Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
R8tedR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F83 BMW M4

VRSF Downpipe + ??

Hey Guys,

I recently installed VRSF downpipes + VRSF cold air intakes. The sound is a bit raspy for my taste and I am looking to deepen/louden the sound of the exhaust. Currently, everything else is stock on my car besides a BM3 Stage 1 tune.

What would be the best addition to this setup? I want to keep the stock rear mufflers because of the valve control ability. Aftermarket mufflers with valve controls are just way too expensive for me to justify the cost.

I was leaning towards just removing the secondary cats but with both the primary and secondary cats removed, the sound will sound rasp from what I've been reading. In addition, the smell with the convertible top down may be unbearable. Should I go for a resonator delete? Would Meisterschaft SGT X Pipe go well with my current set up?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8tedR View Post
Hey Guys,

I recently installed VRSF downpipes + VRSF cold air intakes. The sound is a bit raspy for my taste and I am looking to deepen/louden the sound of the exhaust. Currently, everything else is stock on my car besides a BM3 Stage 1 tune.

What would be the best addition to this setup? I want to keep the stock rear mufflers because of the valve control ability. Aftermarket mufflers with valve controls are just way too expensive for me to justify the cost.

I was leaning towards just removing the secondary cats but with both the primary and secondary cats removed, the sound will sound rasp from what I've been reading. In addition, the smell with the convertible top down may be unbearable. Should I go for a resonator delete? Would Meisterschaft SGT X Pipe go well with my current set up?
Aa midpipe
      05-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #3
R8tedR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F83 BMW M4

That would lead to the unpleasant smell right? Since with the AA pipe the primary and secondary cats would get deleted?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
MakeMuricaGreater
Second Account Already
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82M4 E92M3 E71X6M 992TurboS

You can always get a resonated midsection, which certainly should help with the ricer raspiness these things produce. As for the smell, you're kind of stuck unless you keep the secondary cats in place.

I'm running catless DP's, secondary cat delete, and a custom built X pipe'd midsection with small resonators in place. I too am running my factory axleback/muffler section as I can't justify the prices either...

Eventually, I may just have my fabricator work something out of the factory muffler since we largely barter for work with each other.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 10:02 PM   #5
Beach3um
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4 infiniti m37 Rx7 fd3s

It wont smell bad.only at long idle will you notice it barely
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #6
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

have you fixed the sound? I'm also looking at VRSF DP for stock ZCP but i'm worried about raspy sound and/or drone.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 12:58 AM   #7
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post
have you fixed the sound? I'm also looking at VRSF DP for stock ZCP but i'm worried about raspy sound and/or drone.
Resonated downpipes is the answer for rasp.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Resonated downpipes is the answer for rasp.
resonated or catted

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 12:40 PM   #9
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

OK, so what is the solution for DP in order to get more power? I'm not really sure if i want AA EL midpipe. I've heard a lof of good stuff about VRSF but i'm concered about sound. I hate drone and raspy sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 07:04 PM   #10
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post
OK, so what is the solution for DP in order to get more power? I'm not really sure if i want AA EL midpipe. I've heard a lof of good stuff about VRSF but i'm concered about sound. I hate drone and raspy sound.
Well downpipes do help create rasp so you can either remove the downpipes and just go with a single midpipe. This will make it much deeper or you can add the single mid to your current setup which will help create a deeper sound and remove a little rasp but it will be a little louder overall.

Luckily there are many videos with this setup on YouTube for you to make an educated decision.
Appreciate 1
Jim45678165.00