Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #67
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I love my E36 M3. You won’t understand until you drive one on track. My lap times are equal to most F8X on similar coil overs and tires! At this track, I was faster than the 2 F82s in advance group and the instructor with the M2. The black car was a Miata with Honda K24 on Hoosiers and the white car was a Cayman S on Hoosiers.

Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      10-24-2019, 04:18 PM   #68
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
In Colorado you are going to be towing a ton if you focus on enduros. Plan on a lot of 5-day weekends, as outside of HPR everything is a 10-20 hour tow.

Another warning, your nice $8k Drago SM motor is a bad idea for endurance racing. In one WRL weekend you will rack up more engine time than an entire sprint season. You will pop motors if you don't proactively replace them, and this applies to all spec classes with fancy motor builds.

If I were getting into w2w racing in Colorado, I would pick a class with solid fields and aim to hit every weekend they run. You want to race against crowded fields, as you'll best learn in a class where it doesn't turn into open-lapping by lap 3. In our region I believe NASA is far healthier than SCCA and PCA. Spec Miata and GTS2/3 are the strongest fields I believe, I think Spec Miata is averaging 25 cars/weekend and GTS2/3 are at around 6-10/weekend.

Anywho, hope you find a w2w car that satisfies you. I am debating between GTS2 and GTS3 myself so as to have a reason to buy an e46.
Does OP have a comp license yet?

Doing some arrive and drive to try different classes of car and renting a car for comp license school seems wise before even discussing car classes to buy or build

And talking to the renting team about cost per weekend (or per track hour) makes good sense too.

Right now, as a w2w noob I am benefiting greatly from other (much faster) SM drivers sharing their data with me. If I raced in an expensive and lightly fielded class, I would not have that (very valuable) benefit.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #69
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Hadn't considered licensing and such, I presumed OP either had that sorted, or was already planning on sorting that. We have a few options for arrive and drive for comp license, and you could easily do an arrive and drive for your rookie races before transitioning to your goal class. I know a few SM renters, if OP wants to pursue that route.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:46 PM   #70
theox05
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT4

Let me toss this out there too:

Pretty much down to E92 M3 or c5 Vette

What is the current consensus on high mileage e92 M3s? Are they junk or do they hold up? Looking at a couple sub 20k ones with about 100-110k miles on them.

Also, I hear a lot of static about the 08 being the worst year, but cant find any facts, just people spouting off. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 06:46 AM   #71
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by theox05 View Post
Let me toss this out there too:

Pretty much down to E92 M3 or c5 Vette

What is the current consensus on high mileage e92 M3s? Are they junk or do they hold up? Looking at a couple sub 20k ones with about 100-110k miles on them.

Also, I hear a lot of static about the 08 being the worst year, but cant find any facts, just people spouting off. Thoughts?
I don't find anything easier to drive and more communicative than the E9X chassis

All the years are the same, exact same engine and drivetrain components.

You'll need to do rod bearings anyway so unless you're looking for the LCI taillights, who cares
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #72
theox05
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT4

Just to put some finality on this thread, ended up with a 2003 C5 Vette Z06 w/ 25k miles.

M4 is the refined lady now, Vette is the one you don't bring home to mother.

What is most striking is the sheer size of the M4 compared to the Vette. M4 looks like a SUV next to it in the garage lol.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #73
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by theox05 View Post
Just to put some finality on this thread, ended up with a 2003 C5 Vette Z06 w/ 25k miles.

M4 is the refined lady now, Vette is the one you don't bring home to mother.

What is most striking is the sheer size of the M4 compared to the Vette. M4 looks like a SUV next to it in the garage lol.

congrats and nice car. In the other thread, someone was sharing that you should get good at dropping the rear subframe, and have some spare hubs on hand.
Appreciate 0