GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Most OEM springs

Do you guys recommend any HAS or regular springs that match the OEM damper rates the best?

I am looking for a subtle drop and to maintain EDC while keeping similiar performance
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

I am also looking to buy springs, for a slight drop, while maintaing OEM look and functionality. 2020 M4 Competition
      05-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Not sure what you guys consider a "subtle" drop, but there likely exists other BMW OE or aftermarket (like M-Perf) springs that can achieve what you want.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
ogakul
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I went for Eibach springs this week and I'm very happy with it!

Also wanted just a slight drop to get rid of the huge gap in the front.

Driving feels more comfortable in Comfort EDC mode and handling is also improved in sport/sport+

EDIT: They drop 20mm in front and 5-10mm in the rear.

Last edited by ogakul; 05-08-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
MNR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Hate to be 'that guy' but no aftermarket spring and OEM shock combo is going to ride like stock. I must have read this 100 times prior to purchasing springs and resented it thinking it was just people drinking the KoolAid.

My Swifts, while providing a perfect drop, made the car a good bit stiffer and really accentuated the need for proper damping. The issue is not the springs, but rather the OEM shocks.

I recently took a spin in my buddies car with EMD springs and while they were a tiny bit more forgiving, the oscillations and floatiness characteristics are still very noticeable. If I had to choose a spring setup again knowing what I know now, I think I would choose EMD's due to the slightly softer ride and just deal with the added drop over Swifts.

Having said that, I just pulled the trigger on B16 Damptronics as my car with Swifts was nearly painful to drive. With every bump and pavement imperfection you could literally feel the car dancing underneath you which is a no go for me.

If I were in your shoes, MPHAS or coilovers would be my only move. Looking back at it, I wish I jumped to coilovers from the get go. Lowering springs are a bandaid - and a bad one at that.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
ogakul
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Can't confirm the above. As said I'm very happy with the Eibach springs and they probably give you the most OEM-like setup.

Also a lot of users here are happy with them too: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=eibach
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #7
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNR View Post
Hate to be 'that guy' but no aftermarket spring and OEM shock combo is going to ride like stock. I must have read this 100 times prior to purchasing springs and resented it thinking it was just people drinking the KoolAid.

My Swifts, while providing a perfect drop, made the car a good bit stiffer and really accentuated the need for proper damping. The issue is not the springs, but rather the OEM shocks.

I recently took a spin in my buddies car with EMD springs and while they were a tiny bit more forgiving, the oscillations and floatiness characteristics are still very noticeable. If I had to choose a spring setup again knowing what I know now, I think I would choose EMD's due to the slightly softer ride and just deal with the added drop over Swifts.

Having said that, I just pulled the trigger on B16 Damptronics as my car with Swifts was nearly painful to drive. With every bump and pavement imperfection you could literally feel the car dancing underneath you which is a no go for me.

If I were in your shoes, MPHAS or coilovers would be my only move. Looking back at it, I wish I jumped to coilovers from the get go. Lowering springs are a bandaid - and a bad one at that.
can you guys describe the dancing underneath feeling? is it like underdamped(dash and you feel the pain) or overdamped (car nicely floats, you feel the movement in shocks very obviously)

If it is overdamping problems, I have heard that B16 damptronics are also terrible, check ntg44's b16 thread.

Right now I am with eibach springs, b6 non edc ones. I can feel the difference so clear. I feel that it is way overdamped. Looking for a solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:30 PM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deli333 View Post
can you guys describe the dancing underneath feeling? is it like underdamped(dash and you feel the pain) or overdamped (car nicely floats, you feel the movement in shocks very obviously)

If it is overdamping problems, I have heard that B16 damptronics are also terrible, check ntg44's b16 thread.

Right now I am with eibach springs, b6 non edc ones. I can feel the difference so clear. I feel that it is way overdamped. Looking for a solution.
Overdamped should feel stiff and harsh. Underdamped is vague/floaty/uncontrolled. Typically Bilstein B6/8/14/16 offerings are all overdamped (to give a supported and sporty feeling).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 05:05 AM   #9
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

I use eibach springs and in the front i used a shorter bump stops from another kit(st springs made by kw i don;t use these springs because not have stiffness and create a huge boom on dash at bumps) and i can say car run amazing. I can crack the wheels now on bumps, shocks and dasboard sound like oem. I don;t used eibach with oem bump stop to make a point if create or not sounds. Also oem bump stops can be easy cutted 1.5-2cm at small side, or cheaper sachs kit and it come with another set of bump stop.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:53 AM   #10
MNR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli333 View Post

I believe the correct term for the feeling would be underdamped since the car is oscillating. With my Swifts, a prime example would be the following:

Highway cruising, 70mph and you turn in for a sweeping bend. In the middle of the bend, there is a seam/bump due to pavement change. When I hit this with the Swifts, I can literally feel the front axle crest the bump normally whereas when the rear tires hit it, the back end will pick up and mimic a sharp upward motion with a "side to side" sway and then settle back down after compressing. I've experienced this with larger pavement dips too and can feel my ass get picked up. Not very confidence inspiring.

I went for the B16s based on a few other reviews that I read and input from forum members I reached out to. I am willing to settle with a slightly stiffer ride if it gets rid of this ridiculous unstable feeling. Plus, retaining EDC is icing on the cake, for me at least.

I am installing this week if UPS ever gets the package to me (has been delayed more than once). I will follow up with thoughts
Appreciate 1
deli333145.00
      05-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #11
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
when the rear tires hit it, the back end will pick up and mimic a sharp upward motion with a "side to side" sway and then settle back down after compressing. I've experienced this with larger pavement dips too and can feel my ass get picked up. Not very confidence inspiring.
This can also be due to too early (and thus too much) bump stop engagement if lowered. If you don't have enough damper travel before the bump stops the chassis can get upset when you hit bumps and the bump stop gets engaged too quickly.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:32 PM   #12
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
This can also be due to too early (and thus too much) bump stop engagement if lowered. If you don't have enough damper travel before the bump stops the chassis can get upset when you hit bumps and the bump stop gets engaged too quickly.
My 15 M4 do same before with st springs made by kw, problem is not the bump stop, problem is the spring... not have enough stiffness, need more kilos, i just changed them with eibach and no more problems, i can crack wheels now and no other boom sounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #13
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:

Agreed - NONE of the lowering options will give you the same ride comfort or noise levels as the stock suspension. Which is unfortunate given how much some of these aftermarket options cost. If you want to lower the car, expect some increased stiffness, noise and overall harsher ride. On the other hand you should feel the car is more flat around turns.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #14
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I believe the correct term for the feeling would be underdamped since the car is oscillating. With my Swifts, a prime example would be the following:

Highway cruising, 70mph and you turn in for a sweeping bend. In the middle of the bend, there is a seam/bump due to pavement change. When I hit this with the Swifts, I can literally feel the front axle crest the bump normally whereas when the rear tires hit it, the back end will pick up and mimic a sharp upward motion with a "side to side" sway and then settle back down after compressing. I've experienced this with larger pavement dips too and can feel my ass get picked up. Not very confidence inspiring.

I went for the B16s based on a few other reviews that I read and input from forum members I reached out to. I am willing to settle with a slightly stiffer ride if it gets rid of this ridiculous unstable feeling. Plus, retaining EDC is icing on the cake, for me at least.

I am installing this week if UPS ever gets the package to me (has been delayed more than once). I will follow up with thoughts
ok what about this.

You are going 5mph in a supermarket car park, there are big and sharp, plastic speed bumps. As soon as front tyres cross the bump :

1- you feel front axle hits hard
2- you feel a nice smooth settlement, as if it was a smooth, longer bump.

another one

3- you are in a round about, third exit, you start to feel rear passenger shock causing middle-sized movements.

4- there is a middle manhole on the road, like 1.5" . if you go over this, do you feel this at dashboard or you feel nothing?

so according to what I understand 1 and 4 underdamped, 2 and 3 overdamped.

correct me if I am wrong
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #15
GirlsGarage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Eibach springs are the closest to oem interms of spring rating , However, nothing will ride like stock.

FRONT:
OE rate: 31 N/mm (177 lbs/in)
PRO-KIT rate: 32 N/mm (183 lbs/in)

REAR:
OE rate: 103 N/mm (591 lbs/in)
PRO-KIT rate: 110 N/mm (628 lbs/in)

https://eibach.com/us/c-178-product-...bmw-m3-m4.html
      05-13-2020, 10:45 PM   #16
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsGarage View Post
Eibach springs are the closest to oem interms of spring rating , However, nothing will ride like stock.

FRONT:
OE rate: 31 N/mm (177 lbs/in)
PRO-KIT rate: 32 N/mm (183 lbs/in)

REAR:
OE rate: 103 N/mm (591 lbs/in)
PRO-KIT rate: 110 N/mm (628 lbs/in)

https://eibach.com/us/c-178-product-...bmw-m3-m4.html
And i love them, one more think i have them with a little shorter bump stops on the front, and car run amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #17
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

The "German" Eibach's part# E10-20-031-09-22 ride very similar to stock ZCP and lowered mine 8mm in the rear, 23mm in the front. Eibach USA altered them for some reason and appears to lower the rear more, but I'd consider the "German version" is excellent.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #18
Daveneezy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

After lots of reading, I ordered euro Eibach springs. I also wanted to retain oem ride qualities with the smallest drop possible. I just really want to decrease the wheel gap, not slam the car. I will report back once they are in. There's a long thread on Eibach springs that offers good input on both US and Euro versions.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #19
hoobawhat?
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Do you guys recommend any HAS or regular springs that match the OEM damper rates the best?

I am looking for a subtle drop and to maintain EDC while keeping similiar performance
Dinan springs has a conservative drop with OEM like characteristics.
Appreciate 0