Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #89
YMBdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB Competition F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Why did you have it aligned? was it pulling?

As to -.49, that's really bad IMO as it's the same as my 340 had, which is obviously not an M-car. It's also over half a degree delta between the two sides, which seems to be a lot, not quite as pronounced as my current settings, but still out of whack.

when I first had the car aligned at about 300 miles, it was -1.4 and -1.5 right to left which I believe is sort of where an M-car with stock EDC should be.
They aligned it after they replaced the steering knuckle.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 11:08 PM   #90
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

This is nuts...

Ok - got the car aligned once again at yet another independent shop and I had to ask them to check the front alignment twice because somehow my camber is now off .7 degrees when it was only off .2 degrees at my last alignment in December.

Below are my last 4 alignment specs each from a different shop. Notice how Spec Range is also slightly different between each shop. I am really hoping today's big delta in front camber is just a machine calibration issue. I plan on going back to the last shop next week to have this verified (they are closed weekends).

Today's Alignment - with this much more neg. camber on the right, the car should pull left yet it continues to pull right. I really hope this is truly not a chassis issue.

Name:  04-RedwoodGen.JPG
Views: 1372
Size:  73.6 KB

From December 2016 - done by performance race shop. Toe was left to compensate for the right pull.
Name:  03-TrackSpec.JPG
Views: 1196
Size:  72.3 KB

From November 2016 - after having the left steering carrier/knuckle replaced. Car no longer snapped to the right and put still pulled - about 80% better.
Name:  02-SDAutoTech.JPG
Views: 1164
Size:  75.7 KB

From October 2016 - this was the final of 3 alignments done by the shop that installed my Dinan suspension. Notice I had more neg. camber on left. Car severely snapped to the right.
Name:  01-Ptech.JPG
Views: 1194
Size:  73.0 KB
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #91
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
Ok - got the car aligned once again at yet another independent shop and I had to ask them to check the front alignment twice because somehow my camber is now off .7 degrees when it was only off .2 degrees at my last alignment in December.

Below are my last 4 alignment specs each from a different shop. Notice how Spec Range is also slightly different between each shop. I am really hoping today's big delta in front camber is just a machine calibration issue. I plan on going back to the last shop next week to have this verified (they are closed weekends).

Today's Alignment - with this much more neg. camber on the right, the car should pull left yet it continues to pull right. I really hope this is truly not a chassis issue.

Attachment 1583799

From December 2016 - done by performance race shop. Toe was left to compensate for the right pull.
Attachment 1583800

From November 2016 - after having the left steering carrier/knuckle replaced. Car no longer snapped to the right and put still pulled - about 80% better.
Attachment 1583801

From October 2016 - this was the final of 3 alignments done by the shop that installed my Dinan suspension. Notice I had more neg. camber on left. Car severely snapped to the right.
Attachment 1583802
Still playing phone tag with my NA rep, forwarded him the alignment sheet from the latest "fix" so he can see how far out of spec they had to go to make it track straight.

Keep us up to date on your end!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #92
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still playing phone tag with my NA rep, forwarded him the alignment sheet from the latest "fix" so he can see how far out of spec they had to go to make it track straight.

Keep us up to date on your end!
Will do - seems that both of our cars drive relatively straight when they are aligned outside of BMW recommended spec. Now that my toe has been put back to spec, it is driving almost as straight as it did when it was new. This morning, I was able to finally get it to pull left on a road that had a severe left crown. Nowhere near as much as it pulls to the right, but I suppose this is progress for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #93
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Will do - seems that both of our cars drive relatively straight when they are aligned outside of BMW recommended spec. Now that my toe has been put back to spec, it is driving almost as straight as it did when it was new. This morning, I was able to finally get it to pull left on a road that had a severe left crown. Nowhere near as much as it pulls to the right, but I suppose this is progress for me.
Yah, I have also had a left drift for the first time on roads with a left-side crown with the current alignment. Progress I guess - lol

I actually was able to get my rep on the phone about 20 mins ago and he's running this up to his supervisor and the NA team.

In that convo, made is clear that:

1) Car is out of spec alignment-wise and as-is the current configuration is not a real fix, just a band-aid to some unknown but underlying issue

2) This is my 3rd M-car (counting the E36 franken-car) and the other two never had this issue

3) I bought this car to track it and instruct but can't/won't do that with the current alignment spec, it's not safe (as even their own alignment machine states at the bottom)

Interesting thing from the convo with him was that stressing that I do track the car might actually help the case as they run it up through the channels. Buying a car and unable to use it for its intended purpose is a real thing they will need to address it seems.

He said expect a 5 business day turnaround on next steps, will update once I hear back.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #94
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Updated alignment spec

Had my alignment checked again at SD AutoTech to confirm what appeared to be a completely jacked front camber reading last weekend. They confirmed the car is 100% in spec with no adjustments needed. Like me, they suspect the machine used by the last shop was not calibrated correctly.

Below is the latest alignment specs. Note that front camber is now perfect left to right which has never been the case. Car is as perfectly aligned as can be yet it continues to pull right on perfectly flat roads and only drives straight on roads with left hand crown.

SD AutoTech again told me they are close to having a fix. They are developing an adjustable front lower control arm monoball kit similar to the one they sell for the E92, but adjustable to set caster.

Again - I see this as a band aide and feel BMW would get away with addressing this issue themselves. I need to think about what I will do next.

Name:  05-SDAutoTech.JPG
Views: 1093
Size:  71.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #95
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Week out, still no reply. There was a missed call from the BMW 800 number, but no message, that was Friday.

Come on NA, you promised me next steps within a week...week now and no reply! Booooooo!!!

Last edited by AustinTrkJunkie; 03-20-2017 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #96
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I hope it doesn't come to that, be patient, calm, and polite but keep pushing. Unfortunately calling and keeping on top of these guys is something that needs to be done these days.

I finally picked up my 17' ZCP this past weekend and WOW. I love it. I had it in the air a couple of days ago and there is alot going on underneath. Def. many race car parts under the car and lots of welds, both aluminum and steel.

Thankfully my car tracks perfectly straight.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #97
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Appt set for this coming Thursday.
Appreciate 1
MadZarBMR714.00
      03-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #98
gingerbread
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie
Appt set for this coming Thursday.
Has any software been updated / steering angle recalibrated after the all alignments. plenty of systems working together in these cars eps, dsc, e-diff, shocks, DCT, and so on. worth getting the software side looked at.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #99
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
Has any software been updated / steering angle recalibrated after the all alignments. plenty of systems working together in these cars eps, dsc, e-diff, shocks, DCT, and so on. worth getting the software side looked at.
I had steering angle/rack recalibrated and it didn't make a bit of difference. I have extensively tested in all EPS/DCS modes including with DCS completely off and nothing makes a difference. I have 6MT so no DCT to factor here.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #100
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
Sorry for the delay, yard work..

Not sure, but this time my SA says we're removing the +30, going to the stock camber bearing and trying to re-torque the thrust bearings.

We'll see, am getting a flush with SRF at the same time and got my tires/wheels mounted today. They are some sick pretty-ness, may have to lose the 666's and stick with these. I'll post pics shortly

Last edited by AustinTrkJunkie; 03-18-2017 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #101
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Apex look better I think...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #102
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Agree and love the meaty tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #103
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agree and love the meaty tire.
Heh, you think those look big, you should see the rears...305mm of NT01 goodness
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321131.50
      03-19-2017, 07:17 AM   #104
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Heh, you think those look big, you should see the rears...305mm of NT01 goodness

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #105
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

Now you just need to put a BMW center cap in those Apex for the perfect look

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #106
einscot
Banned
Rep
Drives: '17 f80 ZCP, '94 d90, '13 x5d

my car is in the shop currently at 1116 miles (now 1119 after their test drive) to fix the right pull issue. i was told "yeah, we've seen this a few times - it's a steering knuckle issue". after reading all these, i'm not sure i believe that all - but hopefully i'll find out in the next day or two when they get it back to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #107
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by einscot View Post
my car is in the shop currently at 1116 miles (now 1119 after their test drive) to fix the right pull issue. i was told "yeah, we've seen this a few times - it's a steering knuckle issue". after reading all these, i'm not sure i believe that all - but hopefully i'll find out in the next day or two when they get it back to me.
Like the others, get the alignment specs and make sure they don't F it up to "fix" this problem.
      03-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #108
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Definitely keep us all updated, almost wondering if it's time to start a "pull to the right" master thread like the pricing thread to keep track of all of us with the issue.

I know of at least 4 other threads - including the one where NA lemon'd/bought back the car - so consolidation might be a good thing for reporting purposes...what sayeth the forum?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #109
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie
Quote:
Definitely keep us all updated, almost wondering if it's time to start a "pull to the right" master thread like the pricing thread to keep track of all of us with the issue.

I know of at least 4 other threads - including the one where NA lemon'd/bought back the car - so consolidation might be a good thing for reporting purposes...what sayeth the forum?
Was thinking the same thing. You got my vote. I also suggest we include a poll to see how many have had this issue and if it was fixed to their satisfaction without a jacked alignment. Seems the more I drive mine after the last alignment, the more it pulls.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #110
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Was thinking the same thing. You got my vote. I also suggest we include a poll to see how many have had this issue and if it was fixed to their satisfaction without a jacked alignment. Seems the more I drive mine after the last alignment, the more it pulls.
I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping the Thrust Rod re-torque works when they put the OE camber bearing back and remove the +30. If we get a few more who think a dedicated thread is worthwhile, I'll start one!

Dropping it off Wednesday afternoon now, had a meeting come up early Thursday so getting in the day before instead.

Will update when I get it back.
Appreciate 0