proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-22-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
EstorilM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT

Teleservice call - BMW can remotely shorten your oil changes from 11K to 5K for $$$

I finally figured out the mystery of the mysterious, shortening oil change interval. In some cases, you may drive in more severe situations and an initial 11K interval shortens to 9K. In other cases, another item e.g. brake fluid pulls you in for service early. In my case, it is BMW messing with the interval.

At 36K in August I had my oil changed. Now it said 11K miles to next oil change or 8/2020.

At 40K in October it read 7K miles to next oil change or 8/2020.

One day in October at 41K, in the morning I drove my car as usual. No maintenance warnings, it was 6K miles until next oil change. In the afternoon I started the ignition and it suddenly said 30 miles OVERDUE for oil change. Somehow, just sitting in my work parking lot this B58's oil aged quickly by 6030 miles and needed to be changed. I was immediately very suspicious. I figured it might be OK to change to a 7K oil change interval after the free period anyway, but this definitely felt like a way for the dealership to try to pull you in magically now that the free oil changes are over. Of course, I was going to go to an indie anyway

I posted twice in threads trying to figure this out: 10K mile oil change intervals suddenly became 5K? No countdown either and What engine oil do you use?

Today, I finally solved the mystery: I was randomly in a menu and I noticed that in the Vehicle status menu, Teleservice Call, there is a log entry for "Automatic Teleservice Call processed" on the exact same day that the oil change mileage dropped to 30 miles overdue. I never ever clicked on and made a teleservice call on my own. It looks like ET phoned home and changed some numbers.

I figured this is also the source of all the unwanted calls and mail from multiple dealers (which I don't want to follow me forever). Hopefully this helps anyone else who experiences a mysterious drop in their oil change interval. I'm trying to find out how to turn off teleservice calls or just remove the serivce center (seems to require coding, maybe there is an easier way?). In the end, it's incredibly how many ways BMW needs to go in order to squeeze the last few bucks from you. (Maintenance not transferring to second owner, no listed prices for maintenance plan refreshes, bait and switch when quoting price on the phone vs. in person, $80 subscription CarPlay, etc.)

Last edited by EstorilM240; 11-22-2019 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 12:28 AM   #2
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

How do you usually drive, though? Pulling to the red line in each gear? I'd def change the oil after 5kmiles on b58.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
EstorilM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT

Over 80% highway cruising, with some normal city and occasional spirited driving, which is why I figured 7K miles was more than sufficient
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Life was so much better without every gotdamned thing in the world tracking and recording every move you ever make. It's only going to get far, far worse.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

It's most likely that BMW is having warranty issues or found out about an engineering miscalculation after the fact and so they went to a more conservative change interval. In most situations with synthetic and a well designed engine 10K is fine.
Appreciate 0