GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-24-2017, 01:26 AM   #23
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I sort of always kept both of my hands on the steering wheel and I don't really have a road around my area to test if my car is drifting due to the road, or if the car is doing it on it's own but I will definitely keep an eye on mine just in case.
      02-24-2017, 03:28 AM   #24
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMBdoc View Post
Job # 1 Labor Total: $ 0.00
CLEINT STATES THE VEHICLE IS PULLING TO THE RIGHT.
SPECIALORDERED PARTS ARE HERE. SEE CONRAD
Cause: PREVIOUS VIST FOUND THE FRONT CAMBER LEFT AND RIGHT WERE NOTEVEN, BUT WERE STILL IN SPEC. NEW SWIVEL BEARING WAS ORDEREDTO ADJUST CAMBER.
Correction: REPLACED THE RIGHT FRONT SWIVEL BEARING WITH -30 PART.PERFORMED ALIGNMENT AND ADJUSTED THE FRONT TOE. PERFORMEDSTEERING START-UP. TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE AND IT WAS STILLDRIFTING RIGHT. SWAPPED ALL 4 WHEELS WITH A KNOWN GOOD SET.TEST DROVE AND IT WAS STILL DRIFTING. REINSTALLED ORIGINALWHEELS. CONTACTED BMW AND WAS GIVEN A RECOMMEND PROCEDURE.REMOVED THE NEW SWIVEL BEARING AND INSTALLED ORIGINAL.REPLACED THE LEFT SWIVEL BEARING WITH +30. PERFORMEDALIGNMENT AND ADJUSTED FRONT TOE. TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE ANDTHE VEHICLE WAS NOW TRACKING STRAIGHT. SHOP FOREMAN RODECUSTOMER AND HE WAS SATISFIED.
Part Number Part Description Parts Total: $ 0.00
BM33-32-6-768-884 HEXAGON NUT WITH CO
BM07-11-9-905-418 HEX BOLT WITH WASHE
BM31-21-7-853-640 SWIVEL BEARING, CAM
BM31-21-7-853-637 PIVOT BEARING, CAMB
BM31-20-6-872-920 ROUND COLLAR SCREW
BM33-30-6-787-062 COMBINATION NUT
Thanks for sharing the info! Do you happen to have or could get the alignment specs before and after their "fix"?
This seems to be the "patch" bmw has but not the "fix". Adding more negative camber to the passenger side or positive camber to the driver's side will counter the pull to the right. The swivel bearings that were installed are -30min (-0.5 deg) to the passenger's side then they tried +30min (+0.5deg) to driver's side.
For guys like me with camber plates, I can get the alignment done perfectly and it will still pull to the right. I've seen others with their alignment having more neg on passenger or more pos on driver to get their car to drive straight but this is just covering up an intrinsic problem. Thus, I call this a "patch". I don't want my car to have -3 front right and -1 front left to drive straight.
I think there are 2 other variables which haven't been addressed by anyone's patch: caster and electronic steering.
Any other thoughts?
      02-24-2017, 03:59 AM   #25
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Meeting him at BMW of Austin Friday morning, want to share the wealth and also ask about other F80 owners who've experienced this pull to the right.

Who else had this pull-right issue?

Please sign up here - if you can give your VIN, even better!

We need to prove this is an issue, this is OUR chance to get a fix!
Check out my last post and ask BMW if there's a real fix coming our way and not just adjusting camber till it drives straight. Thanks and good luck! Hopefully find some answers!
      02-24-2017, 07:44 AM   #26
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels
Quote:
Cause: PREVIOUS VIST FOUND THE FRONT CAMBER LEFT AND RIGHT WERE NOTEVEN, BUT WERE STILL IN SPEC. NEW SWIVEL BEARING WAS ORDEREDTO ADJUST CAMBER.
Correction: REPLACED THE RIGHT FRONT SWIVEL BEARING WITH -30 PART.PERFORMED ALIGNMENT AND ADJUSTED THE FRONT TOE. PERFORMEDSTEERING START-UP. TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE AND IT WAS STILLDRIFTING RIGHT. SWAPPED ALL 4 WHEELS WITH A KNOWN GOOD SET.TEST DROVE AND IT WAS STILL DRIFTING. REINSTALLED ORIGINALWHEELS. CONTACTED BMW AND WAS GIVEN A RECOMMEND PROCEDURE.REMOVED THE NEW SWIVEL BEARING AND INSTALLED ORIGINAL.REPLACED THE LEFT SWIVEL BEARING WITH +30. PERFORMEDALIGNMENT AND ADJUSTED FRONT TOE. TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE ANDTHE VEHICLE WAS NOW TRACKING STRAIGHT. SHOP FOREMAN RODECUSTOMER AND HE WAS SATISFIED.
Thanks for sharing the info! Do you happen to have or could get the alignment specs before and after their "fix"?
This seems to be the "patch" bmw has but not the "fix". Adding more negative camber to the passenger side or positive camber to the driver's side will counter the pull to the right. The swivel bearings that were installed are -30min (-0.5 deg) to the passenger's side then they tried +30min (+0.5deg) to driver's side.
For guys like me with camber plates, I can get the alignment done perfectly and it will still pull to the right. I've seen others with their alignment having more neg on passenger or more pos on driver to get their car to drive straight but this is just covering up an intrinsic problem. Thus, I call this a "patch". I don't want my car to have -3 front right and -1 front left to drive straight.
I think there are 2 other variables which haven't been addressed by anyone's patch: caster and electronic steering.
Any other thoughts?
+1 Unfortunately stock front caster adjustment is pretty much not an option just like camber. I did have one Dinan performance shop tell me that the next step would be to look closer at EPS. All they could do is retrain the steering wheel center line which didn't help any. They did tell me that a software update may be available for EPS but BMW wants me to pay for it. Hope that today yields some news that will arm me to get them to flash my car under warranty.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #27
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Any other thoughts?
+1 Unfortunately stock front caster adjustment is pretty much not an option just like camber. I did have one Dinan performance shop tell me that the next step would be to look closer at EPS. All they could do is retrain the steering wheel center line which didn't help any. They did tell me that a software update may be available for EPS but BMW wants me to pay for it. Hope that today yields some news that will arm me to get them to flash my car under warranty.
Yeah, I had my steering wheel reset and it did nothing. If it is truly a software problem with the EPS then this should be provided under warranty for free!! But if I have to pay a couple hundred bucks to get my car to drive straight then I'd still do it in a heartbeat!
I've already spent WAY too much money on a car that I do not completely enjoy. If I get this problem straightened out (pun) then I'll keep it for years. If not then taking a huge loss on my M4 and buying a P-car is my next step. After many BMWs, I'm afraid this is my last...
      02-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #28
suprajjang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SMB M3CS

I'm glad I found this thread as I noticed it for the first time this morning. Have not had this issue but on my commute this morning, I noticed the car pulling to the right which required immediate correction. I take the same roads on my commute and today was the first time I experienced this. ZCP M3 with 2500 miles now.

I also noticed today when taking a off ramp that any slight change in throttle made the car feel very unstable. Once again, same roads I take everyday and first time noticing today. Not sure if these 2 issues are related but definitely something I need to investigate more on the evening commute home.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #29
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any other thoughts?
Yeah, I had my steering wheel reset and it did nothing. If it is truly a software problem with the EPS then this should be provided under warranty for free!! But if I have to pay a couple hundred bucks to get my car to drive straight then I'd still do it in a heartbeat!
I've already spent WAY too much money on a car that I do not completely enjoy. If I get this problem straightened out (pun) then I'll keep it for years. If not then taking a huge loss on my M4 and buying a P-car is my next step. After many BMWs, I'm afraid this is my last...
It's like I wrote this post myself. Let's hope for a real fix soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #30
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprajjang
I'm glad I found this thread as I noticed it for the first time this morning. Have not had this issue but on my commute this morning, I noticed the car pulling to the right which required immediate correction. I take the same roads on my commute and today was the first time I experienced this. ZCP M3 with 2500 miles now.

I also noticed today when taking a off ramp that any slight change in throttle made the car feel very unstable. Once again, same roads I take everyday and first time noticing today. Not sure if these 2 issues are related but definitely something I need to investigate more on the evening commute home.
You should make your dealer aware ASAP since alignment issues are only covered up to 2k miles. Hopefully you're not too late.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #31
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprajjang

You should make your dealer aware ASAP since alignment issues are only covered up to 2k miles. Hopefully you're not too late.
+1!!!!!!!
I'm hoping more people complain about this issue thus forcing BMW to address this problem and find a proper fix for everyone!
How many alignments, spindle bearings, and lemoned cars will it take????
      02-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #32
YMBdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB Competition F80

Drove my car more extensively today and it is a totally different car, drives perfect now. Hope your meeting goes good with BMWNA
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #33
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Drove my car more extensively today and it is a totally different car, drives perfect now. Hope your meeting goes good with BMWNA
That's great! I hope to get mine straightened out too!
Still very interested in your alignment specs if you wouldn't mind sharing. I know it's a PITA for you but we would all appreciate the info!
      02-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #34
YMBdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB Competition F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
Still very interested in your alignment specs if you wouldn't mind sharing. I know it's a PITA for you but we would all appreciate the info!
Sure, they didn't give that to me on my invoice, I will try and get it
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #35
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sure, they didn't give that to me on my invoice, I will try and get it
Thanks!!!
      02-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #36
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Well, the NA engineer hadn't showed up yet when I got there at 11:30 so I ended up leaving the car and getting a loaner (nice new 535i), but didn't get to drive/ride with him to make sure they feel/see/experience the pull. That concerns me a little, but we'll see what they say

Net is, nothing to report yet unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #37
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie
Quote:
Well, the NA engineer hadn't showed up yet when I got there at 11:30 so I ended up leaving the car and getting a loaner (nice new 535i), but didn't get to drive/ride with him to make sure they feel/see/experience the pull. That concerns me a little, but we'll see what they say

Net is, nothing to report yet unfortunately
That's too bad. Will/do you have direct contact with the engineer?

thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #38
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

thanks for the update.
Hard to say, had hoped to have him ride with me but everything seems to be running through my SA. Not sure if that's policy, or just because he was late this morning.

I plan on calling before EOD today if I don't hear from them sooner to make sure he did show up and drive it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 03:12 PM   #39
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

thanks for the update.
Hard to say, had hoped to have him ride with me but everything seems to be running through my SA. Not sure if that's policy, or just because he was late this morning.

I plan on calling before EOD today if I don't hear from them sooner to make sure he did show up and drive it.
Bummer. I was hoping you could have talked with him directly. You're more knowledgeable about this problem than any SA there!
      02-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #40
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Bummer. I was hoping you could have talked with him directly. You're more knowledgeable about this problem than any SA there!
Yah, I agree. I am going to try and chat with him at a minimum for sure.

That said, I do really like my SA. Never given me any grief about tracking the E90 M3 - and said he won't on the F80 either - and did an SRF flush for me cheaper than Soulspeed charges
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #41
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

SA just wrote me and they are ordering parts, including the driver side camber kit. They did passenger last time.

So there's movement, hope this fixes it like it did YMBdoc

Will be Tuesday at the earliest before the parts come in and can get replaced, so I'm luxo cruising this weekend in the 535
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #42
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
SA just wrote me and they are ordering parts, including the driver side camber kit. They did passenger last time.

Will be Tuesday at the earliest before the parts come in and can get replaced, so I'm luxo cruising this weekend in the 535
If you can please post the final alignment specs. Thanks for the hard work!
      02-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #43
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you can please post the final alignment specs. Thanks for the hard work!
Yup, will do!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #44
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well, seems like they are sticking to the typical test plan for this. Any discussion on what they would try if this does not fix it for you?

YMBdoc any luck getting your alignment sheet. It would be great to have as a comparison.

Very much appreciate everyone's positive input on this thread. Just knowing I am not the only one dealing with this is a huge help.
Appreciate 0