EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #23
mdharper007
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 ZCP

I've been reading Bimmerpost for ages and am extremely happy with my stock car, officers.

I was wondering about modding my car, an F82. I've satiated the bug so far by throwing CF all around the inside and out, but am thinking about shooting for 550hp, which is what the other car I was thinking about buying had *cough Jaguar F-Type R cough*.

Seems to get that I need DPs, flash, e85, chargepipes and the jury's out on a crank hub fix, which is around $5-10k depending on the parts and labor rates. But doing so will cause issues at smog. So the fix is to go back to stock to pass smog. Then put everything back on. So its like $5k per year in labor? I'm better off saving for 4yrs and buying an used 5.0 mustang. Is the labor for the smog-fix market less than the initial install?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 09:24 PM   #24
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdharper007 View Post
I've been reading Bimmerpost for ages and am extremely happy with my stock car, officers.

I was wondering about modding my car, an F82. I've satiated the bug so far by throwing CF all around the inside and out, but am thinking about shooting for 550hp, which is what the other car I was thinking about buying had *cough Jaguar F-Type R cough*.

Seems to get that I need DPs, flash, e85, chargepipes and the jury's out on a crank hub fix, which is around $5-10k depending on the parts and labor rates. But doing so will cause issues at smog. So the fix is to go back to stock to pass smog. Then put everything back on. So its like $5k per year in labor? I'm better off saving for 4yrs and buying an used 5.0 mustang. Is the labor for the smog-fix market less than the initial install?
Just swap downpipes and flash back to stock for smog time. Shouldn't cost you more than $300.

Keep the OEM intakes and buy a stealth charge pipe (eg Mishimoto) and you'll pass visual.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2021, 12:45 PM   #25
mdharper007
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Just swap downpipes and flash back to stock for smog time. Shouldn't cost you more than $300.

Keep the OEM intakes and buy a stealth charge pipe (eg Mishimoto) and you'll pass visual.
Thanks! I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but didn't trust the vague 'reasonable' prices talked about in those threads.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 09:28 PM   #26
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

I have an AWE switchpath exhaust which deleted the secondary cats. I have the stock downpipes. When my car gets smogged will it pass with the AWE exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 10:18 PM   #27
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
I have an AWE switchpath exhaust which deleted the secondary cats. I have the stock downpipes. When my car gets smogged will it pass with the AWE exhaust?
Only if you know a guy who doesn't care about visual inspection. If you go to a shop that doesn't know you, they will fail you for visual. Your car will still pass via the OBD2 test provided all monitors are ready.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 10:38 PM   #28
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Only if you know a guy who doesn't care about visual inspection. If you go to a shop that doesn't know you, they will fail you for visual. Your car will still pass via the OBD2 test provided all monitors are ready.
Ah hmmmm
Appreciate 0