Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-28-2022, 03:37 PM   #1
imcpa
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

CarPlay MMI Retrofit

I think I really want to add the CarPlay MMI Retrofit to my 2015 M4 (actually, pay someone to do it in the Dallas area), but don't want to without first seeing one that was done.

Anyone know of a good video of an M4 showing how it works after installation (i.e.: can I still use iDrive instead of CarPlay, how is the wireless connection reliability, what is it like to jump around using the OEM controls, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 08:38 PM   #2
kwatkins12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 15 M4

Was just about to make a similar post. For those that have the retrofit, does it diminish sound quality?

In reference to your question, I watched this video the other day.

If you aren't interested in the actual install process towards the end they go over how it works. There are tons of other videos on you tube showing it as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 08:45 PM   #3
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Operating CarPlay works like any other BMW with the iDrive controller. Spin the wheel to select and onscreen control, and press down to activate.

You can return back to the previous screen with the back button, and to the CP Home Screen using the menu button.

Swapping back and forth between CP and factory iDrive is as simple as holding the menu button for a couple of seconds. Audio quality has been great for me through the MMI which uses the internal AUX connection on the quad lock.

Wireless connection has been rock solid and it connects very quickly when starting the car.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2022, 10:50 PM   #4
kwatkins12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Operating CarPlay works like any other BMW with the iDrive controller. Spin the wheel to select and onscreen control, and press down to activate.

You can return back to the previous screen with the back button, and to the CP Home Screen using the menu button.

Swapping back and forth between CP and factory iDrive is as simple as holding the menu button for a couple of seconds. Audio quality has been great for me through the MMI which uses the internal AUX connection on the quad lock.

Wireless connection has been rock solid and it connects very quickly when starting the car.
Have you noticed any difference in the sound quality compared to Bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 12:18 AM   #5
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatkins12 View Post
Have you noticed any difference in the sound quality compared to Bluetooth?
Driving along streaming Spotify on its highest quality setting sounds just as good to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 12:32 AM   #6
kwatkins12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Driving along streaming Spotify on its highest quality setting sounds just as good to me.
Great to hear, which MMI unit do you use?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 06:02 AM   #7
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatkins12 View Post
Great to hear, which MMI unit do you use?
This is the thread to read, details a lot of the options. I honestly don’t know what mine is since it didn’t come labelled, but looks to be a newer unit. Andream seems to be the most popular choice to seek out.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675929
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2022, 01:15 PM   #8
imcpa
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

If I understood it correctly, one video I watched stated you can listen to AM/FM radio from iDrive by programming a station into one of the number buttons. When you switch to CarPlay (for example, to use Waze), you can press the number with the radio station programmed to hear the station without exiting Waze. Can someone confirm this is true?

Also, my 2015 M4 has the 20G internal drive and I have 18G of music on it. I listen to that music on random play while driving. I don't like to stream music as I think it sounds weak and I don't want to plug my phone into the car on most drives. Can I program a song into a member button similar to programming a radio station so I can listen to the music on the internal drive while still using CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 05:51 AM   #9
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Yes the 1-8 shortcuts still work as normal while CarPlay is onscreen, and you can listen to whatever audio source you like (radio, USB, etc.) while CarPlay is displayed, the only thing you will miss out on is voice prompts from Waze/Maps since you need to be on AUX for that.

You don’t necessarily need to have the audio sources saved to the hot keys, if you start music playing then switch to CarPlay, it will continue playing. The only thing you won’t be able to do without switching back to iDrive is change tracks.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 10:10 AM   #10
imcpa
Rep

Yes the 1-8 shortcuts still work as normal while CarPlay is onscreen, and you can listen to whatever audio source you like (radio, USB, etc.) while CarPlay is displayed, the only thing you will miss out on is voice prompts from Waze/Maps since you need to be on AUX for that.

You don’t necessarily need to have the audio sources saved to the hot keys, if you start music playing then switch to CarPlay, it will continue playing. The only thing you won’t be able to do without switching back to iDrive is change tracks.

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. So even the arrow button would not go to the next track?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 04:49 PM   #11
Danny271
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3

I just ordered the Andream unit direct from their site. I'll update this thread with how the install goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 11:39 AM   #12
Bjammin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Any updates?
Appreciate 0