tach = boost cap / 3)
'6 2nd gear boost limiter. (Tach = boost cap / 3)
'7 3rd gear boost limiter. (Tach = boost cap / 3)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #70
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Here's another comparison video I have found. 2:15 mark

06-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #71
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Here's another comparison video I have found. 2:15 mark

That is a great video. Being able to toggle between the two clearly distinguishes the two sounds.

Active sound still sucks

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #72
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Active sound would be nice if everyone OUTSIDE the car was hearing the same engine noise you were hearing inside. Otherwise it's just all in your head.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #73
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

thanks for the vid; I pulled the plug.
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      02-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #74
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Sedan

[QUOTE=///M///;19428855]Update: 05/10/16:
The video shows a very lengthy method for unplugging it so I found a shortcut. All I did was remove the plastic piece that goes along the trunk lock area as described in the video and another couple of button clips near the left tail light. Then I just pulled back on the trim which gave me enough room to slide in a long needle nose plier which I used to move that lock up and then pull the plug out. Took me 6 minutes and I could possibly do it in 4 now

Thanks for this - I did the quick 5-minute route too yesterday and it was pretty easy though I'm not sure I could plug it back in using same shortcut. Definitely quieter, even with my AA midpipe, stock ZCP exhaust and valves open but the sound and location of sounds are now "normal"!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #75
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Active sound would be nice if everyone OUTSIDE the car was hearing the same engine noise you were hearing inside. Otherwise it's just all in your head.
Like the voices?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #76
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
Like the voices?
Exactly like the voices.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #77
FLEW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Update: 05/10/16: I finally got around to the coding and decided to get the ASD coded off altogether. Plugged it back in and removed the ASD via coding. Next buyer will thank me

So finally got around to doing this today and words cannot describe how much better the car sounds

Here is the video that shows the process if you don't go the coding route (not my video).

The video shows a very lengthy method for unplugging it so I found a shortcut. All I did was remove the plastic piece that goes along the trunk lock area as described in the video and another couple of button clips near the left tail light. Then I just pulled back on the trim which gave me enough room to slide in a long needle nose plier which I used to move that lock up and then pull the plug out. Took me 6 minutes and I could possibly do it in 4 now

So how does it feel? Huge huge difference

To give a little background, when I first test drove the F8X back in August 2014 I immediately noticed that loud Whhhirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in the cabin when I got on it in first and second. I remember very clearly that I did not like that sound but didn't know anything about the Active sound feature so figured that's what the car sounds like Fast forward to August 2015 when I took delivery of my 2016 M3 at the Welt and my wife pointed it out too barely 15 miles into the drive. She said "This car is so much louder inside than our previous M3". At the time I did not know that the active sound could be disabled. Thanks to stressdoc I saw his thread and decided to give it a shot. So here are my thoughts and I will try to describe it as accurately as I can...

Pros:
- 100% Natural sound. And by that I mean, I now hear all sounds coming from outside of the car. It's hard to describe but I still do hear the exhaust when I go WOT and I do hear the engine but the sound comes from the outside and not as much from the inside

- When I go WOT, I can actually hear my amazing MPE a lot better and the turbo spool is a lot more audible

- No more of that annoying Whirrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

- I no longer have to turn up the HK to hear it. Music is not drowned out by that god awful noise.

- Car is so much quieter in the cabin at cruising and especially at idle. You will truly be amazed at the difference in the cabin noise. It goes down substantially.

- The car feels like it has good sound proofing.

Cons:
- I can hear more squeaks

- The car feels slower

So for anyone wondering what I mean by the Whirrrrrrr sound, the above video captures exactly what I am talking about. Watch it at exactly 7:17 and you will instantly recognize it. Then watch the video after he unplugs the active sound and you will notice it's gone.

I would encourage everyone to try this atleast once. You can always plug it back in if you don't like it.

I have a quick question for those who already unplugged it - Did you guys tape the plug after removing it? I didn't thing it was needed because all the points are recessed in so I left it like that.
Just did this and wow. It's night and day with me. That amplified sound always bothered me. It's like I can hear the muffler sound coming from the front of the engine. With Active Sound off it's actually coming from the rear as it should be. Cockpit is quieter but I still hear my MPE as loud as it was with it on. Hard to explain. I never describe anything using the word "wonderful" but active sound OFF is wonderful
SherM4n630.00
      01-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #78
Atom Ant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i 6MT (2017)

I disabled ASD via an iphone app, but i don’t have burbling sound. If i would turn off ASD trough this manual way, would i get back the burbling?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #79
zarusoba
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2015

thx for sharing! gonna get rid of the ASD physically in order to keep the burble
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 07:29 AM   #80
Atom Ant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i 6MT (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarusoba View Post
thx for sharing! gonna get rid of the ASD physically in order to keep the burble
The burble also coming from the speaker?
Appreciate 0