Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

03-13-2016, 11:40 PM   #23
LayZA55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO/SS F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnazzy View Post
LayZA55, I am not really following. I don't know what a sponge is in reference to our conversation...

First let me say, my car is an F82 and I have the BMW spoiler (real one not replica). I also have XPEL on the trunk so I needed to get as much "stick" as possible as it is harder to stick things to XPEL than just paint.

I got ALL of the residue off the trunk (mostly my poor thumb rubbing it off) and then washed the trunk and then I cleaned it with 90% IPA (from walmart) and a microfibertowel. I cleaned it 3-4 times until it dissolved evenly so I knew there wasn't much of any wax or other residue.

I purchased 3m doublesided foam "red" super strength tape. I don't remember the exact part number because I got anxious and went to a couple parts stores and bought locally but I think this was it. (03609)
http://www.amazon.com/3M-03609-Scotc.../dp/B000BO913C

I bought 3 but only ended up needing 2.

I then cleaned and removed residual tape from the spoiler (this took forever and gave me a blister because of the rough CF). I must have cleaned it 5 times with IPA.

I then mounted the tape like the factory in very long strips so you can pull the red backing off AFTER you put the spoiler on the car. On each end I put extra tape and there were NO GAPS. I pulled back the red backing a little so after the spoiler was pressed onto the trunk with 2 people we could pull the backing.

we used blue tape as a guide so when pushing the spoiler on, we knew it was even and used our fingers as guides for the last few mm before touching the trunk with the spoiler.

Pressed down, pulled the the red backing out, pressed down for about 4ish minutes and then while still applying pressure, put about 40 strips of blue tape perpendicular to the spoiler, attaching it to the top part and back/rear part of the trunk. Left it in the garage like that for 24 hours.

You can use beta or promoter if you want but I didn't.
Thanks I think I'm going to switch to that 3m tape.

The sponge I was referring to was the one located in the packet of promoter. It allows you to apply the promoter to the surface. I noticed that when I pulled the spoiler back off, the side where I started using promoter stuck really well, but the middle and the right side, where I think there was very little promoter, did not stay on. I have a feeling the promoter really helps to keep things down. Appreciate all the help. I should probably get a friend to help me next time instead of lone wolfing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 12:25 AM   #24
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

You really can't do it alone and get the best results.

And one more time, you need to do this inside or on a completely dry day and re- IPA the trunk minutes before you apply the spoiler.
Appreciate 1