proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

07-19-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
Carnut12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Heritage Edition LSB

Anyone buy Automotive Passion BMW M3 M4 F80 F82 F83 Carbon Arch Guards Mud Flaps???

I am aware of the mud flaps made by a member, I’m curious if anyone has bought these for the front instead? There are tons of comments on the other ones I haven’t read or found any on these.

Also I just got my car, is the back as important as the front? I don’t have spacers and I will have expel to protect it.

Thanks so much everyone!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
Groganrocket
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4

Link?
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2020, 11:03 PM   #3
Carnut12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groganrocket View Post
Link?
Good point, see below-

https://performancespeedshop.com/pro...ards-mud-flaps
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
Pankick
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Looks clean and easy to install. Ima ordering one now.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #5
Carnut12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankick View Post
Looks clean and easy to install. Ima ordering one now.
I ordered them too, going to see what they look like, should help with kicking stuff up on the car for sure.
Appreciate 1
TRYM3279.00
      07-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
originalC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Ultimate Package

Ordered as well
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

are you guys doing the front and back or just the front? my car is black and i have typically avoided doing CF on black but i do like the idea. curious if the rears mount as easy as the front. I looked at tommy's videos and didnt look like the back would have great ways of mounting.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #8
Pankick
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptz View Post
are you guys doing the front and back or just the front? my car is black and i have typically avoided doing CF on black but i do like the idea. curious if the rears mount as easy as the front. I looked at tommy's videos and didnt look like the back would have great ways of mounting.
I'll just do the front to mitigate chips on rocker panel and rear quarter panel. Having a pair in the rear won't do much anyway. Plus they look bad if you have CF rear diffusers.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #9
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

eeeh, I simply don't like how they start at the top, they look hideous imo

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 1
TideMD291.50
      07-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #10
Carnut12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I ordered just front, I didn’t see back ones, but don’t think I would’ve ordered them anyway. I’m going to see how they look if it’s that bad I’ll take them off. The cost is worth it if it saves even one rock chip.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I haven't installed mine yet. I'm thinking about running thin double sided tape to prevent any possible paint damage on the fender.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 06:45 AM   #12
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
I have these back in stock in USA. Packed and ready to ship. They ship next business day after payment is received via 2-3 Day Priority shipping with tracking included. Can pay via PayPal, Venmo, Zelle. I don't visit the F8X forum that often since I am more active on the F87 board but can always get me via PM.
Attached Images

05-16-2021, 03:45 AM   #13
Discordia
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
I know it's been a few months since the last update, but I fitted some of these a couple of months back and thought I'd share my thoughts for those that are considering getting some. There don't seem to be many alternative products on the market so you can see why people might be interested in these.

As you can see, they are pretty plain. Just cut from sheets of carbon. But, once fitted, they do take on some shape from the arches. I prefer a subtle look, anyway, not some kiddie Japanese styling. I actually wanted them mainly for track use and was going to take them off when not using them. But I think they look pretty good and I'm going to leave them on now.

I didn't like the double-sided tape idea in the video for the front ones and they didn't send me any, anyway. Also, I wanted them to be easily removable. So, I did my own mod, as I usually do! I drilled an extra hole in the bottom of the wheel arch liner and fitted one of those bent metal captive nut things car manufacturers are so fond of. Then I drilled an extra hole in the flap (Oh, no! Did I void my warranty? Again?) and used a self-tapper to fix the bottom of the flap. It's much more secure and isn't going to come apart once they get wet. To do this properly and get the holes lined up perfectly, I removed the whole rear half of the arch liner from the car. It's really not that hard. If you can't handle a simple job like that, you should probably be paying someone to fit the flaps, anyway!!

Also, the rubber washers they provide to go under the screws are useless. They ruck up and spread out and come out from under the screw heads when you tighten them, because they're too soft. One of them tore completely. Plastic washers work better.

Lastly, I think it might be better if the front flaps were a bit longer - all the way up to the top plastic rivet. Some crap still misses the top of the flap and ends up on the wing. I reckon they'd still look nice and they'd match up with the black plastic arch liner where it overlaps the edge of the wing there. The rear ones are better.

Anyway, as I said, they look good. My car has the OEM Carbon Pack and they fit well with that. And, crucially, they actually work quite well. Much less crap gets on the wings. If only the front ones were a bit higher.

Anyway, there you go. I like them and, considering how much you can pay for carbon, they are fairly reasonably priced.

Edit: icegrill's idea for double sided tape (for the rear ones) is good, as they do go directly against the painted arch. In my case, the paint there was already damaged from 3 years of stone chips, so there really wasn't much point! The front ones only go against the plastic arch liner, so there's no need.

Last edited by Discordia; 05-16-2021 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 03:47 AM   #14
Discordia
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sorry, just to be clear, I'm in the UK and bought them directly from the manufacturer. So, it was them that didn't send the double-sided tape I didn't use, not your guy, BAN_M2C.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 05:45 AM   #15
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordia View Post
I know it's been a few months since the last update, but I fitted some of these a couple of months back and thought I'd share my thoughts for those that are considering getting some. There don't seem to be many alternative products on the market so you can see why people might be interested in these.

As you can see, they are pretty plain. Just cut from sheets of carbon. But, once fitted, they do take on some shape from the arches. I prefer a subtle look, anyway, not some kiddie Japanese styling. I actually wanted them mainly for track use and was going to take them off when not using them. But I think they look pretty good and I'm going to leave them on now.

I didn't like the double-sided tape idea in the video for the front ones and they didn't send me any, anyway. Also, I wanted them to be easily removable. So, I did my own mod, as I usually do! I drilled an extra hole in the bottom of the wheel arch liner and fitted one of those bent metal captive nut things car manufacturers are so fond of. Then I drilled an extra hole in the flap (Oh, no! Did I void my warranty? Again?) and used a self-tapper to fix the bottom of the flap. It's much more secure and isn't going to come apart once they get wet. To do this properly and get the holes lined up perfectly, I removed the whole rear half of the arch liner from the car. It's really not that hard. If you can't handle a simple job like that, you should probably be paying someone to fit the flaps, anyway!!

Also, the rubber washers they provide to go under the screws are useless. They ruck up and spread out and come out from under the screw heads when you tighten them, because they're too soft. One of them tore completely. Plastic washers work better.

Lastly, I think it might be better if the front flaps were a bit longer - all the way up to the top plastic rivet. Some crap still misses the top of the flap and ends up on the wing. I reckon they'd still look nice and they'd match up with the black plastic arch liner where it overlaps the edge of the wing there. The rear ones are better.

Anyway, as I said, they look good. My car has the OEM Carbon Pack and they fit well with that. And, crucially, they actually work quite well. Much less crap gets on the wings. If only the front ones were a bit higher.

Anyway, there you go. I like them and, considering how much you can pay for carbon, they are fairly reasonably priced.

Edit: icegrill's idea for double sided tape (for the rear ones) is good, as they do go directly against the painted arch. In my case, the paint there was already damaged from 3 years of stone chips, so there really wasn't much point! The front ones only go against the plastic arch liner, so there's no need.
can u share some photos of how they look with the modifications you've done?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:08 AM   #16
Discordia
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, sure. They're not that great, though. The light was going and, also, the flaps are quite subtle and it's tricky to get shots of the whole car in which you can still see the flaps. Weird that my Sakhir Orange car looks red in the pics! That paint is really trick. In bright light, it looks metallic orange and in low light, it looks like blood. Plus, it needed a wash!

I put the last one on to show the mod I did with the bolt. I guess the flap does go against the front edge of the painted skirt there but, as you can see, that bit is pretty battered, anyway, after 3 years on UK roads!
Attached Images

Last edited by Discordia; 05-16-2021 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2021, 06:12 AM   #17
Discordia
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
In fact, here's one more so you can see that bolt is really not visible once the car's back on the ground. Also, this was before I cleaned the area, so you can see that the front flap could do with being longer. The top of that splash is still gonna hit the car. If the flap went all the way to the top of that plastic overlap, where the third rivet is, it would work much better. I suggested this to Automotive Passion but they didn't respond. They obviously think they know better. They didn't like what I said about the rubber washers. Told me I'd overtightened the screws, which was b*ll*x.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-20-2021, 02:34 AM   #18
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordia View Post
In fact, here's one more so you can see that bolt is really not visible once the car's back on the ground. Also, this was before I cleaned the area, so you can see that the front flap could do with being longer. The top of that splash is still gonna hit the car. If the flap went all the way to the top of that plastic overlap, where the third rivet is, it would work much better. I suggested this to Automotive Passion but they didn't respond. They obviously think they know better. They didn't like what I said about the rubber washers. Told me I'd overtightened the screws, which was b*ll*x.
thank you for sharing that gives me an idea of how ima install mine. appreciate it bro!!
Appreciate 0