Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #67
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Even when OBD2 flashing is made available, a home-user option will not be available for some time. However, vehicles can be reflashed via OBD2 once the initial flash has been applied.

Method of loading doesn't change the performance the the tune. We'll be flashing in the meantime, those not local can send in their DME for flashing with very little downtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
Once OBD flash is available, I will all over this like white on rice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
+1. No OBD flash, no interest.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #68
Liquid2.0T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It used to be a BMW...

That's an issue. Flash tunes are all about convenience. I would gladly be down a bit on power if I could simply go to an authorized distributor and get flashed through the OBD2. Sending out the ECU for a couple of days and drilling into it is simply not an option.

If or once you guys have the ability to flash via the OBD2 port I'll be one of the first in line.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #69
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid2.0T View Post
That's an issue. Flash tunes are all about convenience. I would gladly be down a bit on power if I could simply go to an authorized distributor and get flashed through the OBD2. Sending out the ECU for a couple of days and drilling into it is simply not an option.

If or once you guys have the ability to flash via the OBD2 port I'll be one of the first in line.
I completely hear what you're saying.

The primary purpose of flash tunes allow the DME to have full control over the engine, keeping all critical safety systems in check. Once flashed, updates or reflashes can be loaded through the OBD2 port. The computer needs to be removed in order to access the bootloader, there is no way around this at the current moment and this will likely change down the road. Unfortunately, not anytime soon.

Drilling the case to access the bootloader is the easiest way to access and keeps doesn't damage the case halves from separating/resealing, a stainless finishing cap is applied for an OEM look when completed.

For those near ESS (Arizona) or our facility (Southern California), all this can be performed in the of same day, including before/after dyno sessions.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #70
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

And EAS does a great job doing it. I'm happy with my flash tune, especially the cold start delete.
      11-02-2015, 05:51 PM   #71
best-perf
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: M5 E61

isn't the cold start function programmed IN for a reason? Okay if you live in hot hot cali i get it, but what with colder areas? If it wasn't necessary bmw wouldn't make it like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #72
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by best-perf View Post
isn't the cold start function programmed IN for a reason? Okay if you live in hot hot cali i get it, but what with colder areas? If it wasn't necessary bmw wouldn't make it like that.
Car manufacturers do lots of things for lots of reasons, including financial, regulatory, emissions, etc...

In this case, the cold start is solely to get the pre-cats hot enough to make the car pass cold start emissions. It has nothing whatsoever to do with living in a hot vs cold climate; the operating temp for cats is upwards of 600+ degrees, so starting at 0 degrees in Alaska vs starting at 80 degrees in California makes little difference.

For those of us who have replaced the pre cats with downpipes, well, cold start makes even less sense to have.

But if you think it is necessary for your car, feel free to do what you want with your car. Just avoid making un-informed statements on the internet. I know, that's a lot to ask.
      11-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #73
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Regarding bench flashing, does the DME have to be opened? Does the process leave visual evidence of intrusion on the DME?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #74
n54fanatic
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M4

So to have the car flashed BMW will be able to find out through physical evidence that the DME has been tampered with
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #75
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n54fanatic View Post
So to have the car flashed BMW will be able to find out through physical evidence that the DME has been tampered with
Quote:
Regarding bench flashing, does the DME have to be opened? Does the process leave visual evidence of intrusion on the DME?
The DME is opened to access the bootloader in order to flash. All reflashes are then performed via OBD2.

BMW can detect any tune (piggyback or flash) if they are specifically searching for it. There has to be a probable cause to even go this direction, for most service appointments this is not an issue.

Appreciate 1
      11-05-2015, 02:26 PM   #76
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Depends who's doing the bench flash..

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #77
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
With the position of the engine control module, it would have to be either removed during a repair to see that it has been tampered with and or the lines, clips, etc. that are around that area need to be re-installed back in the their configuration.
Honest, I doubt that anyone would be able to tell. You cant really see the module unless you are specifically looking for it.
So, unless you have a drivability issue (CEL) or a reason for a tech to look deep into diagnostic data...they will never know.
There is no program counter either. So when your vehicle goes in for a factory software update that will happen at some point, you vehicle will be returned to you under powered and you just need to get it re-flashed again.
Appreciate 2
      11-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #78
Kr3st
Wheel Whore
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes. It's either opened or drilled. I believe opening it would be best, as it won't have a hole with a plug in it.

But, I'm going with a piggyback. Yes, all types of tunes can be detected. Piggyback or flash.
      11-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #79
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
With the position of the engine control module, it would have to be either removed during a repair to see that it has been tampered with and or the lines, clips, etc. that are around that area need to be re-installed back in the their configuration.
Honest, I doubt that anyone would be able to tell. You cant really see the module unless you are specifically looking for it.
So, unless you have a drivability issue (CEL) or a reason for a tech to look deep into diagnostic data...they will never know.
There is no program counter either. So when your vehicle goes in for a factory software update that will happen at some point, you vehicle will be returned to you under powered and you just need to get it re-flashed again.
Pretty much spot on.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 12:22 AM   #80
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan View Post
You don't know until you've run the flash. This is a great tune. It's been tested and it runs well. Having no limiter in the way, no CEL in itself is a value add to anyone running down pipes. My experiences are extremely positive with EAS. They added real value to my flash when it was being tested in January and I appreciated their input. No. Not a rip off given the value and performance. 475whp is a significantly higher at the crank. Around 550 hp. If anything ESS are underexaggerating their tune.
Great flash tune for this chassis/model. Cannot argue with the above assessment at all. It totally transforms the car to a mini-M5 beast IMHO. Much enjoyed. Thanks EAS and ESS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I completely hear what you're saying.

The primary purpose of flash tunes allow the DME to have full control over the engine, keeping all critical safety systems in check. Once flashed, updates or reflashes can be loaded through the OBD2 port. The computer needs to be removed in order to access the bootloader, there is no way around this at the current moment and this will likely change down the road. Unfortunately, not anytime soon.

Drilling the case to access the bootloader is the easiest way to access and keeps doesn't damage the case halves from separating/resealing, a stainless finishing cap is applied for an OEM look when completed.

For those near ESS (Arizona) or our facility (Southern California), all this can be performed in the of same day, including before/after dyno sessions.
Yes I waited till I got orders to move to AZ and went to ESS and they did a great job with my car. Awesome tune.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #81
GDawk
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4, Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Frankfurt View Post
Would the ECM have to be removed to re-flash after the first time?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #82
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDawk View Post
Would the ECM have to be removed to re-flash after the first time?
The DME would need to be removed in order to perform an initial flash, any reflashes/updates can be uploaded through the OBD2. An experienced shop can remove a DME in about 60-90 minutes on a completely cool engine. Full OBD2 flashing is still quite some time away, but method of installation doesn't change the overall performance of the tune.

Be prepared for some very exciting updates coming shortly.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #83
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I'm monitoring this thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #84
TwinMTurbo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F82, AW E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #85
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

Be prepared for some very exciting updates coming shortly.
Such as?
Appreciate 0