Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
msmching
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini White Driving Machine

Is BMW Burble actually good or bad?

I am going to say I am new to this and I have been trying to learn more about our cars. Going to need some of your expertise!

I got this from a website:
Exhaust Burble on Deceleration

An exhaust burble, or throaty popping noise which could be likened to a babbling brook, is has a different cause if it only occurs when suddenly backing off on a vehicle's throttle. Essentially, the sudden easing off the throttle causes an immediate decrease in exhaust emissions to the degree that atmospheric pressure surrounding the exhaust pipe pushes cool air up into the exhaust system. This air collides with the warm exhaust gasses and creates a rumbling not unlike thunder. Normally this will only happen if the tailpipe has too wide a diameter to maintain equalized air pressure, or there is a seam in the exhaust pipes which is not air tight.

Is that why, (If i m not mistaken), people with modified crazy burbles are more likely to "break" something in the car IF they are on all stock components?

Using BM3 as example,
There are people who's saying it's okay to go with Stage 2 on all stock parts, and the other half says No, its not recommended. (PTF mentioned it's okay if its not driven hard/on tracks)

Can i safely assume that a person running Stage 2 on all stock parts and with Burbles turned off, will be better? Or basically any stage, just tune the car with Burbles off, will be better for the car overall?

Don't tell me its BMW, just push it. lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmching View Post
I am going to say I am new to this and I have been trying to learn more about our cars. Going to need some of your expertise!

I got this from a website:
Exhaust Burble on Deceleration

An exhaust burble, or throaty popping noise which could be likened to a babbling brook, is has a different cause if it only occurs when suddenly backing off on a vehicle's throttle. Essentially, the sudden easing off the throttle causes an immediate decrease in exhaust emissions to the degree that atmospheric pressure surrounding the exhaust pipe pushes cool air up into the exhaust system. This air collides with the warm exhaust gasses and creates a rumbling not unlike thunder. Normally this will only happen if the tailpipe has too wide a diameter to maintain equalized air pressure, or there is a seam in the exhaust pipes which is not air tight.

Is that why, (If i m not mistaken), people with modified crazy burbles are more likely to "break" something in the car IF they are on all stock components?

Using BM3 as example,
There are people who's saying it's okay to go with Stage 2 on all stock parts, and the other half says No, its not recommended. (PTF mentioned it's okay if its not driven hard/on tracks)

Can i safely assume that a person running Stage 2 on all stock parts and with Burbles turned off, will be better? Or basically any stage, just tune the car with Burbles off, will be better for the car overall?

Don't tell me its BMW, just push it. lol.
The burbling described in your post is not the type happening on a ZCP, CS, GTS, or tuned car. There are quite a few threads that discuss/debate/explain burbles.

Here's an entertaining info vid by Donut Media on this topic (our cars operate via the "bang bang" method):
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

The delayed ignition which continues the combustion on the upstroke of the exhaust cycle. Forcing the exhaust valve to open into the combustion chamber thats under the explosion. Which would transmit those forces from exhaust valve to camshaft the into the crank hub sprocket.

I think I am going to turn off all burbles and not use sport+ mode until somebody provides proof on what causes crank hub slippage.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
The delayed ignition which continues the combustion on the upstroke of the exhaust cycle. Forcing the exhaust valve to open into the combustion chamber thats under the explosion. Which would transmit those forces from exhaust valve to camshaft the into the crank hub sprocket.

I think I am going to turn off all burbles and not use sport+ mode until somebody provides proof on what causes crank hub slippage.
lol what? That's the first time I have heard burbles being linked to a spun crank hub. I think there have been non competition pkg cars which have spun which don't burble.

On another note, you do realize the number of reported spun crank hubs on here is extremely small and it appears to be a very rare occurrence right?
Appreciate 5
minn1914018.00
r0wr589.00
PhatLyfe985.00
      12-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

:begin rant:

I for one fucking hate burbles or whatever you want to call it on this car. Sounds artificial and whoever started this trend should be shot. I come from the days where a good exhaust system goes Vroom Vroom... not pop pop pop poppa poppa pop pop like i'm making fucking popcorn

:end rant:

Last edited by Alan l.; 12-09-2018 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 13
ntg442888.50
ptper589.00
M3Meh15.00
IK6SPEED4486.00
guess2098516.00
JamesGames1326.00
TimmyM56241.50
blockdoc373.00
Poochie9103.00
      12-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #6
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Burbles are like the rice of BMW...useless and annoying. First thing to get disabled in my M2 Comp tune.
      12-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
you cant just go with a burble tune. you will also need to start calling everyone bruh. if you already call everyone bruh, your good to go. and burbles dont cause sch, a loose piston return spring causes sch.
      12-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
Lee808
Out in the middle of the sea
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I for one fucking hate burbles or whatever you want to call it on this car. Sounds artificial and whoever started this trend should be shot. I come from the days where a good exhaust system goes Vroom Vroom... not pop pop pop poppa poppa pop pop like i'm making fucking popcorn :end rant:
You should shoot BMW then. It started with the comp pack...btw you should try to relax. Too much rant is not good. Not good at all...no sir
Appreciate 3
ntg442888.50
mrkmtchll285.00
      12-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

I'm ambivalent whether I like them or not. My '18 ZCP only got louder w/ the AA mid + Remus exhaust. It's definitely distinctly S55 - you can hear it from a mile away.

On cold or colder starts, it doesn't burble for <minute upon D. Would I miss it? Don't know and don't dislike it enough to make it go away. I highly disliked the buzzsaw rattle of the E46 M3 stock exhaust. Now THAT I got rid of via aftermarket parts.
      12-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #10
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I for one fucking hate burbles or whatever you want to call it on this car. Sounds artificial and whoever started this trend should be shot. I come from the days where a good exhaust system goes Vroom Vroom... not pop pop pop poppa poppa pop pop like i'm making fucking popcorn :end rant:
blame Jaguar and the F-Type for the sudden trend.

I kinda like it because I’m a 5 year old at heart. :X
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 3
      12-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #11
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Didn't realize the comp cars did this so frequently. In the beginning, loved it, now driving into work early in the morning, it's getting old. Better half thought something was wrong with the car, lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
lol what? That's the first time I have heard burbles being linked to a spun crank hub. I think there have been non competition pkg cars which have spun which don't burble.

On another note, you do realize the number of reported spun crank hubs on here is extremely small and it appears to be a very rare occurrence right?
Yes, I know its rare and happens across the board; manual, dct, tune, stock, ZCP.

How else does the Sport + mode keep boost spooled up, if not for some minor level of delayed ignition programing? Sure it doesn't burble or gunshot, but it does have increase pressure for near zero lag.

At this point its all speculation on what causes the slipping. I simply will choose to limit possibilities until we are told what/why the slipping happens. I sure can't afford a 10,000-20,000 repair bill.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #13
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

IM not a big fan either, on the other end. my 450hp+ sports sedan cant sound like a lawnmower. so its not like there is a silver lning
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #14
henrylee
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT

IMO It’s a good thing for sound!
      12-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #15
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

OP is asking if Burbles harm the engine...I think it's best not turn this into a burble fan club debate. AFAIK, the burbles only harm the CATs in the long term and maybe the O2 sensors? I'd also like to know what other affects it may have...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #16
FTP20
Private
Rep
Drives: Four door ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Burbles are like the rice of BMW...useless and annoying. First thing to get disabled in my M2 Comp tune.
I have finally found some like minded people
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #17
msmching
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini White Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbueno View Post
OP is asking if Burbles harm the engine...I think it's best not turn this into a burble fan club debate. AFAIK, the burbles only harm the CATs in the long term and maybe the O2 sensors? I'd also like to know what other affects it may have...
After i saw people talking mahout like and dislikes, I knew it's kinda out of my hands 😂

But still, interesting to know there's actually quite a few people not in favor of burbles.

Main reason for this thread is just because I have seen people saying the AGG tune or aggressive burble will kill cats... so I was curious if burbles are actually....bad.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2018, 12:41 AM   #18
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

that excessive popping.....

we spent many hours laughing at rice rockets w/ fart pipes/cans over a decade ago.
      12-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #19
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Over time everything takes its toll, that includes every single part on the car
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #20
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:

BAHAHAHAHAHA

You're going to neuter your car until someone can prove something wont happen that's as rare as getting struck by lightning.
Appreciate 3
blockdoc373.00
r0wr589.00
mgm.m419.50
      12-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #21
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:

Nearly all confirmed SCH happened in the first 15-16 months of F8x production. Most were non comp pack.

The factors leading up to a SCH are open for debate but it stands to reason that the more power you produce, the more stress on the engine, the more likely ANY negative outcome is to occur. People have reported using the "kickdown" feature on DCT is something they wish to avoid.

If you wish to avoid Sport + because of the way power delivery occurs and you're THATworried about spinning your crank hub, that I can sorta understand, although its the most conservative approach to driving a race car I can imagine. However, it has nothing to do with burbles.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #22
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTP20 View Post
I have finally found some like minded people