BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-30-2017, 09:04 PM   #23
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I think the sound difference between the S55 M3/4 and N55 M2 is more the result of twin turbos vs single turbo arrangement than exhaust design.
Pretty dramatic difference in sound I would say. Wonder if anyone converted their F8X to a single big turbo setup and noticed a change

This video is pretty close to how stock M2 sounds. Having sat in one for 1k miles over 7 days I had plenty of time to hear the sound in all rpm ranges. To me, it was the consistent smooth sounding tone of the exhaust and the subtle burbles on downshifts that set it apart.

All that said, I hope this thgread doesn't turn into a M3/4 vs M2 argument. I was just sharing my experience with the M2.
I wrote that previous post in a bit of haste and it is not really complete and accurate. The exhaust design on the S55 is actually different than on the N55, but it does originate from the twin turbo configuration. On the N55, the exhaust pulses of all six cylinders are mixed right at the turbo and a single pipe exhaust routes the joint gases all the way to the tips. On the S55, two exhaust flows of three distinct cylinders are kept separate all the way to the tips with only a pressure balancing in the mid section H pipe (inside the mid resonator).

I do think the M2 sounds very good. I find it is a more rounded, refined and deep sound compared to the M3/4. To me, the M3/4 is more raw, high pitched and raspy, particularly at high RPM which makes it more race car like (track video of mine below with mic on the rear bumper).

I recently had the opportunity to track test the M2. A track buddy of mine let me drive his DCT M2 for a complete 30 minute session. I felt very at home in the M2. I found the M2 and M4 very similar in terms of feel and handling response, which is sort of expected since both cars share under-pinning and drivetrain components but with the M2 feeling a bit more nimble due to the shorter wheelbase. The main difference resides in the power delivery. The M4 explodes out of corners (much higher torque) and has a much stronger pull in the upper range (higher peak power). A driver needs to work harder to extract the performance out of the M4 because more throttle management is needed. On the M2, I could just floor it from the apex on pretty much every corner. With street tires, I can see why the M2 is able to match the M4's times around some tracks in magazine comparos: the M4 is grossly under-tired in stock form. Slap R-compounds on both the M2 and M4 (as all track rats do), and it is no contest, mostly due to the M4's significant power advantage.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 08-31-2017 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 7
DS_BMW1606.50
Daddeo30.50
JTO245276.00
DrtyJrze707.00
cotmfk2058.50
      08-31-2017, 12:49 PM   #24
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I wrote that previous post in a bit of haste and it is not really complete and accurate. The exhaust design on the S55 is actually different than on the N55, but it does originate from the twin turbo configuration. On the N55, the exhaust pulses of all six cylinders are mixed right at the turbo and a single pipe exhaust routes the joint gases all the way to the tips. On the S55, two exhaust flows of three distinct cylinders are kept separate all the way to the tips with only a pressure balancing in the mid section H pipe (inside the mid resonator).

I do think the M2 sounds very good. I find it is a more rounded, refined and deep sound compared to the M3/4. To me, the M3/4 is more raw, high pitched and raspy, particularly at high RPM which makes it more race car like (track video of mine below with mic on the rear bumper).

I recently had the opportunity to track test the M2. A track buddy of mine let me drive his DCT M2 for a complete 30 minute session. I felt very at home in the M2. I found the M2 and M4 very similar in terms of feel and handling response, which is sort of expected since both cars share under-pinning and drivetrain components but with the M2 feeling a bit more nimble due to the shorter wheelbase. The main difference resides in the power delivery. The M4 explodes out of corners (much higher torque) and has a much stronger pull in the upper range (higher peak power). A driver needs to work harder to extract the performance out of the M4 because more throttle management is needed. On the M2, I could just floor it from the apex on pretty much every corner. With street tires, I can see why the M2 is able to match the M4's times around some tracks in magazine comparos: the M4 is grossly under-tired in stock form. Slap R-compounds on both the M2 and M4 (as all track rats do), and it is no contest, mostly due to the M4's significant power advantage.

Great feedback. Thanks.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 05:42 PM   #25
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Thanks for posting CanAutM3 @///m/// It's great to get some feedback from an M2 that was street driven, and one that was track driven. I'm contemplating an M4 to M2 switch, and am curious about the comparo from people coming from an F80/82. My biggest concern is the lack of power in the M2, and the inability to tune the N55 relative to the S55. Seems like the M2 handles a little 'better', and is engineered to be easy to drive closer to the limit on the streets.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 06:56 PM   #26
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Thanks for posting CanAutM3 @///m/// It's great to get some feedback from an M2 that was street driven, and one that was track driven. I'm contemplating an M4 to M2 switch, and am curious about the comparo from people coming from an F80/82. My biggest concern is the lack of power in the M2, and the inability to tune the N55 relative to the S55. Seems like the M2 handles a little 'better', and is engineered to be easy to drive closer to the limit on the streets.
Rocket I've driven both on track as well and CanAut is spot on. I don't know if you track, but stepping down (and make no mistake that's what it is) to an M2 you will feel the power difference. It's huge. The M2 is more nimble, and you can drive it "harder", but that's mainly because it has less power.

In no way am I trying to bash the M2. If I see one in the streets I'll give the owner a thumbs up. But I'm curious to see how many people who made the switch from M4 to the M2 actually stick with the M2 long term.

For me the power was REALLY underwhelming.
      08-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #27
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post

This!! And the bells and whistles are much less and it has the cheap Dakota leather
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #28
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Rocket I've driven both on track as well and CanAut is spot on. I don't know if you track, but stepping down (and make no mistake that's what it is) to an M2 you will feel the power difference. It's huge. The M2 is more nimble, and you can drive it "harder", but that's mainly because it has less power.

In no way am I trying to bash the M2. If I see one in the streets I'll give the owner a thumbs up. But I'm curious to see how many people who made the switch from M4 to the M2 actually stick with the M2 long term.

I will likely never be tracking the current M3 or the M2 if I ever get it in the future. The questions then is, which is more fun to drive? In the very short time that I had with the M2, it felt like it would be a more fun car to drive. But I could be totally wrong because I never got the chance to go over 5k rpm.

Decision decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
This!! And the bells and whistles are much less and it has the cheap Dakota leather
The huge price difference is the bells and whistles you pay for in the M3 and for me personally what matters the most is the driving experience. So if one felt better in that aspect I would always go for that regardless of what kind of leather it comes with.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 05:52 AM   #29
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I will likely never be tracking the current M3 or the M2 if I ever get it in the future. The questions then is, which is more fun to drive? In the very short time that I had with the M2, it felt like it would be a more fun car to drive. But I could be totally wrong because I never got the chance to go over 5k rpm.

Decision decisions

Quote:
The huge price difference is the bells and whistles you pay for in the M3 and for me personally what matters the most is the driving experience. So if one felt better in that aspect I would always go for that regardless of what kind of leather it comes with.
I feel SO bad for you with your first world problems

The good thing is that when the M2 arrives you should have the opportunity to answer all of your questions. After break in you guys can go wild and do all sorts of comparisons.

Some people put more weight into their car purchasing decision on power. Some have concerns about cost, and others prefer smaller size, less tech, etc. There is no right or wrong decision, get whatever car makes YOU happy. It's really that simple.

I'm moving into year 4 on the F80 platform and have no regrets. I'm not a BMW fanboy, I would jump ship in a minute. But nothing else out there does it for me at the moment that meets my needs of:

- 4 doors
- Can legitimately fit average size adults in the backseat
- Can be tracked a few times a year.

I've literally done everything in this car: week long FAMILY beach trip, ski, grocery shop, camp, track, 5+ hours road trips, broadway in NYC, etc.

The versatility of the M3 is freaking awesome.
      09-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #30
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Decision decisions

Quote:
I feel SO bad for you with your first world problems

The good thing is that when the M2 arrives you should have the opportunity to answer all of your questions. After break in you guys can go wild and do all sorts of comparisons.

Some people put more weight into their car purchasing decision on power. Some have concerns about cost, and others prefer smaller size, less tech, etc. There is no right or wrong decision, get whatever car makes YOU happy. It's really that simple.

I'm moving into year 4 on the F80 platform and have no regrets. I'm not a BMW fanboy, I would jump ship in a minute. But nothing else out there does it for me at the moment that meets my needs of:

- 4 doors
- Can legitimately fit average size adults in the backseat
- Can be tracked a few times a year.

I've literally done everything in this car: week long FAMILY beach trip, ski, grocery shop, camp, track, 5+ hours road trips, broadway in NYC, etc.

The versatility of the M3 is freaking awesome.
You've taken the F80 skiing? You da man. Wifey and I have an F30 340 xDrive M sport for that. We weren't sure that taking the M4 up to Vermont would be the best idea.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #31
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
You've taken the F80 skiing? You da man. Wifey and I have an F30 340 xDrive M sport for that. We weren't sure that taking the M4 up to Vermont would be the best idea.
I would never take my M up to ski in Vt. No snow tires, I would die, lmao.

I meant to the Poconos after the roads were clear. Was more so talking about the versatility of being able to pack up my gear and go.
      09-01-2017, 07:10 AM   #32
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Wifey and I have an F30 340 xDrive M
with MPPSK? Interested in power delivery and sound with the kit
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #33
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

The more time the M2 is out, the more obvious it is that BMW did an absolutely fantastic job generating the hype machine. People genuinely thought the M2 would be better than the M4 in terms of performance!

People always seem to have a positive view of the M2 initially - I think that does say something. Maybe M2 size is the sweet spot for a performance car and M4 is getting too big.

Other than that, though - when people start spending some time performance driving the M2, they are let down compared to F8x - especially if they ever track the cars. M2 brakes can only last a little bit then you need to sit the car so they can cool down, etc.

I am still watching the M2 CS developments. Maybe they will have better cooling for the brakes in addition to putting the S55 in there? Also addressing some of the weight on the M2 would be nice - CF roof maybe?
      09-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #34
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would never take my M up to ski in Vt. No snow tires, I would die, lmao.

I meant to the Poconos after the roads were clear. Was more so talking about the versatility of being able to pack up my gear and go.
Aha. Ya. An M car up north in winter without snow tires = bad times.

Definitely love the versatility of our cars also. I'm a coupe guy and the car still has many uses. I can probably fit 5 sets of golf clubs in the back with the seats folded down.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #35
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Quote:
Wifey and I have an F30 340 xDrive M
with MPPSK? Interested in power delivery and sound with the kit
No. I wish. Probably should have gotten it.

340 is a very good car and great for a DD. Perfect for my wife. I must say though I much prefer the rawness of an ///M car. The 340 is very isolated inside. Dare I say Lexusish
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #36
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
The more time the M2 is out, the more obvious it is that BMW did an absolutely fantastic job generating the hype machine. People genuinely thought the M2 would be better than the M4 in terms of performance!

People always seem to have a positive view of the M2 initially - I think that does say something. Maybe M2 size is the sweet spot for a performance car and M4 is getting too big.

Other than that, though - when people start spending some time performance driving the M2, they are let down compared to F8x - especially if they ever track the cars. M2 brakes can only last a little bit then you need to sit the car so they can cool down, etc.

I am still watching the M2 CS developments. Maybe they will have better cooling for the brakes in addition to putting the S55 in there? Also addressing some of the weight on the M2 would be nice - CF roof maybe?
I didn't think it is better in terms of performance. The comparison here is really about which car is more enjoyable and usable on the street since 95% of us don't track cars and even if we did, I would say 99% is street usage unless you have it as a dedicated track car.

The same goes for people on here who go on and on about weight. Few lbs here and there doesn't make any real world difference in normal everyday driving. So I really don't understand the obsession with removing 40-50 lbs when it really doesn't make any noticeable difference in everyday driving.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #37
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I didn't think it is better in terms of performance. The comparison here is really about which car is more enjoyable and usable on the street since 95% of us don't track cars and even if we did, I would say 99% is street usage unless you have it as a dedicated track car.

The same goes for people on here who go on and on about weight. Few lbs here and there doesn't make any real world difference in normal everyday driving. So I really don't understand the obsession with removing 40-50 lbs when it really doesn't make any noticeable difference in everyday driving.
We come from different worlds, my friend.

But variety is the spice of life!
      09-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #38
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

For a street car, I dont see how anyone could prefer an m2, perhaps some prefer a more tossable car but the weight difference is so little its negligable.
      09-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #39
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
The 340 is very isolated inside. Dare I say Lexusish
Yep, the 435xi was an unfettered highway monster effortlessly cruising at 100 mph just under 3k rpm. The chassis and suspension-on-stilts sucked ass though.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #40
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post

That's almost always the case. Marketing and hype is where it's at and what drives prices higher than what something is worth.

With my F80 have have learned to wait until it is in the hands of the general public a few years before making a big performance purchase again.

The M has its strong points, but from a pure performance perspective ( which goes into traction, stability control system, suspension tuning, and vibrating brake rotors) I have been disappointed in the M for what I paid for it.

Any performance cars needs to be in the hands of the general public and honest reviews online about pro/con and not fanboy reviews need to take place.

I'm thinking GT350 next round as it's been out and proven from a performance standpoint now.

Performance cars are getting expensive these days and unless you have a limitless checkbook making the wrong decision is very costly and means you're usually stuck for awhile.

For me , having something proven is better than having the latest and greatest now.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #41
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Does the M2 not have the M1/M2 buttons on the steering wheel to save your settings??! I just saw an ad for a 2017 M2 posted and noticed this... So not only is it missing a lot of the bells and whistles, but without this I feel it's not really an M car. Seems like a M240i on steroids

LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #42
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Does the M2 not have the M1/M2 buttons on the steering wheel to save your settings??! I just saw an ad for a 2017 M2 posted and noticed this... So not only is it missing a lot of the bells and whistles, but without this I feel it's not really an M car. Seems like a M240i on steroids

image upload
No frills M2.

The only settings available are for throttle response, steering heft, and traction modes (the suspension is fixed). They can be changed via a toggle switch and a traction button that allows MDM and DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #43
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
On the M2, the different settings for engine, steering and DCT cannot be individually selected like on the M3/4, hence there is no need for M1 and M2 buttons. The settings all change simulatenously through the "drive select" modes.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #44
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Hahaha. Oh boy. Don't let the M2 owners read that one. Shit storm on its way
Appreciate 0