European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-08-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Is there a definitive answer on mp has?

Considering MP HAS as a Christmas present to myself. My car is zcp with cs coding. When I flashed the cs coding I think it upgraded the comfort by reducing compression while increasing rebound. I think the ride is softer but bounces less. This is purely subjective. Indont think there is hard data out there that shows exactly what cs coding does. But to me it made the ride less firm. I’d prefer to firm it up alittle

I am considering MP HAS. Everything I read says it lowers the car nicely and could add more comfort. I am not sure I want this. Does anyone know what the spring rates are for the mp has kit vs ZCP? It seems those with civics say the MP has upgrades the firmnes and reduces roll but those with ZCP say it just lowers the car with no impact to handling. It kind of makes sense I guess.

Pretty shocking that these kits don’t tell you the spring rates. Has Anyone uncovered the specs of the kit?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:15 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
You won't get a "definitive answer". The MP HAS have a variable spring rate in front, which makes it impossible to represent with a single number and difficult to directly compare with the base or CP spring rates. Note that the simple fact of lowering the car will improve cornering grip since a lower car will transfer less weight lateraly when cornering. Further, the fact that the MP-HAS is height adjustable, allows to corner balance the car and also allows to fine tune the handling balance by playing with the front and rear roll centers. I've found that the MP-HAS have noticeably improved the handling on my M4cs.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #3
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

If you want firmer, get Swift springs. I've never driven on them, but my Macht Schnell springs rode like garbage. Bouncy as hell.

Another firm option that will hook like hell in all scenarios is Bilstein B16 Damptronic. For the price, it's worth taking a look at.

My list of suspensions on my non-CP car was stock -> MS springs -> B16D -> MP HAS.
MP HAS completely craps on my MS springs - you definitely get what you pay for here. Not nearly as good as B16D but I was looking for more comfort, so needed to compromise somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
You won't get a "definitive answer". The MP HAS have a variable spring rate in front, which makes it impossible to represent with a single number and difficult to directly compare with the base or CP spring rates. Note that the simple fact of lowering the car will improve cornering grip since a lower car will transfer less weight lateraly when cornering. Further, the fact that the MP-HAS is height adjustable, allows to corner balance the car and also allows to fine tune the handling balance by playing with the front and rear roll centers. I've found that the MP-HAS have noticeably improved the handling on my M4cs.
Great explanation. Got my M HAS kit and debating whether I ride out the 4x4 look on my car until March or install it now along with camber plates. Are you on maximum drop on your springs? I love the stance of your car with almost no wheel gap.
      12-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

There's no way the HAS kit doesn't improve handling and driving dynamics, even if it's just a reduction in body roll. But you'll likely feel more than that. We often talk very one dimensionally about the changes in ride and handling, but the HAS kit changes the feel of the car in a way that's hard to explain. Best way to describe it is the ride is firmer but it's more complient and less crashy over bumps. Based on the testimonials in the large MP HAS thread, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

The firmware has alot to do with this as well. I doubt there is a "definitive" answer on that.
Off the showroom floor my ZCP suspension felt extremely firm and as most everyone else describes, bouncy at times, and out of control going over fast hills. Looking back it was uncomfortable and to put it simply, it rode like crap.

BEFORE I installed the MPHAS I had the firmware updated at the dealer (still ZCP suspension firmware but they update the whole system) and it transformed the car, all of it. Throttle response was better, suspension compression and rebound were greatly improved. It became a comfortable firm yet soft ride. Very flat and controlled through the turns, so much so I was hesitant to install the MPHAS because I didn't want to screw it up. BUT, I had driven the ZCP F80 with MPHAS at a BMW track days event and loved it and wanted my F80 to ride like that. I installed the MPHAS and have not regretted it.

Is there something still to be desired? Perhaps, compared to my FWD 90% caged track car the F80 could be better, but it's not a full fledged race car nor do I want it to be. I'm now just playing with wheel and tire combinations.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
There's no way the HAS kit doesn't improve handling and driving dynamics, even if it's just a reduction in body roll. But you'll likely feel more than that. We often talk very one dimensionally about the changes in ride and handling, but the HAS kit changes the feel of the car in a way that's hard to explain. Best way to describe it is the ride is firmer but it's more complient and less crashy over bumps. Based on the testimonials in the large MP HAS thread, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Don’t confuse weight transfer and roll

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #8
matty088
Major
Rep

Let me add this for clarity. I think the car has more roll with the cs tune in the ZCP hardware versus the off the shelf ZCP coding. I thought that from day one. I think it’s mostly in the rear. Though, It definitely feels more composed in elevation changes and rougher road. So I Am
Considering mphas. It’s just a high price to pay to lower the front .75 inches. The rear ride height is already perfect. I don’t think I can justify it unless there is an upgrade to handling, mainly reduced body roll and a tighter feel. So that’s my question.

And for context. As far as track time. I do an event a year. I don’t have enough experience to fully extract what this car can do. So the purpose isn’t to shave a second off my time around lime rock. It’s just to make it feel more crisp and sporty on the road.

Thanks for all the comments thus far.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #9
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

i'd swap out the shocks before springs

the mp has springs are stiffer than zcp, so if the zcp is already uncomfortable, mp has will be ever worse, not to mention you're shortening stroke of a compromised shock

the issue with M cars has always been the shocks, they persist with these crap sachs dampeners...and don't get me started on the poor mcpherson sturt design

put a set of bilstein b6's in it with oe springs for better dampening, or go full baller tractive suspension (i know a bloke selling his hahaha)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 05:24 AM   #10
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix View Post
Great explanation. Got my M HAS kit and debating whether I ride out the 4x4 look on my car until March or install it now along with camber plates. Are you on maximum drop on your springs? I love the stance of your car with almost no wheel gap.
No, I am not all the way down, I'd say about mid way. I can share my ride height settings when I get access to them if you wish. I had to doodle a little to get it right because I had the front set a little too low relative to the rear, which limited corner exit traction. Raising the front a little (by 6mm) relative to my original HAS setting helped in that respect. That's one thing that's great with the HAS, is that you can relatively easily play with the ride height to fine tune the handling balance .

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:33 AM   #11
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
No, I am not all the way down, I'd say about mid way. I can share my ride height settings when I get access to them if you wish. I had to doodle a little to get it right because I had the front set a little too low relative to the rear, which limited corner exit traction. Raising the front a little (by 6mm) relative to my original HAS setting helped in that respect. That's one thing that's great with the HAS, is that you can relatively easily play with the ride height to fine tune the handling balance .
Thanks I would really appreciate it if you would share those settings, I'm looking for the right balance of functionality and aesthetics and it looks like you've already done the heavy lifting . Did you corner balance?
      12-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #12
matty088
Major
Rep

what do gc camber plates do?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #13
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
what do gc camber plates do?
They allow front camber adjustments, which is not adjustable with the OE top plates. They are not required for car that doesn’t see regular track use.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #14
DavidStr
Banned
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

what about the Ground Control HAS kit? linear spring rate and you can select your rate too( within a certain limit)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #15
jshahm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 1998 ZCP Toyota Camry

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
i'd swap out the shocks before springs

the mp has springs are stiffer than zcp, so if the zcp is already uncomfortable, mp has will be ever worse, not to mention you're shortening stroke of a compromised shock

the issue with M cars has always been the shocks, they persist with these crap sachs dampeners...and don't get me started on the poor mcpherson sturt design

put a set of bilstein b6's in it with oe springs for better dampening, or go full baller tractive suspension (i know a bloke selling his hahaha)
tell me more (about the tractive suspension seller )
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:08 PM   #16
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshahm View Post
tell me more (about the tractive suspension seller )
hahaha

i have to remove my tractives as i need stock height

bit of a faff, but cliffs, they're coming out earlier than i planned
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #17
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Let me add this for clarity. I think the car has more roll with the cs tune in the ZCP hardware versus the off the shelf ZCP coding. I thought that from day one. I think it’s mostly in the rear. Though, It definitely feels more composed in elevation changes and rougher road. So I Am
Considering mphas. It’s just a high price to pay to lower the front .75 inches. The rear ride height is already perfect. I don’t think I can justify it unless there is an upgrade to handling, mainly reduced body roll and a tighter feel. So that’s my question.

And for context. As far as track time. I do an event a year. I don’t have enough experience to fully extract what this car can do. So the purpose isn’t to shave a second off my time around lime rock. It’s just to make it feel more crisp and sporty on the road.

Thanks for all the comments thus far.
I converted my ZCP to CS with the exception of Eibach V1 springs that are slightly softer than CS springs with similar front to rear spring rates bias. Stock ZCP with 20" front wheels feels stiffer than CS with sharper steering response on smooth roads at low speed giving the average road car driver the impression that a ZCP is a better handling car than the CS. The CS setup is more comfortable in efficiency mode on bumpy roads at moderate speed. Personally I think ZCP is too stiff and jiggly with the 20" front wheels for a comfortable cruise.

Start pushing the ZCP and it understeers and skips on bumps in high speed corners and in fact, it feels nervous with limited rebound dampening and feels worse in sports+ mode. The CS setup consisting of 19" front wheels, CS shock coding and non-ZCP front sway bay which is lighter than the ZCP bar, the handling difference at high speed on smooth corners and bumps is like chalk and cheese. The CS setup inspires far more confidence and predictability to drive the car harder and faster than the ZCP setup.

As I expected, BMW didn't alter the CS from ZCP specs to slow it down on a race track when driven at 10/10ths, but you need to drive it hard and fast to feel the difference otherwise, a stock ZCP does feel sharper and a potentially better handling car on smooth roads at low speed. It's when you push the ZCP if you get it wrong, it's going to bite you with unpredictability.

Power down's a lot better with the CS setup with traction control off and it doesn't tend to understeer at all in the corners I was getting understeer with the ZCP setup and can also carry higher corner speed. I'd say if anyone thinks the ZCP setup is better than CS, they're not driving the car hard enough to benefit from the CS handling refinements.

I think a CS HAS setup is likely a great setup for road and track without the negative effects associated with heavier springs and aftermarket coil over shocks unless the car is solely track dedicated.

Last edited by RevNev; 12-21-2019 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      12-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #18
calubi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Speaking of the CS EDC settings and updates, which firmware version is needed for this? Any chance a 2016 M3 already has the necessary updates? I'd like to check my version in esys to see if this is possible without a trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0