BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-23-2021, 05:47 PM   #10033
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post

It's a make you feel good about your decision post because at the very end he ends up changing his choice the M3
Great analysis point, totally agree; it's a "M3=smart choice" post that says: "bro, you got 90% of the 911 experience (you really want) for $30k less! Smart choice!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post

its a fun comparison but two completely different buyers usually. even if the msrp is in the same ballpark.
I'm of two minds:

(1.) yes, they're at different price points, buuuttt ....

(2.) Most everyone at price point #1 ACTUALLY wants #2, which this thread PROVES!

i.e, just about everyone who buys an M3 asks themselves: "would a 911 be worth it? Is it that much better? Should I go full send to get a 911?"

So I guess I don't believe 911s & M3 buyers are "completely different buyers"

I think it's the EXACT SAME BUYER, but segmented:

a.) buyers who are squeezing to get to an M3, but want a 911
b.) buyers who would have have to squeeze to get a 911 so don't, but want a 911
c.) buyers who could afford either, but can't justify a 911, but want a 911
d.) buyers who can afford & justify a 911 and get a 911
e.) buyers who legit want an M3 over a 911 (<- how big is this segment really??)

To believe 911 & M3 buyers are completely different, we'd have to believe segments a-d either don't exist or are WAY smaller than segment e ...

I think that's low probability.
Appreciate 4
Humdizzle6054.00
minn1914028.50
alex23642861.50
Thescout134944.00
      07-23-2021, 06:09 PM   #10034
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
That G82/992 thread hasn't taken off yet but I look forward to the delicious vitriol.
Do any G82 threads take off, besides the early ones with all the hate? That place is a snorefest...zzzzzz.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18164.00
alex23642861.50
      07-23-2021, 06:12 PM   #10035
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Agreed on most points, but I wouldn't even say the MSRP's are even in the same ball park. No options vs no options, it's still a $30k delta between a base Carrera and a base M3/M4.
True...in fairness in the video he was going on UK pricing.

M3 comp - $76.1k
911 - $84.8k

Not too far off even without adding options.

Last edited by hellrotm; 07-23-2021 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:45 PM   #10036
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
To believe 911 & M3 buyers are completely different, we'd have to believe segments a-d either don't exist or are WAY smaller than segment e ...

I think you're forgetting a segment (or maybe it's under e?), like the one I am/was in and I think it's bigger then you give it credit for.

I was never a big Porsche fan and always wanted an M car because that's the culture I was around, M was my goal and dream to own one day, grew up with BMWs and of course seeing pristine M cars I always loved everything about them, and still do.
Then came the American cars, muscle cars, mustangs, camaro and corvettes phase.

Big V8's was always something I loved (still do) but they never matched the "Germans" as something I'd rather wanted to own.

Time came when I could finally get a nice car with my hard earned cash, I never once looked at or considered a Porsche, I went to M straight away.

Admittedly I almost ended up with a Mustang at that time because a dealer close to me had one in, it sounds amazing and had a V8, but decided to get into the M4 first as to me, that was my dream car ever since they showed it after all.

I bought that car on the spot pretty much as soon as I drove it out the dealership on my test drive.

Never regretted it and don't think I ever will and only reason I almost sold it was because I wanted to own a "last of the new V8s" (kinda FOMO I guess) but I managed to pull away which was the right decision in the end for me.

It's only the last year I've really viewed Porsche as the "next" logical step up from the M's as they've caught my attention, but financially they make very little sense for me in my current situation.

TL;DR Some just want an M because it's something they've dream of and that is their dream car/goal and in my experience there is a whole lot of them here

Last edited by Tecnniqe; 07-23-2021 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 4
      07-23-2021, 06:53 PM   #10037
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

133 through the traps for the oft overlooked civic Turbo if you will...
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18164.00
CanAutM321116.50
      07-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #10038
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
I think you're forgetting a segment (or maybe it's under e?), like the one I am/was in and I think it's bigger then you give it credit for.

I was never a big Porsche fan and always wanted an M car because that's the culture I was around, M was my goal and dream to own one day, grew up with BMWs and of course seeing pristine M cars I always loved everything about them, and still do.

Big V8's was always something I loved (still do) but they never matched the "Germans" as something I'd rather wanted to own.

Time came when I could finally get a nice car with my hard earned cash, I never once looked at or considered a Porsche, I went to M straight away.

Admittedly I almost ended up with a Mustang at that time because a dealer close to me had one in, it sounds amazing and had a V8, but decided to get into the M4 first as to me, that was my dream car ever since they showed it after all.

I bought that car on the spot pretty much as soon as I drove it out the dealership on my test drive.

Never regretted it and don't think I ever will and only reason I almost sold it was because I wanted to own a "last of the new V8s" (kinda FOMO I guess) but I managed to pull away which was the right decision in the end for me.

It's only the last year I've really viewed Porsche as the "next" logical step up from the M's as they've caught my attention, but financially they make very little sense for me in my current situation.

TL;DR Some just want an M because it's something they've dream of and that is their dream car/goal and in my experience there is a whole lot of them here
Years ago, I never looked past a M as it was something I quietly aimed for since High School.

It was only after getting into a M that I wondered if something like a 911 is possible, or feasible.

After meeting a bunch of friends IRL because of my former M4, one of them was speaking to me regarding the upcoming 982 GT4. I scrapped getting a 991.2 GT3 for a few reasons. It was only I had gotten my foot in the door with Porsche, researched a bit more regarding the GT4 and the Spyder siblings that I realized the car was far more down my alley than the GT3 was.

2 years after that, I put my order in before she had ordered her 982 Spyder since she is currently in medical school.

If I was never in a M, I would have never gotten into Porsche in the first place. You be extremely surprised where life leads you some times.
Sedan_Clan25055.00
GrussGott18164.00
clutchdj1877.00
      07-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #10039
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Quote:
Agreed on most points, but I wouldn't even say the MSRP's are even in the same ball park. No options vs no options, it's still a $30k delta between a base Carrera and a base M3/M4.

M3 comp - $76.1k
911 - $84.8k

I don't recall from the video if the M3 Comp had options or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:02 PM   #10040
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:

Years ago, I never looked past a M as it was something I quietly aimed for since High School.

It was only after getting into a M that I wondered if something like a 911 is possible, or feasible.

After meeting a bunch of friends IRL because of my former M4, one of them was speaking to me regarding the upcoming 982 GT4. I scrapped getting a 991.2 GT3 for a few reasons. It was only I had gotten my foot in the door with Porsche, researched a bit more regarding the GT4 and the Spyder siblings that I realized the car was far more down my alley than the GT3 was.

2 years after that, I put my order in before she had ordered her 982 Spyder since she is currently in medical school.

If I was never in a M, I would have never gotten into Porsche in the first place. You be extremely surprised where life leads you some times.

This is similar to my story. If I had never transitioned to M's, I would've never began looking at Porsche's. Like mentioned in a post above, it was the next logical step. I wasn't interested in lateral moves.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      07-23-2021, 08:13 PM   #10041
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, there's definitely a "journey map" for most buyers...

and, let's say some 20 yo has the means to buy either ... if their friends all covet an M then that's what they'd get (which would be "e") versus the more wizened buyer who's 50, see all 'dat, knows what they know & don't know and chooses the M over the 911 preferentially. Same "e" but to your point, very different reasons.

I've mentioned before that in my teens while in NorCal one could roll up in a Porsche and get an "eh, cool I guess" versus roll up in a VW Scirocco (or GTi) and "DDDAAAAYYYYYMMMM rad car dude!!"

I had this buddy, Kirk, who built a bong into the armrest of his Scirocco. That was Legend.

Anyway, let's just say in the mid to late 80s Arcades's first car would've DEFINITELY been a Scirocco.

Or a 1961 GT California. Depending. Whatever.

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-24-2021 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 7
Sedan_Clan25055.00
Thescout134944.00
Arcades8169.50
hellrotm4142.50
minn1914028.50
Tecnniqe4197.00
      07-23-2021, 08:31 PM   #10042
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:

This was me, until I achieved it and my income bracket changed, and then my dream changed.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25055.00
GrussGott18164.00
Humdizzle6054.00
      07-23-2021, 08:32 PM   #10043
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This times a million!
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25055.00
Arcades8169.50
clutchdj1877.00
      07-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #10044
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

M3 comp - $76.1k
911 - $84.8k

Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25055.00
      07-23-2021, 08:34 PM   #10045
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's a make you feel good about your decision post because at the very end he ends up changing his choice the M3
Great analysis point, totally agree; it's a "M3=smart choice" post that says: "bro, you got 90% of the 911 experience (you really want) for $30k less! Smart choice!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post

its a fun comparison but two completely different buyers usually. even if the msrp is in the same ballpark.
I'm of two minds:

(1.) yes, they're at different price points, buuuttt ....

(2.) Most everyone at price point #1 ACTUALLY wants #2, which this thread PROVES!

i.e, just about everyone who buys an M3 asks themselves: "would a 911 be worth it? Is it that much better? Should I go full send to get a 911?"

So I guess I don't believe 911s & M3 buyers are "completely different buyers"

I think it's the EXACT SAME BUYER, but segmented:

a.) buyers who are squeezing to get to an M3, but want a 911
b.) buyers who would have have to squeeze to get a 911 so don't, but want a 911
c.) buyers who could afford either, but can't justify a 911, but want a 911
d.) buyers who can afford & justify a 911 and get a 911
e.) buyers who legit want an M3 over a 911 (<- how big is this segment really??)

Correct assessment (mostly) as always (most of the time).
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18164.00
      07-23-2021, 08:34 PM   #10046
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

M3 comp - $76.1k
911 - $84.8k

Fully loaded
So it wasn't a base vs base comparison then. I suppose my original comment about the delta still applies?!?!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:36 PM   #10047
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

M3 comp - $76.1k
911 - $84.8k

Fully loaded
So it wasn't a base vs base comparison then. I suppose my original comment about the delta still applies?!?!
It was a fully loaded M3 comp vs a base 911 with 1 options (the Sport Tex interior) that's it. Delta in price was like £8k. So in the UK they are much more comparable. Here the net difference (sans carbon ceramics) would be ~$20k if I am doing my math right.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 09:28 PM   #10048
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
This is similar to my story. If I had never transitioned to M's, I would've never began looking at Porsche's. Like mentioned in a post above, it was the next logical step. I wasn't interested in lateral moves.
Quote:
This times a million!
Quote:

and, let's say some 20 yo has the means to buy either ... if their friends all covet an M then that's what they'd get (which would be "e") versus the more wizened buyer who's 50, see all 'dat, knows what they know & don't know and chooses the M over the 911 preferentially. Same "e" but to your point, very different reasons.

I've mentioned before that in my teens while in NorCal one could roll up in a Porsche and get an "eh, cool I guess" versus roll up in a VW Scirocco (or GTi) and "DDDAAAAYYYYYMMMM rad car dude!!"

I had this buddy, Kirk, who built a bong into the armrest of his Scirocco. That was Legend.

Anyway, let's just say in the mid to late 80s Arcades's first car would've DEFINITELY been a Scirocco.

I legit never looked above my M4/M3.

When I dropped the idea of the .2 GT3, I pretty much decided that my M3 was probably going to be it as there weren't really any other cars out that I had any interest in. The newer 992 has gotten too big for my personal liking and I had a bit of trouble justifying the price as well. I didn't see the need really. That and doing all the selling and stuff was (and STILL IS) a giant PIA. That and I save $$

It was only during the 2019 LA Auto Show. I went with a female friend of my best friend. I knew her from before and she was going to medical school soon and needed to go actually to look at a few SUVs for her needs in Boston lol. I went because I kind of wanted to. While we were chilling at the Porsche Lounge (Porsche owners can go for food and stuff ), she started speaking about the two Speed Yellow GT4 and Spyder that Porsche revealed that year, mentioned it was her dream car. Those two were sitting there (still have photos!) I remember being oddly unimpressed during that time for some reason, I don't remember why.

After the day, I started researching about them, the more interest I gained in them the more I learned. Fast forward after the Macan GTS, I realized it was kind of the car I want to settle with, the biggest plus is that, you get a true Porsche GT car and most dealerships don't gouge the living heck out of you. You don't get a fake rear seat that is unusable (911s...), it's mid-engine with a NA Flat Six, with driving characteristics that are probably the best in the industry. The only downside is, it is a two seater, some complaints about long gears.

However, if I am settling with a car long term, and I know I always will have a eco DD, this is literally it. I so rarely ever have passengers in my M4, let alone my M3. It is the perfect time for it price wise and timing. With how the car world is at the moment and where it is headed, this is one of the last few years we can have something like this.

Of course, BMW's direction definitely steered me away from them so. That is on them.

P.S. I also want to put that she owns a F87 M2 Comp

Last edited by Arcades; 07-23-2021 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 4
      07-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #10049
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This times a million!
Quote:

I legit never looked above my M4/M3.

When I dropped the idea of the .2 GT3, I pretty much decided that my M3 was probably going to be it as there weren't really any other cars out that I had any interest in. The newer 992 has gotten too big for my personal liking and I had a bit of trouble justifying the price as well. I didn't see the need really. That and doing all the selling and stuff was (and STILL IS) a giant PIA. That and I save $$

It was only during the 2019 LA Auto Show. I went with a female friend of my best friend. I knew her from before and she was going to medical school soon and needed to go actually to look at a few SUVs for her needs in Boston lol. I went because I kind of wanted to. While we were chilling at the Porsche Lounge (Porsche owners can go for food and stuff ), she started speaking about the two Speed Yellow GT4 and Spyder that Porsche revealed that year, mentioned it was her dream car. Those two were sitting there (still have photos!) I remember being oddly unimpressed during that time for some reason, I don't remember why.

After the day, I started researching about them, the more interest I gained in them the more I learned. Fast forward after the Macan GTS, I realized it was kind of the car I want to settle with, the biggest plus is that, you get a true Porsche GT car and most dealerships don't gouge the living heck out of you. You don't get a fake rear seat that is unusable (911s...), it's mid-engine with a NA Flat Six, with driving characteristics that are probably the best in the industry. The only downside is, it is a two seater, some complaints about long gears.

However, if I am settling with a car long term, and I know I always will have a eco DD, this is literally it. I so rarely ever have passengers in my M4, let alone my M3. It is the perfect time for it price wise and timing. With how the car world is at the moment and where it is headed, this is one of the last few years we can have something like this.

Of course, BMW's direction definitely steered me away from them so. That is on them.

P.S. I also want to put that she owns a F87 M2 Comp
This is a rationale decision making process. For me, the 992S so I can have the power and insanity for 2-3 years then a 992 GT3 Touring (when the prices calm down) as my last car. So I'm right there with you.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8169.50
      07-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #10050
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

M3 comp - $76.1k
911 - $84.8k

Quote:
Quote:
Fully loaded
Quote:
The M4 had options. I was just posting the msrp in UK for each car. Only an $8k diff over there, base vs base.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25055.00
Arcades8169.50
      07-23-2021, 10:47 PM   #10051
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

A little off topic but gotta love how practical F8X is… even as a 2 door F82! Easily fits the Ikea run with loads more space left. Fit that in your 911
Attached Images

GrussGott18164.00
swagon13518.00
Tecnniqe4197.00
FormulaMMM3662.50
NickyC17473.50
      07-23-2021, 11:04 PM   #10052
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

That's the easy part, assembling Ikea stuff's the frustrating part :-)
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      07-23-2021, 11:44 PM   #10053
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Remember when we mentioned exhaust burbles and pops being the telltale douche indicator?!? Well this guy continues to drive in 1st gear around the entire mall, modulating the gas so his exhaust just pops and burbles the whole time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
RugbyBro7601.50
GrussGott18164.00
minn1914028.50
Arcades8169.50
      07-23-2021, 11:53 PM   #10054
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
This is a fun conversation. I've always dreamed of having an M3 since the 90s and when the opportunity came my way a few years back I took it. My money is now a bit longer and I could theoretically go for newer fancy Porsche or even some lightly driven Italian dreams but I find myself much more attracted to nostalgic rides from my teens and twenties and the Porsche that talks to me most is the 993 S.

Prices are through the roof on these right now and I think for good reason but it's still crazy to me that a late 90s turbo might have only been driven for 25-50k miles. What were the owners thinking!?!

Over the past 5 months I've been resurrecting a VW Corrado VR6 and it has been a blessing and a curse. Everything needs to be replaced and major systems keep breaking down but for the most part you can tackle it yourself as long as you're willing to track down parts. I've bought stuff from Greece, Latvia, Germany, the UK, Ukraine, and even Russia and get to DIY most of it.

I would never feel comfortable doing work on a 993 since record keeping is almost as important as not driving them. At the end of the day whatever you drive should bring you enjoyment and the VW has taught me that people appreciate the odd relic out on the road even more than they're impressed with your top end garage queen.

Driving the old VW is visceral, noisy, and uncertain and people will literally follow me to my next stop to talk about the time they saw one in college or the Scirocco they once had. It's a wild experience. I wonder whether I'd ever have as much fun in a modern car.

Then I go drive my F80 and I marvel at how far we've come. I'm sure there are better cars but there's a sweet spot for tooling around town and it might be it. Sorry for the novel!
Appreciate 9
RugbyBro7601.50
Sedan_Clan25055.00
Thescout134944.00
GrussGott18164.00
minn1914028.50
Arcades8169.50
swagon13518.00
Tecnniqe4197.00