Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

06-26-2019, 07:30 AM   #441
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I've been getting this screeching noise when I'm about to park... Coming from the front right... Went to look and noticed a groove in my wheel barrels... left and right. Geez! I was worried about this on my GT350R and The CF wheels... Little did I know, GTS has the same issue.

Has anyone, actually, had the wheels replaced under warranty?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #442
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by em4ef82 View Post
Looks like the guys at Pagani and Koenigsegg already thought about this
Interesting. Would have thought the aftermarket would have offered a similar solution by now.

Last edited by mose121; 06-26-2019 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #443
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Hi there

I’ve discovered an issue with one of my CCB calipers. On the drivers side front, the paint seems to have chipped away in multiple locations on the front facing side. There is damage in two locations on the rear side, though the rear side marks looks to be more like a gouge. There is no damage to any other calipers on the car. Only the front drivers side.

I had springs installed last week and I am unsure whether what I am seeing here is the installer damaging the caliper, or simply from stones hitting the painted surfaces. If the latter, why do all other calipers look perfect? Looking for any similar experiences or just your opinion on what might have occurred here.

When I went back to the installed to sort out an alignment issue, he casually mentioned that it was a big job and he had to take the caliper off the car. While I thought it od, I didn't think at the time to question why he did that, but I know it's not necessary. Could he have simply mishandled the caliper, hit it with a tool; or is it likely stone chips which have hit the caliper over and over in a single week period?

Thanks.

Edit.

The more I look at the pictures, I cannot explain how it’s stones. If it was one single event, I cannot see how the caliper would be damaged in 5-6 locations, front and back. A rock would have rolled around potentially and fallen out at some point. As the rock would move around, I don't see how it would hit the caliper over and over at speed in order to cause a chip each time it touched the painted surfaces.

If it’s damage from multiple events, as in multiple stones from many drives, why is only one caliper affected?

Edit 2.

A friend of mine picked up the car after the springs were installed and I can see the damage in the video, so the damage was 100% there immediately after the car was picked up. I also have photos from about a week prior to the car being dropped off which show no damage. So once again, if it's stones or metal, it would have had to occur during that single week period.

Further, there is zero damage to the inside barrell of the wheel, so I don't believe a stone or piece of metal was stuck and kept moving around inside the wheel.

Would anyone know what the paint code is for these CCB's?

Edit 3

I've had a lot of feedback from various sources that believe the issues stems from the mechanic who installed my springs failing to fit the wheel without damaging the caliper. I'm taking it up with them though my expectation is that the caliper is replaced. Looks to be approx $3000 AUD for the part alone, or about $900 from ECS ($1300 AUD) if purchased online and shipped to Australia.

Edit 4

Further inspection reveals that the LHS caliper is also damaged, though not nearly as bad and only on the bottom facing edge. This is not noticeable from viewing directly front on or down at the brake so I am less concerned. I haven't taken the wheels off again to inspect the calipers fully however.

The shop has admitted the mistake though are expecting to paint the caliper to repair the damage. I've advised them that the only suitable resolution will be to replace the caliper on the drivers side, which is the most affected. I'm happy to look past the damage to the LHS if the RHS is replaced correctly.

Last edited by elisiX; 09-30-2019 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #444
Nanometer
Vice Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp & 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
I'm in this club as well right now. The left rear is especially bad, and I will be curious to learn what they will do about it. Car is currently in for the Drive Shaft recall.
      10-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #445
Shadow2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 MG F80 M3

Is it safe to assume the M2C brake kit would have the exact same issue? Seeing as its the same caliper(other than piston material), and rotor diameter? This will gouge the 437m's? I also have a set of Signature SV701's in 19", would they alleviate the issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #446
Nanometer
Vice Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Dealer told me too bad, it's considered normal wear and tear and does not represent a safety problem.. Though it certainly effects the value of the wheel. I am sure had this issue been raised as a potential problem and that 19's are not recommended, that most customers would have made the change to 20s. Not fair that we are guinea pigs to BMW's poor planning in brake/wheel clearance. Oh well. I am planning on aftermarket wheels anyways.
      11-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #447
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
The shop has admitted the mistake though are expecting to paint the caliper to repair the damage. I've advised them that the only suitable resolution will be to replace the caliper on the drivers side, which is the most affected. I'm happy to look past the damage to the LHS if the RHS is replaced correctly.
That's an unreasonable expectation imho. If your car is scratched, you expect a new one?

IMO having the two calipers redone at a quality place should be an acceptable solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #448
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
That's an unreasonable expectation imho. If your car is scratched, you expect a new one?

IMO having the two calipers redone at a quality place should be an acceptable solution.
No that means all 4 calipers need RK be refinished at same time
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #449
AquaRelliux
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

BMW M2 Comp calipers destroyed by Swedish weather

So I had my car for one winter now and I got the rims 19" that BMW recommends for the winter setup. The wheels are deemed unsafe by my local tire shop to drive with after one winter since there is 3-4mm deep groves in the wheel barrel which severely compromises the structural rigidity of the rim. And the right front caliper has a lot of damage on the leading edge closest to the wheel. This can't be right?.. It basically means that the car is unusable for winter driving with the M2 BBK. I also noticed that I have some minor damge on my summer tires in the wheel barrel. Should have have to live with this? Why is there no DIY solutions to this already? I am thinking plow in front of the caliper would work. Another thing I have been thinking of is that having the caliper mounted in the front instead of the back would also help since most rocks gets stuck when moving forward but that may impact the weight distribution in a negative way.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #450
Nanometer
Vice Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
DIY solution? what the heck will you do? There's too much material so you either remove material from the brake caliper or remove material from your wheel, which seems like the rocks are doing a nice job of.. lol. My solution was to go to 19inch BC forged. Got 1200 for my old 19 wheel set and am happy about it.
      04-21-2020, 05:22 PM   #451
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Both the F8x M3/M4 CCB and M2 Comp Standard brakes are the same size and due to this large caliper and rotor, any OEM wheel is susceptible to this scoring. We actually did a fitment test using the OEM 788M wheels when compared to our EC-7 19" wheels and the clearance difference was staggering.

Take a look at the clearance on the OEM wheels using a very scientific ratchet extender to check clearances:

Compared to the 19" EC-7 wheel:

While this little bit of clearance looks marginal, it is more than enough for almost all road debris to freely move around the caliper, preventing the scoring damage that can occur when this debris becomes lodged between the caliper and the barrel.

These are massive brakes, and they need the proper breathing room from a more optimized barrel.

- Max
      06-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #452
Bon F80
Instagram: matte_f80_competition
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 ZCP 6-Speed

just found out that i'm already in the club...
Attached Images

Street: Michelin PS4S F: 265/30-20 R: 285/30-20
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #453
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have them on my factory stock 19in wheels....Gonna happen

Pong....I will buy them if you hate the scratched wheels look
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #454
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Signature BMW

M2C Same Issue

The M2C guys have the same issues with OEM and off-the shelf wheels, since their calipers are the same as your CCB. Our wheels are specifically designed for each vehicle's brakes, leaving the largest inner barrel clearance possible. Wayyy more than OEM! see below. I'm here to help, feel free to ask questions!

19.5LB front and 20.7LB rear

Attached Images

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 06-19-2020 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 11:28 AM   #455
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Signature BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
I've been getting this screeching noise when I'm about to park... Coming from the front right... Went to look and noticed a groove in my wheel barrels... left and right. Geez! I was worried about this on my GT350R and The CF wheels... Little did I know, GTS has the same issue.

Has anyone, actually, had the wheels replaced under warranty?

Thanks!
Rock / gravel causing damage are not covered.

We have one of the largest inner barrel possible, CCB swims in our 19". We've done 19/18 drag setup with the CS and GTS even.

Below: Signature Track Series 19" front and 18" rear for 1/2 mile race in Puerto Rico.
Attached Images

06-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #456
M4OND
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Hi - ive got a CS and it has recently developed this terrible squeaking when driving at all speeds - is there a way i can upload a video of it to see if any of you know what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 12:00 PM   #457
AndyBlackman777
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4

Anyone had a wheel failure because of this? mine are pretty bad with the full circumfernce
scoring, getting a tad worried
Appreciate 0