GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-22-2021, 07:17 AM   #1
NoVaF82
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Drivetrain Malfunction: Pressor Sensor Clutch Sticking

Last week I was driving my '15 F82 DCT. It was in automatic mode. I decided to take over and shift from 3rd to 4th. When I did this, the car threw drive train malfunction and put the car in neutral. Once I pulled over, I shut the car off (my mistake) and it went into park. I am now unable to restart the car.

The error is 40D201 Pressure Sesnor Clutch 2 Sticking

Does anyone have ANY ideas at all on what the fix is before we start diggin through the transmission?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
You need to get ISTA+ on a laptop and hook it up. Read the error and see what it recommends for procedure.

Or take it to a INDY or dealership. Once DCT is stuck, not much you can do without the right diags.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #3
NoVaF82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
You need to get ISTA+ on a laptop and hook it up. Read the error and see what it recommends for procedure.

Or take it to a INDY or dealership. Once DCT is stuck, not much you can do without the right diags.
Yeah it's at my local shop now and what is being told to us is to replace the pressure sensor and rpm sensor located inside the transmission. I was just hoping someone on here has had the same problem and could verify if that fixed it.

Dropping the transmission for 2 sensors is a relatively expensive job when it's still possible that there's another cause to the issue that needs to be addressed.

The engine isn't even turning on (I assume to proctect the transmission) so we can't attack the problem from that angle.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:28 AM   #4
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaF82 View Post
Yeah it's at my local shop now and what is being told to us is to replace the pressure sensor and rpm sensor located inside the transmission. I was just hoping someone on here has had the same problem and could verify if that fixed it.

Dropping the transmission for 2 sensors is a relatively expensive job when it's still possible that there's another cause to the issue that needs to be addressed.

The engine isn't even turning on (I assume to proctect the transmission) so we can't attack the problem from that angle.
DCT is pretty solid tranny if you compare it to SGM 1/2/3. You wont find many talking about issues yet.

Let us know what the issue and fix was in detail for the next person.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:45 AM   #5
NoVaF82
Rep

Update - Crank Hub Failure

Unfortunately, it appears as though my problem was the same as many others. A crank hub failure that led to complete engine failure.

The surprising part is that the crank hub failed under relatively normal driving conditions on a stock dct f82. It's disappointing to know that it could really happen at any time.

"New" engine from Mparts WW and a V2 VTT Crank Bolt Capture and Crank Hub are on the way. Hoping to get back on the road next weekend.

My word to the wise: IF YOU HAVENT REPLACED YOUR CRANK HUB, DO IT NOW!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 07:21 AM   #6
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Last week I was driving my '15 F82 DCT. It was in automatic mode. I decided to take over and shift from 3rd to 4th. When I did this, the car threw drive train malfunction and put the car in neutral. Once I pulled over, I shut the car off (my mistake) and it went into park. I am now unable to restart the car.

The error is 40D201 Pressure Sesnor Clutch 2 Sticking

Does anyone have ANY ideas at all on what the fix is before we start diggin through the transmission?
you were overtaking someone? so do you mean you downshifted and went from 4th to 3rd, not vice versa? if so, that makes a lot more sense if you have a SCH. did you feel the cabin of the car kinda shudder and shift forwards when it happened? hopefully just a timing issue and no engine damage but when this happened to mine I was actually still able to start the car. essentially it just had a long crank on startup. I actually drove my car to the dealership and kept the shifts under 3k in s1 with the mildest of downshifts as possible. in hindsight I should've just towed it. how'd you get it on the flatbed if you couldn't put it into neutral?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #7
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Not that it makes a difference, but I'm curious how many miles?
      07-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #8
NoVaF82
Rep

No I was just driving on for fun, I mean that I took over from the car and began to shift manually. The car was in automatic mode and I engaged the shifter. I was in 3rd gear at high RPMs and I noticed the car hadn't shifted to 4th yet so that prompted me to take over and manually shift the car. As soon as I manually shifted the car, the engine went into nuetral and Drive Teain Malfunction appeared on the cluster.

I coasted to the side of the road and shut the car off. It never cranked from that moment forward. I never received any engine codes, which is why I didn't think SCH right away.

The engine unfortunately is toast. Metal in the filter, and the timing chain came completely off. Engine is coming out tomorrow and I'll get a better look at everything.

After doing some digging, we discovered the rpm sensor in the transmission has also failed. I'm not an expert by any means but my guess is the rpm sensor failed which cause the transmission to engage the wrong gear. Maybe because the sensor failed, when I went to shift the car, instead of going to 4th gear it went to 2nd or 1st and spun the hub. That's my working theory right now.

Either way, it's another SCH on a stock F8x. The engine was in otherwise perfect condition but high mileage -80k.

My "new" engine is 2018 with 20k miles on it and it's going in this week. I'm hoping for a smooth transition but I foresee issues with the '15 transmission communicating with a '18 motor but who knows. Maybe I'll have some good luck.

Bottom line: I'll never own an another M4 without upgraded crank hub even if it's stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #9
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
sorry to hear. what crankhub solution you going with on the new engine?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 02:46 PM   #10
NoVaF82
Rep

To answer your tow question, the tow company took great care of me. I happened to know the owner of the company AAA sent so he dispatched a wheel lift truck and put it on dolleys.

And to the feeling question, I didn't feel or hear a thing when the incident happened. No shutter, no explosion, no bang, no lurch. It just went silent. Again, why I didn't think SCH at all. It was bizzare but the evidence doesn't lie.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 02:48 PM   #11
NoVaF82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
I got the VTT V2 Crank Bolt Capture and Spline Crank Hub. For the price and ease of install, I don't think it can be beat. I'm really excited to see it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #12
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
I got the VTT V2 Crank Bolt Capture and Spline Crank Hub. For the price and ease of install, I don't think it can be beat. I'm really excited to see it tomorrow.
who is doing the install? from my research it seems like a good choice
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 07:37 AM   #13
NoVaF82
Rep

Just my the local Indy shop I take my car to here in northern virginia. The mechanic is familiar with the spline lock model and says it won't be a problem at all. I trust them - he's doing the complete engine replacement as well.
Appreciate 0