Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

M buttons keep resetting

Hey folks,
Yes I've searched.

Over the last few weeks, my 2015 M4 stopped "remembering" the M-settings. In other words, if I reset them and calibrate them as I wish...the settings remain active until the car is shut off. When I restart the car (after the DME shuts down), I am back to the default settings (M1-Sport/Comfort DSC on, M2 Sport plus/sport plus MDM S3)

Backgorund info
I Added the IND red buttons (M1, M2) and damaged a couple of the connectors when I removed the steering will switch set. I assumed the problem was from this and just yesterday, replaced with sets with brand new BMW OEM parts. Problem is still there. Also, the car was reprogrammed at the dealer after a minor collision (they updated software so as to replace headlights and PD sensor since the BM3 flash seemed to give them trouble)....I have since reflashed the custom tune

I have checked to make sure the PROFILE is correct (based on other suggestions I found online)

Other than BM3, I have done no coding of specific ECUs. Bad head unit? Just seems temporally related to the button change intially

Any suggestions, other than a dealer visit??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 03:51 AM   #2
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I had this exact problem just last week. My car is 18 f80. I reflashed ecu and it worked again.

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 1
blockdoc373.00
      10-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Doh!!!! Than you so much. That fixed it. How did I not think of that!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
Doh!!!! Than you so much. That fixed it. How did I not think of that!
Glad it worked out for you!

Appreciate 1
blockdoc373.00
      05-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #5
Nadeemp8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Hey guys, pinging this as I'm having the exact same issue and have BM3 on my F80. I've tried changing maps, flashing back to stock, but M settings still get reset when car shuts down. When you say reflash the ECU, what exactly do you mean?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:26 AM   #6
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemp8 View Post
Hey guys, pinging this as I'm having the exact same issue and have BM3 on my F80. I've tried changing maps, flashing back to stock, but M settings still get reset when car shuts down. When you say reflash the ECU, what exactly do you mean?
Are you using a charger while flashing?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:31 AM   #7
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemp8 View Post
I meant reflashing the map. You've already done it so I have no idea how to fix it. However aside from charging up the battery (either with a charger or drive for 30+ mins) and reflashing again, there are a couple of things you can try: 1. backing up the settings in idrive to an usb drive and reset to factory settings 2. Unhook the battery in the trunk for 5-10 mins and reconnect

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #8
Nadeemp8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

figured it out. I have a wifi agent I use with my BM3 tune. the wifi agent is hardwired into my cigarette lighter under the passenger dash, so never goes to sleep or turns off. as a result this prevents the car from somehow saving my settings when its turned off. when I unplugged the device from the obd port everything saved as normal. next step is wiring in a switch to turn the power to the wifi agent on and off!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 12:16 AM   #9
RodF82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I've been experiencing the same issue with my car.

My M settings do not save. After I crank the car it defaults to what I think are factory settings. I tried unhooking the battery for 15 mins, flashing to stock tune. Nothing. I even reached out to the tuning company and we did a reflash of the entire car. I changed key fobs and also updated my I drive to the latest version.

Along with the M settings not saving, my oil service comes up and doesn't go away. I did everything stated above and reset it on the dash but it keeps coming up. I needed an oil change before the tune which I got a few days later at the BMW dealership where they reset it and it came back. They did me a favor by not flagging my car to void the warranty s/o to them.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #10
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Any resolution to this? I am thinking my key fob battery may be dying so I am going to try replacing it to see if it works.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #11
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

I'm not sue if this covers the issue but...

F.Y.I.: If you run "BM3", every time you re-Configure a map and/or Flash a new one, your M1/M2 will be reset
sometimes (?), along with your iDrive Amp. - equalizer settings.

This is normal SOP.

Cheers!

07-08-2021, 01:18 AM   #12
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post
I'm not sue if this covers the issue but...

F.Y.I.: If you run "BM3", every time you re-Configure a map and/or Flash a new one, your M1/M2 will be reset
sometimes (?), along with your iDrive Amp. - equalizer settings.

This is normal SOP.

Cheers!

In the process of diagnosing the issue, but I am certain that it has something to do with my Zeitronix ECA-2 wiring for my flex fuel setup.

My memory for M1/M2 buttons worked fine without the Zeitronix unit powered on, which is why I think it's an issue with the wiring or unit itself
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #13
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
In the process of diagnosing the issue, but I am certain that it has something to do with my Zeitronix ECA-2 wiring for my flex fuel setup.

My memory for M1/M2 buttons worked fine without the Zeitronix unit powered on, which is why I think it's an issue with the wiring or unit itself
Maybe, yes. I don't know. I don't have a flex-fuel set up but, nonetheless If you flash a new map, your M1/M2 buttons will be reset.

07-20-2021, 12:42 AM   #14
RodF82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Any resolution to this? I am thinking my key fob battery may be dying so I am going to try replacing it to see if it works.
I still haven't corrected the issues. I've come to live with it now
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 01:13 AM   #15
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodF82 View Post
Quote:
I still haven't corrected the issues. I've come to live with it now
I figured out the issue. My flex fuel kit was wired improperly causing a bit of havoc after flashing. Once that was fixed, things worked fine.

Now I'm onto chasing other things that are wrong with the tuning side related to rough idle lol

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 04:53 AM   #16
Eldaes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F80 M3

Mine is also hit or miss. Sometimes the M settings are fine, other times it resets. Currently have the Re|Flex installed. I noticed that when flashing the ECU when the re|flex is disconnected (just the box, the wiring is still there) it tends to hold the M settings. Not 100%, but more often than not. This leads me to think it might have something to do with tapping into the canbus.
      12-13-2021, 09:49 PM   #17
RodF82
Private
Rep

Removed my flex fuel kit and they started working properly. S/o to European Auto Source
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #18
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodF82 View Post
Removed my flex fuel kit and they started working properly. S/o to European Auto Source
Your kit was wired improperly. I think the BM3 solution is the way to go if you are doing flex fuel these days.

Appreciate 0