Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #419
dgp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bicycle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgp View Post
Can't argue with a fanboy who thinks Porsche can do no wrong and is best at everything!
I recently asked about joining a local p-car HPDE, and the first question was "what do you drive"

I wonder if they were screening for the $35k 600whp/3000lb C6Z06
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 12:29 AM   #420
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Having now broken in my GT4 and ripped through the gears I can say this:

The M3 is leaps and bounds quicker in a straight line and has gobs more usuable power and better gearing. The M3 is a superior daily driver, that is for sure. The GT4 screams but you have to take every last RPM by the scruff of the neck and the gearing is so absurdly tall that you'll be illegal wayyyy before you get the thrust you are looking for in 2nd gear (83mph or so). What the hell were they thinking with this gearing? How do the Cayman S/GTS guys not want to slash their wrists??

GT4 sounds way better and I'm sure on the track it is probably quicker. I can't say for sure yet, but I am also willing to bet the M3 is easier to drive fast on the track...more forgiving maybe with its balance. But we'll see...
Yep, that is sort of just the nature of a torquey turbo car vs. a naturally aspirated motor. Before my GT4 arrived, I had was DD-ing a 135i and have a Lotus Elise for weekend use. The Elise revs to 8k rpm and has only 133 ft lbs of torque (max). In the real world, point to point, the 135i is faster. GT4 to M4 is like Elise to 135i.

The GT4's gearing does make it a bit worse since you need to be shifting from a higher rpm in the previous gear to make sure you stay in the meat of the power band in the next. 1st becomes a usable gear instead of a throw away one like in most cars...thankfully the synchro is strong and I can select 1st at fairly high speeds. The Lotus has a closer ratio gearbox, but to pass with any gusto I need to be revving past 6k rpm! But it's more fun when you don't care about getting to your destination, just enjoying the drive. Late for an appointment? Then yes, I prefer DCT and a torquey motor to get me there ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #421
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
working on it

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #422
apollo580
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2016 SO/SO

I love the GT4, hoping it will be my next car once I get tired of the M4. Just praying to god that Porsche considers adding a DCT option eventually.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #423
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo580 View Post
I love the GT4, hoping it will be my next car once I get tired of the M4. Just praying to god that Porsche considers adding a DCT option eventually.
I hear ya - I'd love for the GT4 to be available for purchase as new in 4-5 years when I replace my F80, although I'm praying they keep the manual alive.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #424
apollo580
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2016 SO/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
I hear ya - I'd love for the GT4 to be available for purchase as new in 4-5 years when I replace my F80, although I'm praying they keep the manual alive.
Hopefully they keep the manual and add a DCT so both of us can be happy. I know they keep saying the GT4 is a one time thing but I honestly find it hard to belive.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #425
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D MSport F25

Wait till you have driven a manual GT4...... it is AMAZING.
PDK will loose the connected feel you get with it's manual box.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #426
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo580 View Post
Hopefully they keep the manual and add a DCT so both of us can be happy. I know they keep saying the GT4 is a one time thing but I honestly find it hard to belive.
choices are always a good thing. I'd certainly want to test both before deciding if I had the luxury.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 06:47 AM   #427
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky Treehorn View Post
My M3/M4 is being built right now, and I dropped the order yesterday. Got my deposit back.

I'm keeping my F30 328i for DD, and just dropped the hammer on a large deposit for the GT4. It's gonna be a long time before I get it, but the retention value on the GT4 is going to be much better in my opinion due to low production volume and high demand. I unfortunately had to drop a very large deposit to actually secure an allocation.
Did you get your GT4? I too have a f30328i RWD 6mt as my daily and now the gt4 as my weekend toy this past weekend
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #428
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

The M3/4 is a far better street car and far more fun on the street than the GT4. The gearing is way friendlier for the street and the torque is also far more useful on the street than in the GT4. Though I will say the GT4 is perfectly tame on the street.

For those who primarily plan to drive their GT4 on the street…
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2015, 09:38 AM   #429
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
The M3/4 is a far better street car and far more fun on the street than the GT4. The gearing is way friendlier for the street and the torque is also far more useful on the street than in the GT4. Though I will say the GT4 is perfectly tame on the street.

May have missed this is posted earlier, but did you pay MSRP for the GT4? Belated congratulations on that car, what a garage you have!
      11-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #430
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:

Have you had your GT4 on the track, if so is it that much better than the M3/4...I mean do you feel like it is day and night difference? How would you rate each on scale 1-10 for track use?
I heard that the gearing is a big let down even on the track. Congrats its a beautiful machine!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #431
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
May have missed this is posted earlier, but did you pay MSRP for the GT4? Belated congratulations on that car, what a garage you have!
Yep, paid MSRP by some miracle.

Thanks! The garage is changing though. My F80 is going away and I picked up a high mileage E46 M3 to daily drive. Too many expensive toys and doesn't make a lot of sense to run my F80 into the ground with my new commute to Atlanta (I previously worked from home the majority of the time).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #432
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Have you had your GT4 on the track, if so is it that much better than the M3/4...I mean do you feel like it is day and night difference? How would you rate each on scale 1-10 for track use?
I heard that the gearing is a big let down even on the track. Congrats its a beautiful machine!
I haven't had it on the track yet, but I have had the M3 on 3 tracks now. Hopefully I will get the GT4 on track next season. I really like the M3 on track. I dominate my run groups typically with it.

I'm probably one of he most vocal haters out there regarding the gearing but I think that is because the car could be so much better and closer to what I imagined if it had gear ratios more appropriate to a so-called drivers'a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #433
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Just ordered my GT4 yesterday and already I cant wait for it to get hear.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 02:17 AM   #434
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

How are you guys in the US still getting allocation of GT4? They were like hens teeth over the pond.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 02:29 AM   #435
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D MSport F25

Porsche just released 2nd round of allocations.
Another 1000 to the US market
Dealers have been making call to all those on the waiting lists since Monday.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #436
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Porsche is definitely one of the most scummy companies around and people fall for it... not only is every single one of their products overpriced and they nickel and dime you for everything, they change allocations, make limited cars not limited, add manuals back to dct only cars and vice versa... to top it all of VW owns them and further deepens these schemes with scandals, and people seem to be completely un-moved by all of this... yet BMW makes a car 50 lbs heavier than advertised and you have forum scandals... lol
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2015, 06:51 AM   #437
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Porsche is definitely one of the most scummy companies around and people fall for it... not only is every single one of their products overpriced and they nickel and dime you for everything, they change allocations, make limited cars not limited, add manuals back to dct only cars and vice versa... to top it all of VW owns them and further deepens these schemes with scandals, and people seem to be completely un-moved by all of this... yet BMW makes a car 50 lbs heavier than advertised and you have forum scandals... lol
I'm not commenting on the company or brand but to your point on the weight... My GT4 weighs close to 160lbs more than the claimed curb weight. I have very few options and maybe the only ones that add any weight are the leather dash and the fire extinguisher. I've never owned a car before that was this far off from the claimed specs. Kind of pisses me off.

To your point on the limited production...also a bit irritated that the floodgates were opened on allocations but at the same time I do appreciate people being able to get the car if they truly want one.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 06:57 AM   #438
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't think their DIN weight was as per standard spec for the GT4, so it was likely with all of the most lightweight options.

Can you list your options?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #439
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92V8 View Post
I don't think their DIN weight was as per standard spec for the GT4, so it was likely with all of the most lightweight options.

Can you list your options?
For some reason I was always under the (possibly-mistake) impression that the curb weight is measured on a no-option variant.

My car has:
Sapphire Blue paint
Carbon interior trim
Leather interior with platinum stitching (w/ alcantara)
Fire extinguisher
Smoking package
Black wing supports

Weighed with full fluids on Intercomp scales which I previously used to corroborate our F80 weights (pretty damn close).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 07:16 AM   #440
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
For some reason I was always under the (possibly-mistake) impression that the curb weight is measured on a no-option variant.

My car has:
Sapphire Blue paint
Carbon interior trim
Leather interior with platinum stitching (w/ alcantara)
Fire extinguisher
Smoking package
Black wing supports

Weighed with full fluids on Intercomp scales which I previously used to corroborate our F80 weights (pretty damn close).
I believe it is for most Porsche models, but they pulled a fast one with the GT4, as they didn't want it to appear heavier than the GTS.

Do you have buckets and the smaller tank? Standard GT4 wheels?
Appreciate 0