EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

11-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

Show me your SMB + Tint pics

Hi All.

I recently picked up a San Marino Blue F80 with Amaro Brown interior.

I'm clearly in the minority since I do not like the look of tinted glass. But...I've noticed that I would prefer some privacy (heat protection too as I'm in California) as glass is quite clear and have noticed people looking inside the car. Especially, the contrast of SMB and Amaro pops quite a bit (in addition to SMB color itself).

Would be great if SMB owners can share pics and specs (brand, %) of their tinted glass and their thoughts on how it complements the color of the car.

Thanks.

Ps/I have searched but most pics are from new owners showing their cars as they came from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Bump. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
JTK24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

you are right, pictures of SMB that are not brand new/at the dealership are strangely hard to find. was able to find these two threads with tints:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&highlight=smb
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&highlight=smb
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK24 View Post
you are right, pictures of SMB that are not brand new/at the dealership are strangely hard to find. was able to find these two threads with tints:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;highlight=smb
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;highlight=smb
Thank you, this is quite helpful!

I'm torn because I seem to not like the contrast of tinted glass and the paint. Maybe some minimal tinting?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Did you ever add tint? If so how about some pics.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 01:27 AM   #6
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
Hi All.

I recently picked up a San Marino Blue F80 with Amaro Brown interior.

I'm clearly in the minority since I do not like the look of tinted glass. But...I've noticed that I would prefer some privacy (heat protection too as I'm in California) as glass is quite clear and have noticed people looking inside the car. Especially, the contrast of SMB and Amaro pops quite a bit (in addition to SMB color itself).

Would be great if SMB owners can share pics and specs (brand, %) of their tinted glass and their thoughts on how it complements the color of the car.

Thanks.

Ps/I have searched but most pics are from new owners showing their cars as they came from the factory.
I have several friends that feel the same way about tint and apply film to reject heat, protect the interior & skin, etc.

Llumar Formula One Stratos (I think their clear or very light options are referred to as "air")

I have Stratos on all of my cars but the F80. I switched to XPEL XR PLUS and am pleased. I think 70% is their most transparent offering in the XR PLUS line.

You can't go wrong w/either and 70%+ would probably check all of your boxes.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 10:46 PM   #7
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Did you ever add tint? If so how about some pics.
I never did! I guess it never became a priority but always at peak of summer days wish I did. Mostly because of heat. I guess I've gotten used to people looking inside, there isn't anything interesting to find.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagR2611 View Post
I have several friends that feel the same way about tint and apply film to reject heat, protect the interior & skin, etc.

Llumar Formula One Stratos (I think their clear or very light options are referred to as "air")

I have Stratos on all of my cars but the F80. I switched to XPEL XR PLUS and am pleased. I think 70% is their most transparent offering in the XR PLUS line.

Yes, Llumar AIR 80 is the very light option. It's not under the "Formula One" brand.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:24 PM   #9
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:

Yes, Llumar AIR 80 is the very light option. It's not under the "Formula One" brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:

Appreciate the correction / information. I was considering it for my windshield but opted to go a bit darker.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0