Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-19-2023, 11:54 PM   #1
Hamm
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW 340i & '13 Jeep JKU

Questions regarding potential purchase with possible spun crank hub

I'm looking into a 2017 M3 with a possible spun crank hub. Car has 55k miles and is a pretty good price. Problem is- it's not local to me (about 4 hours away) so I can't just go look at it. Car was putting down about 540hp when it spun. Seller doesn't really seem to know a whole lot, so I'm curious if there's a way to confirm it's just the crank hub. Seller said the cylinder 1 timing is off by .8 but sounds healthy when running (but is rough when getting out of 1st and 2nd gear). Price is good enough that I could pay to replace the crank hub, but not an engine replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 12:20 AM   #2
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

If you can verify what he saying is true then go for it. How does he know how much the timing is off but yet doesn’t know much about what’s wrong with it? Also if they check the engine and found out that only the timing was off, which is a easy fix, why didn’t he just had it fixed why it was in the shop? It’s your choice to make, good luck.
      12-20-2023, 12:20 AM   #3
headstart101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG M4

You are basically buying a car with a blown engine. If the price of the car doesn’t cover an engine replacement, I would look elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
alex23642873.50
      12-20-2023, 12:29 AM   #4
Hamm
Rep

They sent me a data log that shows the timing on cylinder 1 being off by .8. I tried to upload a picture but couldn't figure out how. The other cylinders are reading perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 12:32 AM   #5
Hamm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
If you can verify what he saying is true then go for it. How does he know how much the timing is off but yet doesn’t know much about what’s wrong with it? Also if they check the engine and found out that only the timing was off, which is a easy fix, why didn’t he just had it fixed why it was in the shop? It’s your choice to make, good luck.
I don't think it's been to a shop. I think it spun then they parked it and are now selling it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:00 AM   #6
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamm View Post
I'm looking into a 2017 M3 with a possible spun crank hub. Car has 55k miles and is a pretty good price. Problem is- it's not local to me (about 4 hours away) so I can't just go look at it. Car was putting down about 540hp when it spun. Seller doesn't really seem to know a whole lot, so I'm curious if there's a way to confirm it's just the crank hub. Seller said the cylinder 1 timing is off by .8 but sounds healthy when running (but is rough when getting out of 1st and 2nd gear). Price is good enough that I could pay to replace the crank hub, but not an engine replacement.
Sounds like a load of BS. I’d stay away or offer a price to account for a full engine replacement. You don’t tune a car a like that, then claim that timing is off by .8 and claim not much is known. Unless you have some way of verifying what the issue is, you are taking a gamble.
Appreciate 1
Jbonly211081.50
      12-20-2023, 05:52 AM   #7
Jakester
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Spidey sense is tingling, I'd stay away from that one.

Seller is not telling you everything they know and are trying to get out from under a blown engine with minimal financial damage.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 10:56 AM   #8
Hamm
Rep

Thanks for the help everyone. I knew the answer before posting, but figured it was worth asking anyway. I'll keep an eye on it and see how low the price gets.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 11:26 AM   #9
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

if you don't know how to rebuild the engine yourself....which you don't since you are asking on this forum....you better expect a complete engine rebuild or drop in plus labor factored into the price let alone a car that has been beat the fuck up

hard pass
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 03:24 PM   #10
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I don't believe for a second that the seller doesn't know much about the issue, whether they act like it or not.

If you can afford to replace the engine out of pocket, then maybe. If it doesn't need it, even better. But I would plan for the worst and base your decision off of that.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:18 PM   #11
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

This sounds like a horrific idea.
Appreciate 1
JTM09385.00
      12-20-2023, 05:29 PM   #12
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
The S55 is an interference engine. A spunk crankhub can also lead to bent valves.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 07:51 AM   #13
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

As others have said, prepare for a rebuild and go through with it if the price is right. You could be lucky with just a retiming and crankhub replacement or it can cost 3 times more for a rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 10:24 AM   #14
Hamm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
if you don't know how to rebuild the engine yourself....which you don't since you are asking on this forum....you better expect a complete engine rebuild or drop in plus labor factored into the price let alone a car that has been beat the fuck up

hard pass
Indeed I do not know how to rebuild an engine myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
I don't believe for a second that the seller doesn't know much about the issue, whether they act like it or not.

If you can afford to replace the engine out of pocket, then maybe. If it doesn't need it, even better. But I would plan for the worst and base your decision off of that.
Apparently, the car was purchased in September. They threw an exhaust and a tune on it and drove it until the crank hub spun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
This sounds like a horrific idea.
I knew this was the correct answer from the beginning, but wanted to get feedback anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
The S55 is an interference engine. A spunk crankhub can also lead to bent valves.
Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
As others have said, prepare for a rebuild and go through with it if the price is right. You could be lucky with just a retiming and crankhub replacement or it can cost 3 times more for a rebuild.
I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how low the price gets. If it gets down to $20k or so, I might have to reconsider it.

Thanks for the help everyone! What I was hoping is someone would read this and say something like "that doesn't sound like a spun crank hub" that sounds like "(insert much less severe issue that is easily fixable)" here. I'm looking in the X3 M40i territory, but figured if I could pick up an M3 at a good price why the hell not.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 11:05 AM   #15
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Indeed I do not know how to rebuild an engine myself.

Apparently, the car was purchased in September. They threw an exhaust and a tune on it and drove it until the crank hub spun.

I knew this was the correct answer from the beginning, but wanted to get feedback anyway.

Makes sense.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how low the price gets. If it gets down to $20k or so, I might have to reconsider it.

Thanks for the help everyone! What I was hoping is someone would read this and say something like "that doesn't sound like a spun crank hub" that sounds like "(insert much less severe issue that is easily fixable)" here. I'm looking in the X3 M40i territory, but figured if I could pick up an M3 at a good price why the hell not.
In that case, I'd pass. Guy got it and beat on it and is trying to get out from under it.
Appreciate 1