Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-16-2023, 02:47 PM   #1
LandonLiftz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2018

Exhaust Upgrades (Just Bought M4)

A little backstory skip if you want my first bmw a 330i g20 I had a resonator delete muffler delete and tune it wasnt that loud but I honestly loved it popped like hell no pop tune really just stage 1 flash. It got totaled out and I just bought a 2018 M4.

I love the how it sounds tone wise compared to my 330i, but its pretty quiet when im driving cant really hear it that much and theres no pops at all. Now I have looked at catback exhausts and they are way out of budget for me right now. So I was looking into resonator + Muffler delet again I loved the result on my 330i a little drone but I honestly didnt notice over my music. The problem Im seeing is I cant find anyone with a resonator and muffler delete. (im not that educated when it comes to modifying cars thats why I came here) I see people doing Midpipes, and I see them for sale some people even talk about it deleting a cat or something alogn those lines when they install it. So I have a couple questions The shop I get my work done at wont install anything catless or something that will fail emissions. Would a aftermarket MidPipe and muffler delete cause me too fail?

So my options im looking at are as follows please let me know anything about these that could be helpful.

AfterMarket Midpipe + Muffler Delete (or magnaflow universal muffler)
Resonator Delete + Muffler Delete (or magnaflow universal muffler)
Muffler Delete (or magnaflow universal muffler)
(when I say muffler delete its a cheap option the shop I go to has where they cut out the muffler and put in a X pipe or something along those lines.)
Would the muffler delete/magna flow muffler be enough or should I also delete a resonator. I have also seen alot of people talking about how they dont want to mess with the resonators on stock exhaust why would that be.
Any help or information about the M4 exhaust would be appreciated its alot more complicated then my 330i it seems LMAO.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 02:51 PM   #2
LandonLiftz
Private
United_States
Rep

Also been doing more research what the fuck is a secondary cat delete I mean I somewhat know what it means, but is it legal? Does it sound good? Also what is the diffrence betweeen a secondary cat delete and a resonator delete?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 12:35 AM   #3
bholler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ferrari Red F80

Garage List
Welcome to the exhaust rabbit hole.

2017 ///M3 Individual Ferrari Red / Full Black Leather/ ZCP / DCT
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 09:18 AM   #4
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3 M40i, '19 C7 Z06 7MT

I'm running VRSF catless DP + AA resonated single midpipe + Dinan muffler on a BM3 stage 1 tune (the tune improves the sound even with burbles turned off). I can hear it with the windows rolled up, still not as loud as windows down but much louder than stock. I would say it's ~50% louder than stock and sounds much better but that's subjective.

I think the consensus for the best sounding F8X is some kind of catted downpipe, AA non-resonated equal length midpipe and Remus axleback. Doesn't sound like an S55 anymore, has a higher pitched scream at the higher RPMs which I like.

The reason I didn't go that route because the previous owner had put on catless DPs which sound incredibly raspy with EL midpipes. So be aware of the trade off.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 10:21 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Muffler delete are louder but not in a good way; they will drone and don't sound good.

Since a real exhaust is outside your budget, I recommend you invest in a reasonably priced downpipe or midpipe.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 11:55 AM   #6
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Skip the muffler delete and just go straight for the midpipe and see how you like it. Like others have said the muffler delete is not a great idea and you will lose your abilities close the valves. Add an intake with the savings.

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-f8x-m3-m4...race-included/
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 07:14 PM   #7
LandonLiftz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Skip the muffler delete and just go straight for the midpipe and see how you like it. Like others have said the muffler delete is not a great idea and you will lose your abilities close the valves. Add an intake with the savings.

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-f8x-m3-m4...race-included/
Yea this product you guys have showed me looks amazing, and I would much rather get this then a muffler delete. Now I havent done much research on the midpipes, and what exactly it does like I mentioned my shop wont install anything that will make me fail a emmisions test for inspection. Im assuming this is perfectly fine?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 07:21 PM   #8
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonLiftz View Post
Yea this product you guys have showed me looks amazing, and I would much rather get this then a muffler delete. Now I havent done much research on the midpipes, and what exactly it does like I mentioned my shop wont install anything that will make me fail a emmisions test for inspection. Im assuming this is perfectly fine?
Should be perfectly fine. This removes the secondary cats but keeps the factory primary cats in place. No CEL.
      09-18-2023, 09:43 AM   #9
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonLiftz View Post
Our mdipipe removes the secondary cats and resonator which are not checked by any sensors. You will not fail any obd2 emissions which makes it the perfect modification.
Appreciate 0