Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

08-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #837
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL530xit
Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome coverage, pics, vids and stuff Jason. I can't stop coming back to look at this car. It's breathtaking!!!
^ THIS!

Thanks a lot Jason for the awesome info and non-stop coverage...now on to the performance specs plz...
      08-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #838
///MTUNED
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupé

Holy Heil... This is the perfect race. I will order Red White and Blue.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #839
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL530xit View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome coverage, pics, vids and stuff Jason. I can't stop coming back to look at this car. It's breathtaking!!!
Happy to see the tremendous interest in the car and explosive activity in this thread. Always glad to bring our members coverage from BMW events!

Some more tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Thanks a lot Jason for the awesome info and non-stop coverage...now on to the performance specs plz...
Unfortunately, those won't come until later (not here).
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #840
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Has anyone seen this article by Edmunds that says the M4 is expected to offer all wheel drive?

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/bmw-...delegance.html

Though they do lose some credibility by discussing a 7 speed "automatic"

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #841
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

Car looks great from every angle.

One question though, will we see changes (i.e. watering down) when it comes to production? This is my only concern, seeing how the awesome 4er concept was watered down when it came to production.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #842
ramuman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Has anyone seen this article by Edmunds that says the M4 is expected to offer all wheel drive?

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/bmw-...delegance.html

Though they do lose some credibility by discussing a 7 speed "automatic"
Didn't Nitschke specifically say they won't bring AWD to the current Ms, excluding the X5/6?

If they're going gangbusters on reducing the weight of this car, I see this being the case. Especially if they can keep the progression of the E9x and F1x rear differentials going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Car looks great from every angle.

One question though, will we see changes (i.e. watering down) when it comes to production? This is my only concern, seeing how the awesome 4er concept was watered down when it came to production.
For the E46 and the E9x, it was almost straight from concept to production.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 02:26 AM   #843
nenadbogar
First Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: x6 f16 m sport

looks amazing!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #844
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
"But yes the competition should be worried as BMW have effectively jumped light years ahead of the competition in regards to lightweight reaction.
We know some our competitors will not be able to match the lightweight count of the M4 without adding more to their price."

Furthermore if the weight reduction is truly substantial it will also create a distance to the 435i that no cheap tune or mod. can achieve. I.e they will secure the specialness with the M3/M4 in one of the most important and coveted performance and fun to drive factors. This is important in the days of FI where power comes cheap and large to the standard cars.
Yes , the M4 Coupe points to the appearance of the next generation of M cars , Aerodynamics and weight reduction is the key to their performance but the aim is to distance the M from the regular . It also asks an interesting question?

If the standard car has reduced weight significantly , what does that hold for future high performance variants? Remember they are basing the progress of the M4 on the Porsche 911 model for further performance.

They will also add the M4 as a Cabrio and for the first time as a Gran Coupe - adding flexibility for those that crave for the M4 Coupe.

Next up from M. Is the BMW X5M and an Active Tourer M Concept.
      08-17-2013, 03:18 AM   #845
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
However, back to the side of plausibility, if you still think sub 1500kg/sub 3300 lb with fuel, with driver, with 20" wheels, no CF suspension components, no titanium exhaust and no aluminum nor composite rear sub frame is possible, I guess more wishful thinking to you. Again, 1495 kg without driver and fuel sounds just about right and sounds just about right for BMWs semi-honest marketing on weight issues...
If the 1495kg weight is to be believed, it's WITH all of those lightweight components on the car and 19" wheels (as that was what was stated in the spec sheet).

I don't believe that the sub-standard welding etc on the subframe shown in the Pebble Beach pictures are the production subframe... BMW M has said that we should expect much more significant CFRP/CF components than just the roof... And that the E46 is their target weight...

But, at this time. Still to early to know
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #846
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
+1
I would just like to point out that BMW reports weights WITH driver, fuel etc in Europe as well (as I pointed out previously). The E9X M3 has the exact same weight stated in the European brochure as it has in the US!

What weights the magazine are reporting is a different matter
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #847
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Love it from the front and rear, but some 3/4 rear angle shots look kind of plain to me.

Front hood looks busy....don't want to lose the power dome though, but also think it might look plain without the creases. Also not feeling the dip on the trunk lid or the rear reflectors.

It's probably been mentioned already, but the low hanging exhaust is simply covered by the diffuser. Stock tips look really good even without the carbon fiber. A stock exhaust with downpipes and test pipes may be the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #848
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
"But yes the competition should be worried as BMW have effectively jumped light years ahead of the competition in regards to lightweight reaction.
We know some our competitors will not be able to match the lightweight count of the M4 without adding more to their price."

Furthermore if the weight reduction is truly substantial it will also create a distance to the 435i that no cheap tune or mod. can achieve. I.e they will secure the specialness with the M3/M4 in one of the most important and coveted performance and fun to drive factors. This is important in the days of FI where power comes cheap and large to the standard cars.
Yes , the M4 Coupe points to the appearance of the next generation of M cars , Aerodynamics and weight reduction is the key to their performance but the aim is to distance the M from the regular . It also asks an interesting question?

If the standard car has reduced weight significantly , what does that hold for future high performance variants? Remember they are basing the progress of the M4 on the Porsche 911 model for further performance.

They will also add the M4 as a Cabrio and for the first time as a Gran Coupe - adding flexibility for those that crave for the M4 Coupe.

M active tourer concept?

FWD, or AWD ?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 03:48 AM   #849
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:

So that would be an MCAT haha better be careful with that one BMW

As regards the progression of the M4 based on the 911 does that mean we'll see a ridiculous GT2 equivalent or a high revving GT3 NA equivalent, would be nice nice but I'm not holding my breath.

Regarding flexibility a tourer would be nice in M3 guise, Audi and Merc found a market for it. But as has already been insinuated by Dr N this niche will be filled with a sub M model at some point.. Oh we can dream I suppose
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #850
qbix
Banned
Rep
Drives: F15 3.0d, 991 GT3

Even though I like the design of this car a lot and I think that the outgoing generation is going to look outdated once compared directly with the M4 I am happy that I made it in time and got E92 M3. I actually traded E92 335i that was a year old car to get the last NA V8 from BMW.
Now I have a comaprison of N55 to S65 and it's like day and night. There is nothing actually to compare. You can make N55 stronger by blowing the turbo (not turbos!) harder and call it S55 but it will never be a true M engine. Like you can't call 1M, M5, M6 a true M car (not to mention abour X5M and X6M). Maybe Marketing car but not Motorsport car. One who thinks different has only driven his BMW to Starbucks and they are the guys these new M(arketing) cars are dedicated to. X5M, X6M, maybe i3M and whatever letters and numbers are left!
M stickers everywhere on M Performance cars, Sport line and others. The Sport line of F30 has more M badges than my M3! Even on the fenders!

What I love about M3 E9x is that this car doesn't pretend anything and just every piece of this car has it's purpose. And what can you say about M4? What is that power dome for? It's like a girl putting on a bra but in fact having no tits!
Rear carbon diffuser? What for? Looks like a ricer to me. M stripes on the roof? No comment.

BMW is increasing sales by raping M division and they are just ruining their Motorsport tradition. It's gonna work pretty well but it is very short-sighted attitude.
Me personally is going to switch to Porsche (or other real performance car, C7, GT-R, Viper). Definetely will keep the M3.
How many of you M3 owners is thinking about the same?

When I look at M5 E60, M3 E30,36, 46 I see a piece of automotive history and M tradition. What are you going to see in 20 years looking at present M5 or X6M?
Mr Gerchard Richter should come back and clean up this mess!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #851
DrakeKemper
Sexiest Man Alive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

So is there going to be an M4 GranCoupe? Because that would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #852
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeKemper View Post
So is there going to be an M4 GranCoupe? Because that would be awesome.
Yes.

The 4 Series GC will arrive next year, probably at or near the start of MY 2015 for the 3 and 4 Series assuming that happens in September as is typical. An M4 GC will then follow in calendar year 2015 some time.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #853
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbix View Post
Now I have a comaprison of N55 to S65 and it's like day and night. There is nothing actually to compare. You can make N55 stronger by blowing the turbo (not turbos!) harder and call it S55 but it will never be a true M engine.
There is nothing stopping M from adding more turbochargers. In fact, that is reportedly exactly what they intend to do. The S55 will not simply be a tuned N55.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #854
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

M active tourer concept?

No I just wanted to see what the reaction would be...
      08-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #855
kornykidd0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

What the hell is the point of a M4/4xx gran coupe? They have a 4 door...called the 3series. Same styling, same everything. This is just dumb.

M4 concept- quite pretty. I feel like the latest spy pics of it in black/Jerez look much different though. Far wider and angrier, and overall better. That exhaust is beautiful but won't be standard. Prob a $5500 MPE.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #856
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornykidd0 View Post
What the hell is the point of a M4/4xx gran coupe? They have a 4 door...called the 3series. Same styling, same everything. This is just dumb.

M4 concept- quite pretty. I feel like the latest spy pics of it in black/Jerez look much different though. Far wider and angrier, and overall better. That exhaust is beautiful but won't be standard. Prob a $5500 MPE.
Do we have to do this again?
      08-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #857
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Does anyone want to venture a guess as to the carbon fiber lip and the carbon fiber diffuser and exhaust being options that we can buy at the time of ordering?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #858
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
I am curious if they will offer a carbon fiber interior and have the option of a Bang and Olufsen sound system. I feel that my Audi S4's sound system was light years ahead of the premium sound system in my M3.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread