Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

05-16-2024, 02:47 AM   #1
mattgc13
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Competition

666M Rims + Wider than Stock Continental ECS02

Hey guys,

I am currently running stock size Pilot Super Sports on my Stage 2 ZCP M4 with 666m rims (Front: 265/30/20 - Rear: 285/30/20), and need new tires soon.

Upon doing some research, it seems that ECS02 are about the same if not better in some people's opinions to PS4S, so I will probably give them a shot. I drive mostly in the city, however do plan to do some autocross once things cool down again (Arizona).

I have not seen anyone talk about using a wider tire on these rims and having issues rubbing, like I was able to find for the PS4S. I would really like to go wider in the rear since it gets pretty squirelly in the rear after tuning.

Does anyone have experience going wider with the Continentals?

I was thinking to try:
Front: 275/30/20
Rear: 295/30/20

I mostly ask this question due to the difference in tread width being pretty significantly different between the PS4S and the ECS02. Tire rack states that the they are 11.1" and 10.3", respectively.

How can they be so different in width but the same size? Would that make a difference in traction? I didn't hear anyone mention this at all in reviews or on forums, but in theory, I would imagine it could negate going wider in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 05:19 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

The widest tires you should use are 265/285 on F/R 9”/10” wide wheels. A 275 needs a 9.5” wide wheel and a 295 requires a 10.5” wide wheels to extract 100% grip and performance of the tires. Wider tires on a narrower wheel doesn’t result in improved grip and lower lap times. Check out this GRM article (there are plenty more articles and videos out there having the same conclusion s):
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...always-better/

Tread width can very drastically between the same size tire manufactured by two different brands. BMW spec’ed less wide tread width to allow proper support of a tire mounted on a wider wheel. The support of the sidewall is important because it alters how a tire responds and performs. Response id higher and grip is higher (again, see link above).

I’d go with MPS4S unless you want higher grip from an extreme performance (lower mileage before needing to be replaced). MPS4S is a max performance tire. Bridgestone RE71RS, Yokohama A052, Yokohama AD09, Goodyear SC3, etc. all have extremely high grip compared to the MPS4S but their performance is awesome.
Appreciate 0