VIBE Motorsports
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #1
dodospor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 bmw m4

steering wheel shakes issue m4 16

hey guys, i have bmw m4 2016
does anyone steering wheel shutter/shake little bit when driving , crusing around 45-60 mph , usually if you leave the steering wheel for few second i can see my steering wheel shutter , and when im holding it i feel the viberation/ buzzing in my hand , even tho the car drive straight.

things i have done
- alignment
- road force balanced like 3 times
- brakes and rotors in front
- 4 different shops checked my suspension and they said everything is fine no tears
- updated my eps software through Alex alpine
- new tires
- also have new tires and new wheels ( apex) , but when i put my apex wheels i got clicking noise from the left wheel side but the noise doesn't happen with oem wheels

is anyone have a similar issue and figure it out ?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
jfritz27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodospor View Post
does anyone steering wheel shutter/shake little bit when driving , crusing around 45-60 mph , usually if you leave the steering wheel for few second i can see my steering wheel shutter , and when im holding it i feel the viberation/ buzzing in my hand , even tho the car drive straight.

things i have done
- alignment
- 4 different shops checked my suspension and they said everything is fine no tears
- new tires
- also have new tires and new wheels ( apex) , but when i put my apex wheels i got clicking noise from the left wheel side but the noise doesn't happen with oem wheels

thanks
How many miles on the car? Given that you've had it to 4 shops, I'd like to believe the suspension is truly OK, but are you confident this is true? This could be a bad control arm. If you've got a jack would jack up each front corner and with wheel on, grab it at 3 and 9 o'clock positions and see if you can induce movement. There should not be any wiggle/play in that direction (if so, suggests lower control arm is bad).

Other possibility is wheel bearings. You can DIY the fronts pretty easily if you've got basic tools, there's a DIY post on the forum here for that. Given all you've been through already, if all else fails then I might do this. Get them from FCP Euro.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #3
dodospor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodospor View Post

things i have done
- alignment
- new tires

thanks
How many miles on the car? Given that you've had it to 4 shops, I'd like to believe the suspension is truly OK, but are you confident this is true? This could be a bad control arm. If you've got a jack would jack up each front corner and with wheel on, grab it at 3 and 9 o'clock positions and see if you can induce movement. There should not be any wiggle/play in that direction (if so, suggests lower control arm is bad).

Other possibility is wheel bearings. You can DIY the fronts pretty easily if you've got basic tools, there's a DIY post on the forum here for that. Given all you've been through already, if all else fails then I might do this. Get them from FCP Euro.
you talking about the thrust arm or actual lower arm , i did force balance today and i got better , but while i was doing balance i see thrust arm have a very tiny play like u wont notice i tried to move it and i feel its have little bit of play not sure if that would give me thats issue also i spin my rotors and i heard like small metal grinding but again is not noticeable
this one you were talking about or the other one ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
jfritz27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Your photo is of the thrust (upper control) arm.

I'm not an expert here, but I think actually play in the 3/9 o'clock position could be due to an issue with the ball joints in either control arm (upper or lower). In addition, the tie rod could also be the culprit. I originally focused on the LCA because I recently found that I had significant movement in the 3/9 direction and a shop told me it was the LCA. I replaced it and the movement is gone. I did not have any vibration issues, though.

I've read that if it's the wheel bearing, you'll get slop in both the 3/9 direction and 12/6 direction (which makes sense)

Check out these vids:

Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 09:49 PM   #5
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Mine does this too in fact a few cars in these forums do that.

Don't go chasing these problems or you will spend a lot of money like me and end up with a shoe up your ass.

These cars are rock fucking solid and very stiff which means tons of things can cause vibrations
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #6
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Ive had it forever. Its worse on uphill climbs. I figured its too expensive to chase down the cause since it's only in a limited range of speed. Its weird because you can only feel it in the steering wheel and not seat of your pants. Thought it might be an electronic power steering gremlin. Who knows.

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 1