proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

11-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #1
oppoops
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; M4 GTS

Question Wheels for Track - Stock Brakes & Suspension

Just recently got a M4 GTS and planning to start tracking it for the next season - do you guys have any suggestions on wheel& tires sizes? Preferably a square setup so I can rotate & squeeze more track days out of 1 set.

From your experience will 19x10.5 fit the front w/ stock suspension or do I need camber plates and/or spacers?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

You definitely want camber plates, they pay for themselves quickly!

You want something like 19x10.5 et40, apex makes a set like this. With that set, the rear is direct fitment and up front you'll need a 12 or 15mm spacer.
That wheel will happily take a set of 295/30 Hoosier r7s, but if you're starting out you probably want a set of 200tw tires instead
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 02:32 PM   #3
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppoops View Post
Just recently got a M4 GTS and planning to start tracking it for the next season - do you guys have any suggestions on wheel& tires sizes? Preferably a square setup so I can rotate & squeeze more track days out of 1 set.

From your experience will 19x10.5 fit the front w/ stock suspension or do I need camber plates and/or spacers?

Thanks in advance!
You can try the rear wheel with a 25mm spacer, but I think 10.5 can be used up front even without camber plates, with 9.5, the rim is quite separated from the suspension.

I think like SYT_Shadow, to rotate I would mount et40 with spacers in front
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      11-21-2022, 08:55 PM   #4
oppoops
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the quick responses! The only 19x10.5 wheels I'm able to find on Apex's site are et22/25/45 - will +45 wheels be an issue for front fitment? (given i'm going to be running spacers & camber plates as suggested).

Also, will I be able to go track ride height setting with this set up?

Def not going slick/semi-slick anytime soon with my skill level - going to stay cup2 or equivalents for at least a season or two before even considering them

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 09:25 PM   #5
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Definitely purchase camber plates. They should have been standard.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 1
Gomeler500.00
      11-22-2022, 07:51 AM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses! The only 19x10.5 wheels I'm able to find on Apex's site are et22/25/45 - will +45 wheels be an issue for front fitment? (given i'm going to be running spacers & camber plates as suggested).

Def not going slick/semi-slick anytime soon with my skill level - going to stay cup2 or equivalents for at least a season or two before even considering them

Thanks again!
Click here, there are multiple ET40 wheels
https://www.apexraceparts.com/store/...AaAu80EALw_wcB

You really want ET36, but they aren't made by Apex and Bimmerworld doesn't make those in 19". ET40 is already a bit of a compromise, as in both cases the rear fits without a spacer and ET36 to ET40 requires a few mm more up front. So you go from a 12mm up front to a 15mm. If you get ET40 we're talking about 20mm up front.

Spacers in and of themselves are not evil, after all, BMW racecars all run giant ones, but all things being equal I'd like to minimize them.

With square 10.5 wheels you can happily run many different sizes, from 275/35 to 295/30. You'll find all nice 200TW tires in those sizes!
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2022, 12:54 PM   #7
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:

Thanks again!
Click here, there are multiple ET40 wheels
https://www.apexraceparts.com/store/...AaAu80EALw_wcB

You really want ET36, but they aren't made by Apex and Bimmerworld doesn't make those in 19". ET40 is already a bit of a compromise, as in both cases the rear fits without a spacer and ET36 to ET40 requires a few mm more up front. So you go from a 12mm up front to a 15mm. If you get ET40 we're talking about 20mm up front.

Spacers in and of themselves are not evil, after all, BMW racecars all run giant ones, but all things being equal I'd like to minimize them.

With square 10.5 wheels you can happily run many different sizes, from 275/35 to 295/30. You'll find all nice 200TW tires in those sizes!
Listen to SYT_Shadow. I went with a 19x10 square setup, and ended up regretting it after I found out we can run a 10.5 in the front.
      11-24-2022, 03:16 PM   #8
oppoops
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your guys' reply!

and yes ClubsportJunkie - after reading SYT_Shadow 's detailed build threads on GTS I think he is definitely one of the few experts that are still actively building on the GTS platforms, so I'm all ears!

Quick question: Looks like apex does not offer any 19x10.5 in ET40 (Link here) The only 10.5 et40 wheels are all in 18s.

Can I run 19x10.5 ET45 in the front w/o rubbing? The only suspension mods I have in mind for now are camber plates & spacers.

Pulling a trigger on a set soon while deals are here, gearing up for 2023 season

Thanks guys & happy thanksgiving!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 04:28 PM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:

and yes ClubsportJunkie - after reading SYT_Shadow 's detailed build threads on GTS I think he is definitely one of the few experts that are still actively building on the GTS platforms, so I'm all ears!

Quick question: Looks like apex does not offer any 19x10.5 in ET40 (Link here) The only 10.5 et40 wheels are all in 18s.

Can I run 19x10.5 ET45 in the front w/o rubbing? The only suspension mods I have in mind for now are camber plates & spacers.

Pulling a trigger on a set soon while deals are here, gearing up for 2023 season

It's odd, I have a set of 10.5 et40 19 from apex, they're what I used in one of the gts to clear the ccbs. So they exist, or existed! Perhaps you want to call them tomorrow to ask.
It's possible I'm wrong about their ET, I'll have to check sunday when I get back home

Happy Thanksgiving!

Edit: titan7 has et34, pretty much the same as et36. Right here: https://titan-7.com/products/t-d6e-f...an-application
Probably available in other designs as well

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 11-24-2022 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 04:39 PM   #10
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:

Why don't you try the rear wheel that is 10.5 et42 with a spacer in front and that way you will know if it rubs or not?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 09:44 PM   #11
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

You could also go with Gram Lights 57CR 19X10.5 +35

We should see if Apex would be willing to make a 5x120 bolt pattern for their corvette wheels, they're 19x10.5 ET 36.
      11-30-2022, 02:48 AM   #12
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, G05 X5

If you haven't ordered camber plates yet I just removed my Millway plates and will be listing them soon. Will snap some pictures tomorrow but they look like new, used for roughly 8 months without issue. Only swapped to GC plates to get more than the -3.1° I got with the Millways, but that may be enough for you if it isn't a solely track dedicated car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 01:24 PM   #13
Rotary1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition 2019

Garage List
For the track, I bought a set of stock wheels from an M4 (black 437s) and put Yoko Advans on them. It was a beast on the track and I definitely was noticeably faster on the track.

I actually just traded up to an F90 MS Comp (and I am searching for a set of track wheels for that) and thus I am selling my set from the F80. The post is here if anyone is interested.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1963184
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 04:17 PM   #14
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveishi View Post
If you haven't ordered camber plates yet I just removed my Millway plates and will be listing them soon. Will snap some pictures tomorrow but they look like new, used for roughly 8 months without issue. Only swapped to GC plates to get more than the -3.1° I got with the Millways, but that may be enough for you if it isn't a solely track dedicated car.
Why do you think GC plates allow more than -3.1°?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 05:03 PM   #15
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
Why do you think GC plates allow more than -3.1°?
Because they do

But really, I had heard and read from others that they would, I installed them a few weeks ago, went to get an alignment and got 3.6 pretty easily but I also installed all of the SPL arms at the same time so that could have helped.

Also just snapped a pic of the Millways, haven't even cleaned them up yet but they probably don't need it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 05:13 PM   #16
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Because they do

But really, I had heard and read from others that they would, I installed them a few weeks ago, went to get an alignment and got 3.6 pretty easily but I also installed all of the SPL arms at the same time so that could have helped.

Also just snapped a pic of the Millways, haven't even cleaned them up yet but they probably don't need it
if you mounted the SPL arms then they were the ones that added camber, without modifying the lower part of the suspension no plate is going to give you more camber.

You could have gotten 3.6° with millway plates & SPL arms.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 05:31 PM   #17
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
if you mounted the SPL arms then they were the ones that added camber, without modifying the lower part of the suspension no plate is going to give you more camber.

You could have gotten 3.6° with millway plates & SPL arms.
I would disagree, the Millway plate didn't get the top of the strut all the way to the brace, it maxed out before touching, whereas the GC did go all the way. So I still standby that some plates do give more camber.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 01:27 AM   #18
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
I would disagree, the Millway plate didn't get the top of the strut all the way to the brace, it maxed out before touching, whereas the GC did go all the way. So I still standby that some plates do give more camber.
Here kw plates are almost at the maximum and it has not yet reached -3°, so no, I don't think any plate can go above -3.1°.

For this reason KW Competition uses an eccentric sleeve in this suspension, because the plates do not allow more camber.

Last edited by Track/S; 12-01-2022 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 07:05 PM   #19
JLS_397K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' BMW M5+16'M4 GTS - M2 SOLD

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
SYT_Shadow has contributed plenty of information to this forum. Many of us are appreciative of his input, so for wheel suggestions, he is solid.

As for tires, ill add my two cents… As i don’t know your skill level either, but i will share it anyways for the next guy perhaps….

I have not done much on the GTS this year as i wanted, but one thing i was told with my M2 early on by a former Formula 3000 driver and NASA SoCal chief instructor suggested… If you are going to start brand new, get cheap tires (FireStone FireHawks for example) and go get a few sessions in with an instructor.

The reason for cheap tires is so that once you find your fastest line with your car with those tires, the faster you can go with better “stickier” tires on the same line essentially. Obviously more experience will dictate entry,corner, and exit points with each set….Also, it will teach you to apply the throttle smoother as cheaper tires may break loose faster. Seeing how these cars are torque happy, this would be beneficial to you to learn how to roll on the throttle, rather than smash on and off the throttle/brake pedal. This will also reduce traction control intervention, or at least bring you up to the level of confidence to remove all electronic assist, except ABS.

The instructor is good to have as some track groups may not require you to have done a one on one session vs group sessions. At least a personal in car instructor will feel and see everything happening from your cars position. Other groups require you to have the instructor as a beginner so it just comes with the event.
Appreciate 3