Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

10-29-2015, 02:58 AM   #23
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

I appreciate the input. I was unfortunate enough to get Continental p5's, which i believe did better in the wet. While I was in Germany, I drove up the Grossglockner pass, it at the peak it was snowing, fairly hard. I was basically cruising at 15-20mph down the pass for about 1.5-2h and I thought it performed well then.

So if the whole pass looks clear, warm, ill book a ticket that morning to Spokane, if not ill have it trucked over to the Bellevue. I just dont think i can wait one more day to reunite with my car lol.

Last edited by Donger Kim; 10-29-2015 at 03:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #24
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes480 View Post
Went with the Rial P10 black wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tires. 245/45/18 square setup. Got my car in February, so only got a couple months in and no winter weather. Rides and handles well though.

Picked the wheels because they were cheap, but they don't look too bad actually.

-X-
Nice, I think those look pretty good for winter wheels!

I'm considering picking up the same for mine, but the only Alpin PA4s TireRack has right now are three and a half years old and they said they weren't getting anything newer. I'm also considering the Blizzak LM-32s as an alternative but I'm not sure how they stack up against the Michelins. Seems like the Blizzaks are better in the snow but worse in the dry/wet, and we mostly get the latter around here.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #25
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
You will be fine 99% of the time but without proper rubber there are about 3-4 days a year where you will be at high risk of smashing your car up. It's those freak ice/frost days that Seattle gets - combined with the hills and elevation everywhere - that will do you in. I live by a modest hill and last winter I went out to get a coffee one Sunday morning and found about 10 cars smashed up from ice on the hill.

If you can avoid driving at all for those few days - that's another option. Of course it's not always easy to predict when that's going to happen - or when it has happened as you head off to work.
Yeah it's those freak days that I'm concerned with. It's not always easy to plan for those and telling your boss that you're staying home from work because 'it might snow later today' doesn't always fly.

Last year I don't think I would have needed them at all. I'm still on the fence for this year but leaning towards getting them just for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #26
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post
I appreciate the input. I was unfortunate enough to get Continental p5's, which i believe did better in the wet. While I was in Germany, I drove up the Grossglockner pass, it at the peak it was snowing, fairly hard. I was basically cruising at 15-20mph down the pass for about 1.5-2h and I thought it performed well then.

So if the whole pass looks clear, warm, ill book a ticket that morning to Spokane, if not ill have it trucked over to the Bellevue. I just dont think i can wait one more day to reunite with my car lol.
You might get lucky this year. I have family in Spokane and drive over every few years for the holidays. Last year I went over mid-December and the pass was mostly clear. On the way back though there was a freak short-lived hailstorm near the summit that was a little dicey, and I couldn't have planned for that. I had a WRX with all-seasons then, and I'm not sure I would risk going over and back with summers.

I remember seeing a large mass of metal appearing out of the darkness to my left over the median, very surreal, which I eventually recognized to be the underside of an overturned semi. I passed by the emergency vehicles about 20 miles or so further west on their way to the scene.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #27
EstorilM
Cars, beer, hiking
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetkin View Post
Yeah it's those freak days that I'm concerned with. It's not always easy to plan for those and telling your boss that you're staying home from work because 'it might snow later today' doesn't always fly.

Last year I don't think I would have needed them at all. I'm still on the fence for this year but leaning towards getting them just for peace of mind.
Super Sports are going to be fine 99% of the time until you get one of the days you are talking about. Then I really don't think there is a tire that will help enough on ice/snow. I will say I have never had blizzaks, etc. but even with studded tires on a fwd car in the past, I still had no traction.

I've had super sports on my E36 for the last few months and I am blown away with the dry AND wet performance. I thought they would absolutely suck in the rain, but they are better than a lot of all seasons I have had.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #28
strumbringer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
Does anyone use A/S tires in the winter? I'm wondering if that's a better choice for the Seattle area as a safeguard against the unexpected (assuming one doesn't head to the passes).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #29
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep

Just a heads up for anyone who is thinking of trying to save a few bucks buying your tires from costco for new wheels...

I finally decided a few months back to just buy new wheels and tires to be safe, but purchased the wheels from tire rack and the tires from Costco. 18x8 Rial P10's and 245/45-18 Blizzak LM-32's. After somehow managing to separately fit all four wheels and tires in my car I got to Costco for the install and found out that they can't currently order or program the TPM sensors needed for this car. So now the wheels and tires are sitting unused in my garage, where they will likely remain until next fall. I guess it's a good thing I haven't needed them! I'm wishing now that I'd just paid the extra for Tire Rack to ship them pre-installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #30
AYTifosi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW F82 M4  [10.00]
I have been driving my car a little the past week or so. The stiffness of the chassis, the torque of the motor and the lower temps (I don't go out if it is lower than 40) do make it sooooooooo easy to break'em loose. I may opt for LMs next year.

I got snows for the wife's MB and yeah, I figured dealing with the TPMs would be a pain so I decided wtf and got'em. Sorry it's a hassle for you. Discount won't help? The Redmond store is slower, so maybe they could? What about BMW Bellevue? I have bought tires from Tire Rack and had them installed and Bellevue.
      01-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #31
Xerxes480
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Just a heads up for anyone who is thinking of trying to save a few bucks buying your tires from costco for new wheels...

I finally decided a few months back to just buy new wheels and tires to be safe, but purchased the wheels from tire rack and the tires from Costco. 18x8 Rial P10's and 245/45-18 Blizzak LM-32's. After somehow managing to separately fit all four wheels and tires in my car I got to Costco for the install and found out that they can't currently order or program the TPM sensors needed for this car. So now the wheels and tires are sitting unused in my garage, where they will likely remain until next fall. I guess it's a good thing I haven't needed them! I'm wishing now that I'd just paid the extra for Tire Rack to ship them pre-installed.
That sucks. That was my main reason for going with Tire Rack - getting it all done in one shot!

I wonder what there is to program on the TPM modules? Thought it was just mounting them on the wheels and then a sync with the car...

Stay safe out there, as AYTifosi said it's super easy to break loose in the colder temps.

-X-
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #32
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYTifosi View Post
I have been driving my car a little the past week or so. The stiffness of the chassis, the torque of the motor and the lower temps (I don't go out if it is lower than 40) do make it sooooooooo easy to break'em loose. I may opt for LMs next year.

I got snows for the wife's MB and yeah, I figured dealing with the TPMs would be a pain so I decided wtf and got'em. Sorry it's a hassle for you. Discount won't help? The Redmond store is slower, so maybe they could? What about BMW Bellevue? I have bought tires from Tire Rack and had them installed and Bellevue.
Discount Tire can supposedly order the sensors but doesn't have them in stock. I didn't realize the dealership would do tire installations so that could be another option. I would have to get a refund from Costco for the installation price since it's built into the tire purchase and then pay a lot more elsewhere. If I knew it was going to snow or get really cold again I would probably just do it.

My biggest traction problem so far is the rain. Anytime I need to pull out quickly into traffic on wet roads I get tire spin. The temperature may have something to do with it also but it's been mostly above 40 here.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #33
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That sucks. That was my main reason for going with Tire Rack - getting it all done in one shot!

I wonder what there is to program on the TPM modules? Thought it was just mounting them on the wheels and then a sync with the car...

Stay safe out there, as AYTifosi said it's super easy to break loose in the colder temps.

-X-
Costco told me their computer needs to be updated in order to sync them, and that they usually get computer updates in February or end of January. So I might call again in a month to see if they can install them then, but I'm guessing the worst of winter in this area is already over.

I've been driving the car like it's on ice lately because of the wet roads and have already experienced a bit of wheel spin trying to pull out into traffic at intersections like at the 520 to 202 off ramp. Most of the time now I leave it in efficient mode to be safe. I'm hoping it'll be more fun to drive this summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #34
Xerxes480
First Lieutenant
Rep

My experience was that as soon as the temps dropped below 50, the PSS tires lost a lot of wet traction. They definitely don't like the chill in the air. I pulled out of my neighborhood one morning in October (before winters were on), gunned it a little, and nearly crapped my pants when the car went sideways on me. Lesson learned - respect the beast!

-X-
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #35
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My experience was that as soon as the temps dropped below 50, the PSS tires lost a lot of wet traction. They definitely don't like the chill in the air. I pulled out of my neighborhood one morning in October (before winters were on), gunned it a little, and nearly crapped my pants when the car went sideways on me. Lesson learned - respect the beast!

-X-
Wow, that's good to know! Thankfully i haven't experienced anything like that yet but I have been driving it pretty conservatively. Mine also came with Conti's so I'm not sure how those compare for wet traction with the PSS tires. I'm hoping they improve for spring/fall driving because we still get a lot of rain.

Did you notice improved wet traction with your winters? If so I may still try to get mine installed before it warms up.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #36
Xerxes480
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you notice improved wet traction with your winters?
In the cooler temps, definitely. Can't push the winters as hard though - nannies kick in much quicker.

-X-
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2016, 02:06 AM   #37
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

I've been running on Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions since October and have driven them in every weather seen in King and Pierce County, especially the frosty mornings. I have 5600 miles on them so far. No issues at all at 27F dry, 34F wet, and 40F pouring rain.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2016, 03:55 AM   #38
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

I can't believe how crappy the pilots are on my car at 40 degrees and raining. I do appreciate the overly aggressive stability control. My car is all but useless for even moderate acceleration (moderate is WOT for only 3 or 4 seconds instead of 10+ , lolz joking). Pretty much if it isn't 100% dry and the tires aren't at least 70 degrees, they break loose all of the time. I even have 1'st and 2nd on stock boost limits with the jb4. I actually contemplated maybe getting some better tires for winter (probably for next year).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 07:37 AM   #39
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Its true. 40 degrees and/or wet means zero chance of spirited driving on PSSs. Need at least 55 for spirited driving IMHO.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #40
Shanh81
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 & 2016 F15

Garage List
2020 Porsche GT4  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
I have Conti on mine. Drove for the first time in the rain but can't comment on traction as 405 was moving at a snails pace.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #41
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

F83, add a JB4, exhaust/dps, etc. on Map2.... it needs to be about 65 with tire heat at least 70.
Appreciate 0