Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

11-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #45
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80M3VETERAN View Post
Thanks for you help.

I think I have earned the right to ask for help as a veterans. I'm asking for advice from a veteran friendly lawyer that help me build my case with BMW.

I have serve this country for 16 years with multiple deployments to the middle east, years away form my family, one divorce and the kids living on a different state. So dont tell I dont have the right to ask for help and mention that I'm A VETERAN. They ask you went you apply for a loan, went you filled a BBB complain. SO ITS MY RIGHT TO SAY THAT IM ONE AND LOOKING FOR ADVICE.
thank you for your service.

i think your veteran card should give you some consideration.

i also think that you signed up voluntarily and knew there would be sacrifice.

regardless, i feel for you and am sorry about what happened. looks like the shift was made in your error, and it is a hard lesson to learn.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #46
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
No one answered my question so here it is again

So interesting question on the money shift topic.....If you are in Efficient or Spot plus, notice how the car rev matches just before you are downshifting into the intended gear. Happens pretty fast. Am wondering if you were to accidentally money shift from say 3rd or 5th to 2nd, would the car over rev even before you go into second and let the clutch out because that's what you are trying to do (auto rev feature enabled)....go into second. Or it would protect against that and you would really have to be in 2nd and let go off the clutch to over rev and cause the money shift.

Hope that made sense.

Am guessing it will not over rev because there is no momentum involved from the wheels.

No, the ECU won't allow the car to overrev. it'll revmatch to the redline at the most; that's what the rev limiter is for. You'd have to let go of the clutch. I'm not going to test it, LOL, but it should get stuck at rev limiter and if you release the clutch in that gear, then it will over rev. They key is being in the wrong gear with the clutch engaged
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #47
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
They have not provide me the data on went the event happened. I dont have the documents from the PUMA case I requested already. They are claiming that they dont need to give to me. waiting on a response from customer service on that.
Can I make a suggestion, and I apologize if English isn't your first language. Can you please read what you're writing out loud before you hit the submit button and see if it makes sense? It's very difficult to understand what you are trying to say because of the grammar. As SakhirM4 pointed out, you're making contradictory statements, possibly because of grammar mistakes.
      11-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #48
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
A badly worded forum plea for help gets no sympathy when the title of the thread starts with "ARMY Veteran".
I have been wanting to ask for a long time.

what is this thing and how do i get one?

Name:  what is this.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  5.1 KB

Previously:
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #49
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

P.S.A.

There is a correct way to hold the shifter, please do it. Don't grab the shifter like a gun handle in every gear. The F8x gearbox is so direct and so clean and crisp, use it to your advantage. Sit in your car and feel how each gear should engage - it is impossible to go 3rd to 4th and accidentally into second if you are going STRAIGHT DOWN and holding the shifter correctly. you need to physically pull the lever towards you in neutral and then go down into 2nd..

1st - 2nd = Grab the shifter like a pistol and pull towards you
2nd - 3rd - open palm and turn your palm slightly clockwise and push up and away
3rd - 4th - Put palm on top of shifter and flick the shifter down with your fingers directly into 4th (pistol gripping causes the inclination to pull towards 2nd especially when you are at redline, trying to execute the fastest speed racer shift)
4th - 5th - turn palm slightly clockwise like going 2nd-3rd, and push up up and away
5th-6th - palm opened towards 6th gear gate, push down and away

My method.. get used to changing your hand position and you will reduce your risk/chance of misshifting. Continue grabbing the shifter like a pistol in every gear other than 1st to 2nd and it is only a matter of time. This might seem like basic knowledge to some but for the people that grab it like a pistol, I highly suggest you consider why I always advise against it. But to each his own..
Appreciate 8
      11-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #50
maa335iF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maa335iF30 View Post
As a new owner of a manual m3 this whole thread is making me nervous. Why doesn't the transmission have a mechanism that would prevent you from shifting into a gear that would blow the engine. They gave us rev matching but not this?

I wasn't able to shift into the second gear of my 1998 mustang at speeds of more than 70mph even when I tried.

seriously. there are currently no manual trannys that exist that can prevent you from over rev'ing the engine with a money shift. it is physically impossible. the gears are set by you. you shoved it into a wrong gear, engine fuel gets cut, but the engine is spinning because you released the clutch and now it is toast. valves are bent. etc.

manuals are exactly that... you shifted yourself. you let go of the clutch and now you live with the consequences.

it baffles me that people don't understand this. it is the sole reason i would never buy a used manual car.
I'm only suggesting a mechanism that would prevent accidentally blowing the engine. Sorry for sharing my thoughts.
      11-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #51
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa335iF30 View Post
I'm only suggesting a mechanism that would prevent accidentally blowing the engine. Sorry for sharing my thoughts.
that would be a dct.

sorry man, i don't mean to be rude, but what you are asking for exists, as an dct.

i don't see any other way.

Previously:
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #52
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80M3VETERAN
Quote:
If your car is a manual and the ECU logged a money shift, then you're up the creek without a paddle. Park it and get a cheap Honda from the lemon lot until you can find an S55 on ebay.

Playing the veteran card for blowing your engine is not going to net you extra sympathy or good will.

Thanks for you help.

I think I have earned the right to ask for help as a veterans. I'm asking for advice from a veteran friendly lawyer that help me build my case with BMW.

I have serve this country for 16 years with multiple deployments to the middle east, years away form my family, one divorce and the kids living on a different state. So dont tell I dont have the right to ask for help and mention that I'm A VETERAN. They ask you went you apply for a loan, went you filled a BBB complain. SO ITS MY RIGHT TO SAY THAT IM ONE AND LOOKING FOR ADVICE.
You should take your time, proofread your responses and learn how to spell korrectly.

(Active serving member of the USAF).
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #53
TheDiddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
that would be a dct.

sorry man, i don't mean to be rude, but what you are asking for exists, as an dct.

i don't see any other way.
They could do something like electronic gate locking. Cant go into a gear if the calculated RPM is in the money shift area. Have some mechanism block the shifter from going into that path. Its possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #54
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Thanks for you help.

First, thanks for your service and the determination.

You signed up voluntarily and as mentioned, you knew there would be sacrifices that some of us are not willing to make. That makes you a hero that we are not, but this does not mean you are entitled.

At the end, and again, mentioned by lot of fellas here, this does not sit well against BMW. If you are looking to have a chance for the case, I suggest you to remove this thread as soon as you can because what you described is obviously user error.

I am sorry, but I hate entitlement as there should be no such thing in this world.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #55
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

seriously. there are currently no manual trannys that exist that can prevent you from over rev'ing the engine with a money shift. it is physically impossible. the gears are set by you. you shoved it into a wrong gear, engine fuel gets cut, but the engine is spinning because you released the clutch and now it is toast. valves are bent. etc.
This was discussed to death in the last over-rev blown engine sob story thread (with a different OP who was light on details). GM made some Corvettes (or Camaros?) with a gate lockout feature to prevent you from shifting into too low a gear if it would result in an over-rev condition, so it's entirely possible to design transmissions to save you from yourself. But just like people rail against traction control being too intrusive, many GM drivers hated the lockout and purposely disabled it.
      11-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #56
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiddy View Post
They could do something like electronic gate locking. Cant go into a gear if the calculated RPM is in the money shift area. Have some mechanism block the shifter from going into that path. Its possible.
your suggestion is great, but the violence of the shift and the quickness of the shift as well as the specific timing of redline indicator would require some serious technology and some strong servos.

so let me rephrase... it is not possible without a time machine at this point.

Previously:
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #57
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiddy View Post
Yes, it exists, GM did it.
      11-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #58
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
P.S.A.

2nd - 3rd - open palm and turn your palm slightly clockwise and push up and away
3rd - 4th - Put palm on top of shifter and flick the shifter down with your fingers directly into 4th (pistol gripping causes the inclination to pull towards 2nd especially when you are at redline, trying to execute the fastest speed racer shift)
4th - 5th - turn palm slightly clockwise like going 2nd-3rd, and push up up and away
You describe it exactly how I have been doing it for over 20 years. I grew up on manuals so never really thought about it but you have described it really well. By the way, no one mentioned this year but it is a bad item to permanently rest your hand on the shifter like it was an arm rest. I have seen a lot of folks do it.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #59
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
There is no way any auto manufacturer would ever lose a class action law suit over customers doing money shifts. That is NOT covered by any warranty.
Funny - I just assumed this was sarcasm

Was he serious?

Also as of 2.32 pm MST the OP has -1 reputation.

i didnt even know that was possible.....

Anyway, another day, another silly post, another predictable result from the forum.
      11-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #60
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
Quote:
Thanks for you help.

As a fellow Army VETERAN of multiple wars/deployments, I advise you to delete this thread. Start new one containing the transmission type and all of the data that you can source from your trip to the service center. We can analyze it and assist you with a course of action once everything is laid out in front of us. Coming in here and screaming "I'm a veteran" while providing us a with little to no relevant information, although within your rights, will just turn the forum against you. I'm all in for helping a fellow bother in arms, but please be tactful about the way you asking for help. Relax, type up what you need to say, proof read, then post it. Leave the constant references to your service at a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #61
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
Quote:

Attachment 1321558
I thought I was the only one. This avatar has follow me through 3 forums with the hope of someone providing me with the same information you're seeking.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #62
dalto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Attachment 1321558
Quote:
I thought I was the only one. This avatar has follow me through 3 forums with the hope of someone providing me with the same information you're seeking.
Looks like Brown from Purple and Brown.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #63
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
P.S.A.

There is a correct way to hold the shifter, please do it. Don't grab the shifter like a gun handle in every gear. The F8x gearbox is so direct and so clean and crisp, use it to your advantage. Sit in your car and feel how each gear should engage - it is impossible to go 3rd to 4th and accidentally into second if you are going STRAIGHT DOWN and holding the shifter correctly. you need to physically pull the lever towards you in neutral and then go down into 2nd..

My method.. get used to changing your hand position and you will reduce your risk/chance of misshifting. Continue grabbing the shifter like a pistol in every gear other than 1st to 2nd and it is only a matter of time. This might seem like basic knowledge to some but for the people that grab it like a pistol, I highly suggest you consider why I always advise against it. But to each his own..
This makes me want to get a manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #64
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
I don't know...

his avatar has arms.

brown does not.... but it looks awfully close.... thanks.

Name:  1218031986238_f.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  13.4 KB

Previously:
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #65
dalto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't know...

his avatar has arms.

brown does not.... but it looks awfully close.... thanks.

Attachment 1321588
I think that is just an expression on his face

https://coub.com/view/c0u8
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #66
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
YOU ARE RIGHT.

thank you, my curiosity has been satiated. This forum is amazing. Ask and you shall receive.

Name:  brown-chewing-gum-o.gif
Views: 499
Size:  23.3 KB

Previously:
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread