ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Driving Habits So Far

Time to share and lets see the betty whites raise their hands for the first 200 miles that I had my car before the rear diff had to be replaced I drove mainly in Manual (DCT) Mode and didnt go above 5500 rpm. When car was cold I left in Drive and drove normaly until car warmed up. I messed around with dropping the gear to hear the pop but nothing major to put the RPM above 5500.

With that said, how often do you drive it hard? Do you change the gears your self?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

I don't drive my car hard at all. I am very delicate with it and do not drive it in high RPM's above 5000... With that said, I did give my car some gas on two different occasion's. Its ok to drive in manual or in auto, either way will not hurt this car.

With all that said, I have had my DCT replaced already in my M4. Not sure if you read my story. But it was faulty.

BMW has These cars de-tuned, so even driving these cars flat out everyday, should not hurt it..

It's just the luck of the draw and with a new model, there are going to be defects.

I feel your pain. I lost mine for over 2 weeks, ended up with dealer damage, I am still awaiting repairs. But I have my car back with the new trans and it is working.

Don't beat yourself up, you did nothing wrong except for drive the car. BMW designed these cars to work the way they are intended to. If you use the options in the car that bmw provides, there is nothing wrong with that.. plus, it is a recommended break in, not required. If it was required, then bmw would electronically limit these cars until the break in service is completed.

Stay on top of them, make sure you have before pics or video of your car before you turned it in for service incase you receive it back with damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
/// M sa
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondula View Post
I don't drive my car hard at all. I am very delicate with it and do not drive it in high RPM's above 5000... With that said, I did give my car some gas on two different occasion's. Its ok to drive in manual or in auto, either way will not hurt this car.

With all that said, I have had my DCT replaced already in my M4. Not sure if you read my story. But it was faulty.

BMW has These cars de-tuned, so even driving these cars flat out everyday, should not hurt it..

It's just the luck of the draw and with a new model, there are going to be defects.

I feel your pain. I lost mine for over 2 weeks, ended up with dealer damage, I am still awaiting repairs. But I have my car back with the new trans and it is working.
I know your story, sorry man its a PIA to go through what your going through. It sucks for me too but not much I can do at this point and Lups is keeping my moral up figured that some people are driving the s out of these cars already.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa View Post
I know your story, sorry man its a PIA to go through what your going through. It sucks for me too but not much I can do at this point and Lups is keeping my moral up figured that some people are driving the s out of these cars already.
Look at it this way, Nothing you did could have prevented this.. It would have happened now or later.

If something is going to go wrong with a new car, it normally occurs within the first few hundred miles. So the break in has nothing to do with it, just defective product.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
/// M sa
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondula View Post
Look at it this way, Nothing you did could have prevented this.. It would have happened now or later.

If something is going to go wrong with a new car, it normally occurs within the first few hundred miles. So the break in has nothing to do with it, just defective product.
+ 1
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

I follow the break-in procedure most of the time but there times where full throttle gets applied.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

You gotta break them in within procedure limits, but you gotta break them in hard!

Soft break-in process = soft car!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
I follow the break-in procedure most of the time but there times where full throttle gets applied.
The same- there might have been a few occasions where I've been slightly over the 105mph limit and slightly over 5500 but mostly I've followed the break in procedure fairly religiously.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #9
savaho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

IMO if a car cannot be beat to death the minute it leaves the factory then they need to go back to the drawing board. Consumers are not going to always follow break-in procedures. Take rental cars for example. You honestly think someone gives a rat's ass if it's brand-spanking new car that needs to be babied the first 1200 miles?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:38 AM   #10
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

There's a solid science-backed theory that a new car in its first miles should be actually driven at full throttle at low speed (high gear) to create high pressure and properly seal the pistons/rings. Then switch through all gears back and forth and across entire rev range. After ~20 miles the engine and transmission is ready.

(Brakes, tires, differential might be a slightly different story.)

I tend to think that this is true, BUT manufacturers would not indicate this because it's too confusing for an average customer to follow. Not everybody who buys an M3/M4 (or any BMW for that matter) is an enthusiast. So it's just much easier to follow simpler procedures such as "don't rev up over 5000pm".

Also it's just safer to learn the new car and its behavior when driving slow and with caution -- manufacturers want to promote safe driving so their customers don't wreck new cars instantly.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 03:50 AM   #11
Zero4910
///Mmmm Good!
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod
There's a solid science-backed theory that a new car in its first miles should be actually driven at full throttle at low speed (high gear) to create high pressure and properly seal the pistons/rings. Then switch through all gears back and forth and across entire rev range. After ~20 miles the engine and transmission is ready.

(Brakes, tires, differential might be a slightly different story.)

I tend to think that this is true, BUT manufacturers would not indicate this because it's too confusing for an average customer to follow. Not everybody who buys an M3/M4 (or any BMW for that matter) is an enthusiast. So it's just much easier to follow simpler procedures such as "don't rev up over 5000pm".

Also it's just safer to learn the new car and its behavior when driving slow and with caution -- manufacturers want to promote safe driving so their customers don't wreck new cars instantly.
Car-science links or it didn't happen.

I've thought a lot about this 1200 mile break-in. If you just take a few days to go drive, you can rack up 1200 miles in just a few days. Donno why people always go crazy that they have to baby the car. I'm sure others, like myself, will just go driving for hours in their cars when they get them. 1200 miles will fly by so quickly. Take it easy and drive a lot the first few days (or a week if it takes you that long to get to 1200 miles), get your 1200 mile checkup done, then let 'er rip.

On another note, my M3 is being put on a truck today and I should have it by this weekend....perfect time to go for a 1200 mile drive! (Well, 2000km since I live in Germany)
[ Black Metallic Sapphire | Black Ext. Merino Leather | 18" Silver-Light Alloy Wheels | 6 Spd Manual Transmission | Carbon Fiber Trim| Driver Assistance Plus / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Moonroof / Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 04:11 AM   #12
Hobbination
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

Yep that's the link.

I think the question is not "is it a lot of effort to drive conservatively for 1200 miles?" but "what is actually a good break-in"?

Because what BMW is claiming may not be the best break-in, just simplified for mass market.
Appreciate 0