proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-24-2022, 05:59 AM   #1
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

All the gear, no idea

Hi

I pick up my M3 on Thursday. After the test drive there was still a lot of questions I have about the functions.

I'm coming from a F32 335d where things were simple, eco mode, sports mode sports +

Noticed the M3 has loads of functions.

I have had a brief look about but please let me know If i'm missunderstanding anything.

The M1 and 2 buttons on the steering wheels, these are essentially your tailored settings right? And you tailor those using the buttons next to the shifter.

I presume sports + is the same on the m as the 335, disables traction control?

And the button under the gearstick changes how long the car stays in gear? So three bars would be the longest?

Let me know if you have any links to videos of cabin walk rounds so i can sort my life out please.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 06:16 AM   #2
NovaChris
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamshock nick View Post
Hi

I pick up my M3 on Thursday. After the test drive there was still a lot of questions I have about the functions.

I'm coming from a F32 335d where things were simple, eco mode, sports mode sports +

I have had a brief look about but please let me know If i'm missunderstanding anything.

The M1 and 2 buttons on the steering wheels, these are essentially your tailored settings right? And you tailor those using the buttons next to the shifter.

And the button under the gearstick changes how long the car stays in gear? So three bars would be the longest?

Let me know if you have any links to videos of cabin walk rounds so i can sort my life out please.
Sport + doesn't change the tc settings.

As for the buttons under the shifter, pretty much and it changes how hard it shifts. When it's maxed out you can do really loud first gear to second gear tire chirps( and third and fourth great.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 06:25 AM   #3
kwatkins12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 15 M4

Quote:
Hi

Quote:
Hi

Congrats on the new car!

The M1/2 buttons are your personal settings, you adjust these via iDrive. Personally I like to have it set as M1 my normal everyday settings and then M2 as my stiffer backroad driving settings. Sport + does not disable traction but you can program M1/2 to adjust traction control.

Can't comment on the transmission settings as I have a manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 07:03 AM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

If you have a look in iDrive, you will find the owner's manual in there. Alternatively, download it from here https://ownersmanuals2.com/bmw-auto/...s-manual-76580

It's all nicely explained.
      01-24-2022, 11:00 AM   #5
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Hi

There are four major settings:

Engine - Efficient is like dull throttle response exhaust valves closed, sport is exhaust valves open and a more sensitive throttle response, sport+ is turbos are spooled up, cooling system is kicked into over drive (you will see a dip in temperature, throttle response is THE most sensitive where you need to be smooth or else you will end up like a noob driving a manually transmission and being all herky jerky).

Suspension - Comfort (softest and floaty, body roll is significant IMO ), Sport (medium, not a floaty, aggressive turns won't have too much body roll), Sport+ (really really stiff). IMO, huge change between Sport and Sport+. Non-adaptive suspension is between Sport and Sport+ for reference.

Steering - Comfort (Least amount of effort), Sport (More effort), Sport+ (unnecessarily heavy).

Transmission - 1st Bar (Efficiently driving, car wants to shift up as fast as it can, very good for smooth freeway driving, very smooth), 2nd Bar (Car holds the gears longer but will still try to upshift to the highest gear possible, still smooth but you can feel a bit more aggressiveness in the shift), 3rd Bar (Car will hold gears much much longer, even on freeway speeds you will notice it will stay in 6th much longer and will only sometimes touch 7th gear if you are coasting long enough, very aggressive shifting, very fun, best way to enjoy the DCT).

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:08 PM   #6
FJ_OPA80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
If you have a look in iDrive, you will find the owner's manual in there. Alternatively, download it from here https://ownersmanuals2.com/bmw-auto/...s-manual-76580

It's all nicely explained.
+1 for this

OP - with an M there is no eco, comfort, sport, sport+ across the board - suspension, steering and drivetrain can freely move between the 3 settings.

M1 and M2 are your tailored presets. Note the car starts in efficient sport sport and this cannot be changed - so many have m1 set as their default daily settings.

Under displays in iDrive you can set the display under the rev counter to show the 3 settings too instead of the mpg setting which you're likely not interested in!

Enjoy the new car
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 04:22 AM   #7
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys, really helpful.

I presume if you want to go mental you would set one of the M buttons to sports + all and top gear changes?
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      01-25-2022, 04:23 AM   #8
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ_OPA80 View Post
+1 for this

Note the car starts in efficient sport sport
As in first is in efficient, 2nd two are in sports?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 05:29 AM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
You are essentially correct. The main difference between most recent ///M cars and the base-series cars is that all the drive settings can be individually adjusted in any combination you want (962 different possible combinations) and then your favorite combinations can be stored in the M1 and M2 buttons. There are 2 different ways to store the settings in the M buttons, either press and hold the button for a few seconds to memorize the current settings or go in iDrive to configure each button. Depending on the options on your car, these are the possible adjustments:
  • Engine Response: Efficient / Sport / Sport+
  • Dampers: Comfort / Sport / Sport+
  • Steering: Comfort / Sport / Sport+
  • DSC: On / MDM / Off
  • DCT: D1 / D2 / D3 / S1 / S2 / S3
  • HUD: Normal / M-view

I’ve highlighted in bold the default settings that sadly cannot be changed. The car reverts to these defaults on start up or when an M-mode is deactivated.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-25-2022 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 06:00 AM   #10
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

You can set M1 or M2 to be in MDM mode but you have to hit the button a second time to confirm it.
      01-25-2022, 06:25 AM   #11
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
You can set M1 or M2 to be in MDM mode but you have to hit the button a second time to confirm it.
Correct, when either MDM or DSC Off is configured in an M button, a second confirmation press is required to activate.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0