GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #23
EasyBimmerCoding
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0449 View Post
It crashes almost immediately if you try to use the OEM navigation.
This is 100% NOT Correct.

It will only lag and possibly reboot if use OEM Navigation with route guidance enabled for long trips.

Simply don't use OEM Nav with Route Guidance and it will run Seamless as others have said.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 06:34 PM   #24
EasyBimmerCoding
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidozoom View Post
Strange. On my 2016 M4 it doesn't crash at all. I'll try to take a video later tonight if switching to OEM nav - it works fine. I am told that the only time it crashes if I try to plan a really long route with OEM nav - haven't tried that.
This is CORRECT, appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #25
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

Here's a video that shows using OEM maps when using Carplay. The cool thing is you can use them side by side which you can't do with a MMI (which I believe overtakes the full screen).

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aqt9N6EPV4G0grlH7cqu1bWUmDt0Iw

You can also see in the video how I've mapped the shortcut buttons to specific Carplay screens and also OEM screens (Maps), how you can use OEM maps side by side with Carplay audio view and how you can seamlessly switch between them. You can even have OEM maps guidance voice over the Carplay audio (you don't hear carplay audio in the video as I am using the same iphone to record video and iOS cuts audio from the phone when recording video).

I do this (switching between OEM screens and carplay) quite often though I don't use OEM maps anywhere. I haven't had a single crash since I got the flash done and its been several months.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the result. The only thing is I had to get the HeadUnit reflashed ($75) after I had to get my car updated but I don't expect to update the car atleast for another 2-3 years.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 07:39 PM   #26
EasyBimmerCoding
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidozoom View Post
Here's a video that shows using OEM maps when using Carplay. The cool thing is you can use them side by side which you can't do with a MMI (which I believe overtakes the full screen).

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aqt9N6EPV4G0grlH7cqu1bWUmDt0Iw

You can also see in the video how I've mapped the shortcut buttons to specific Carplay screens and also OEM screens (Maps), how you can use OEM maps side by side with Carplay audio view and how you can seamlessly switch between them. You can even have OEM maps guidance voice over the Carplay audio (you don't hear carplay audio in the video as I am using the same iphone to record video and iOS cuts audio from the phone when recording video).

I do this (switching between OEM screens and carplay) quite often though I don't use OEM maps anywhere. I haven't had a single crash since I got the flash done and its been several months.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the result. The only thing is I had to get the HeadUnit reflashed ($75) after I had to get my car updated but I don't expect to update the car atleast for another 2-3 years.
Thanks for the vid and the writeup!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:10 AM   #27
steeps5
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW 228xi, '17 Ford Escape

Does this process change the button arrangement on the iDrive controller?

Edit:

From what I found in pictures of a 2018 F23, this is the new controller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224433611263

Is it recommended to replace this?

Last edited by steeps5; Today at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0