GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
SpeedlabTx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Horsepower Limit?

What are the limits of a stock S55B30T0 Inline-6 engine. What are the weak links that causes motor to fail at high horsepower? Anyone have personal experiences?

Last edited by SpeedlabTx; 06-05-2018 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Adding more to the question.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Them turbos smashing into a thousand pieces.... J/k Engine can push 550-600k without a major issue. With BM3 im making over 500 at the flywheel

Remember torque drops the panties and horsepower wins races....... Good luck op
      06-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
SpeedlabTx
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
Them turbos smashing into a thousand pieces.... J/k Engine can push 550-600k without a major issue. With BM3 im making over 500 at the flywheel

Remember torque drops the panties and horsepower wins races....... Good luck op
Gotcha, so looking from the outside in anthing more than 650hp+ might consider building motor?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedlabTx View Post
Gotcha, so looking from the outside in anthing more than 650hp+ might consider building motor?
Not sure someone else will need to chime in. For me 500hp in this car is more than enough i cant ever see myself trying to push for those kind of numbers. I don't see where you would even remotely get traction from that kind of power in this platform.
      06-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #5
MEXICO NEW YORK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3 Azurite Black

I feel safe currently running 700bhp/600whp with 570wtq. I am considering ps2 and/or meth for more like 800bhp. I trust my tuner if he likes the longevity I’m into it, but I feel confident saying these engines can handle way more power than 500/600whp
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
Deteria
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Until you spin the crank hub lol
2015 Black Sapphire F82 M4: Bootmod3 Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT TCU DIFF Flash / Remus Catback / VRSF Charge & J Pipe / MST Intakes / Mishimoto TMIC / RK Autowerks Crank Hub / Apex VS-5RS 19x9.5 ET22 19x10.5 ET45 / Powerflex Bushings / MSS HAS / Evolve x Bilstein B6 Damptronic / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Hotchkis Sways
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #7
M3pedals
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Crank hub will likely be the first thing to go, but thats not a big fix in the grand scheme of things. How much power you'll be able to safely make largely depends on backpressure the car is seeing. If you're running full tilt with the tiny stock manifold, the exhaust side is going to see some pretty crazy numbers with regards to pressure and heat simply because it can't get the air out quick enough.
Excess heat and pressure = Not a fun time.
I think these engines will be capable of more once somebody comes out with a lower back pressure manifold.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
prodigymb
Captain
Rep
Drives: V10+ R8, 997TT, Plaid, G550

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3pedals View Post
I think these engines will be capable of more once somebody comes out with a lower back pressure manifold.
lol wtf is a lower backpressure manifold
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #9
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymb View Post
lol wtf is a lower backpressure manifold
Replacing the tiny, restrictive, BS factory exhaust manifolds with high flowing aftermarket ones. All the "upgraded turbo options" (and HP) on these motors are limited by THEM at this point. When factory internaled S55's can put down over 700RWTorque* many times without blowing then you KNOW with larger manifolds pushing the power curve right these could be reliable 900WHP motors on stock enternals...

I'm shocked a vendor/shop hasn't release a set yet for these motors already* This platform would go immediately to another level as soon as that occurs (8-sec cars left and right )
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
SpeedlabTx
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR View Post
Replacing the tiny, restrictive, BS factory exhaust manifolds with high flowing aftermarket ones. All the "upgraded turbo options" (and HP) on these motors are limited by THEM at this point. When factory internaled S55's can put down over 700RWTorque* many times without blowing then you KNOW with larger manifolds pushing the power curve right these could be reliable 900WHP motors on stock enternals...

I'm shocked a vendor/shop hasn't release a set yet for these motors already* This platform would go immediately to another level as soon as that occurs (8-sec cars left and right )
To your question about vendors/shops, you think it's because there hasn't been any interest or just the lack of not going that far with this platform? I'm just curious to see what others are thinking since that possibility might be coming to light faster than what you think.
Appreciate 1
BGxNYC53.00
      06-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #11
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
To your question about vendors/shops, you think it's because there hasn't been any interest or just the lack of not going that far with this platform? I'm just curious to see what others are thinking since that possibility might be coming to light faster than what you think.
You posed a very good question Speedlab. There are several answers to it.

Firstly, as with with many high dollar new European cars, most of the yuppies whom buy them new are much more concerned with retaining the factory warranty than breaking RWHP records on the stock bottom end frankly lol. Hence, vendor don't have enough willing customers to recoup the R & D in their offerings. Many didn't see the cost to benefit ratio to really ripping into these engines heavily for those first two years or so.

Secondly, until the BM3 bootmod full DME control and now easy flash tuning came to fruition we were in the dark ages of how to properly tune supplemental fuel systems, tune on E85 and other fuels, change timing and Vanos curves to larger boost/turbos, dictate the DCT's clamping pressures and tuning itself, etc, etc... BM3 really opened the gateway to hardware improvements like what we're talking about in the future. And it's really only been about a year or so BM3 has been mainstream and less then that with direct OBII port flashing. Not a long time ago...

Third, crank hub issue solution was another recent innovation which removed the fear and restriction of going balls to the wall with this platform. Before then many had the "why risk it $$$ attitude"

...we're FINALLY in the "golden era" of the platform where all the biggest barriers to tuning, power or reliability are out of the way. Developing, testing and tuning aftermarkers highflo exhaust manifolds with larger-frame turbos are child's play now (relatively to all that has already been addressed and made for these motors at this point) ...I do believe several shops/vendors are working on this as we speak (in fact, I KNOW they are ) It's a race to get the first functional system out there because they KNOW the first one whom does is breaking 1000HP and running 8-sec 1/4's with ease... I'm just frustrated the delays made it take till now before this is finally BEGINNING to happen.

God bless the S55 platform and our community.. things should be getting even more interesting and exciting in the near future
Appreciate 5
      06-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #12
MEXICO NEW YORK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3 Azurite Black

Quote:
Third, crank hub issue solution was another recent innovation which removed the fear and restriction of going balls to the wall with this platform. Before then many had the "why risk it $$$ attitude"
What solution and recent innovation? What are you referencing??
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #13
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Are you asking about the new Exhaust manifolds? Or crank hub fix that have already been discussed a 100 times with several threads on the topic you can research already with the shops that make them. Regarding aftermarket exhaust manifolds I cannot comment on who's working on them/etc, (I'd be blackballed for life lol) the vendor(s)/shop(s) working on them will release it when THEY are ready brotha..

Last edited by BMW M4 PWR; 06-08-2018 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #14
prodigymb
Captain
Rep
Drives: V10+ R8, 997TT, Plaid, G550

Quote:

the manifolds don't create back pressure , the turbo charger exhaust wheel does since its in the way of the exhaust flow. the exhaust wheel is tiny. with that said these things are being pushed to 600whp which is a lot for these tiny peeshooters on a 3.0L engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #15
TTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3 f80, X3M, Huracan perf, 1m

570 on stock turbos, up to 800 on hybrid (with clutch upgrade)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #16
TTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3 f80, X3M, Huracan perf, 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEXICO NEW YORK View Post
I feel safe currently running 700bhp/600whp with 570wtq. I am considering ps2 and/or meth for more like 800bhp. I trust my tuner if he likes the longevity I’m into it, but I feel confident saying these engines can handle way more power than 500/600whp
I have the same config with PureTurbos as well, also thinking to put meth+make more boost
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #17
SpeedlabTx
Registered
Rep

Quote:
You posed a very good question Speedlab. There are several answers to it.

Firstly, as with with many high dollar new European cars, most of the yuppies whom buy them new are much more concerned with retaining the factory warranty than breaking RWHP records on the stock bottom end frankly lol. Hence, vendor don't have enough willing customers to recoup the R & D in their offerings. Many didn't see the cost to benefit ratio to really ripping into these engines heavily for those first two years or so.

Secondly, until the BM3 bootmod full DME control and now easy flash tuning came to fruition we were in the dark ages of how to properly tune supplemental fuel systems, tune on E85 and other fuels, change timing and Vanos curves to larger boost/turbos, dictate the DCT's clamping pressures and tuning itself, etc, etc... BM3 really opened the gateway to hardware improvements like what we're talking about in the future. And it's really only been about a year or so BM3 has been mainstream and less then that with direct OBII port flashing. Not a long time ago...

...we're FINALLY in the "golden era" of the platform where all the biggest barriers to tuning, power or reliability are out of the way. Developing, testing and tuning aftermarkers highflo exhaust manifolds with larger-frame turbos are child's play now (relatively to all that has already been addressed and made for these motors at this point) ...I do believe several shops/vendors are working on this as we speak (in fact, I KNOW they are ) It's a race to get the first functional system out there because they KNOW the first one whom does is breaking 1000HP and running 8-sec 1/4's with ease... I'm just frustrated the delays made it take till now before this is finally BEGINNING to happen.

God bless the S55 platform and our community.. things should be getting even more interesting and exciting in the near future
Awesome and thanks for the response brotha. Now for me to get to work.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #18
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Awesome and thanks for the response brotha. Now for me to get to work.
Please do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymb View Post
the manifolds don't create back pressure , the turbo charger exhaust wheel does since its in the way of the exhaust flow. the exhaust wheel is tiny. with that said these things are being pushed to 600whp which is a lot for these tiny peeshooters on a 3.0L engine.
How do you think you change that brother? lol ...they go hand in hand* You need custom/aftermarket exhaust manifolds to bolt larger turbines/turbos ONTO. And actually manifold design is still important as excessive back pressure prior to the turbine but in the manifold itself can cause many different problems from excessive heat temps in the exhaust of the motor. The design is quite important too, not just that a larger turbo can be bolted to it. These however are elementary concepts to those "in the know," it's just a matter of the shops getting them tested and out to the market! Once one does the rest will come like an avalanche, it always happens that way...

Last edited by BMW M4 PWR; 06-08-2018 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #19
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

lets say there are nicely designed manifolds, S55 stock internals will take 900bhp++?
i think bad things will happen
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #20
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender150 View Post
lets say there are nicely designed manifolds, S55 stock internals will take 900bhp++?
i think bad things will happen
Not necessarily, they've already proven to take 700+rw TORQUE at low rpm without bending rods right? You DO realize 900bhp is less stress than that if you simply push and maintaining the torque curve more right on the graph... (do you even know what I'm referring to btw? No pun intended) ...these will do more than 800WHP easily with larger frame turbines on stock internals... modern day 2JZ
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #21
JayZap16
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, Merc GLE 63s, F90 M5

Quote:
Not necessarily, they've already proven to take 700+rw TORQUE at low rpm without bending rods right? You DO realize 900bhp is less stress than that if you simply push and maintaining the torque curve more right on the graph... (do you even know what I'm referring to btw? No pun intended) ...these will do more than 800WHP easily with larger frame turbines on stock internals... modern day 2JZ
Did you just say that the S55 is a modern day 2JZ
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #22
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I understand what you're saying, Tq and Hp as you know are interconnected,
while i like the S55, this is no 2JZ lol
Appreciate 0