Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #1
heyitsnewtome
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
First red light launch

Well, I've had my 2015 M4 for all of 25 days and subtract a week for snow and bad conditions. I took her out for an errand tonight. Stopped at that "draggy" stop light. You know the one. Car pulled up next to me. Light hit, and it was on. For whole 3/10s of a second. The Challenger ate my lunch, I didn't get a look at the badge, so I don't know if it was a hellcat or a scat pack.
I didn't even look at the car when it was next to me, I just knew it wasn't LEO.
Man, nothing like getting smoked.

I guess it's upgrade time. Haha. I did have a little tire slip, but that's not an excuse. I know I won't be able to take a Hellcat. I'm just full of adrenaline now, and wanted to share.
Appreciate 2
dezzracer1182.50
      02-25-2021, 08:09 PM   #2
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Might want to have the mods move this to the versus section.

Aside from that, shouldn’t lose to anything that isn’t in the hello kitty lineup unless heavily modded aftermarket. Many will come in to suggest a tune and I will just be the first to do it. Start with a stage 1 if you want or go all in LOL. Bm3 is the most popular platform but competitors are alpine, ecutek, mhd etc.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
heyitsnewtome
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Might want to have the mods move this to the versus section.

Aside from that, shouldn't lose to anything that isn't in the hello kitty lineup unless heavily modded aftermarket. Many will come in to suggest a tune and I will just be the first to do it. Start with a stage 1 if you want or go all in LOL. Bm3 is the most popular platform but competitors are alpine, ecutek, mhd etc.
Thanks, didn't realize there was a versus section. I'm pretty new to this world.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsnewtome View Post
Thanks, didn't realize there was a versus section. I'm pretty new to this world.
All good! Why I made the suggestion as there are all kinds in this world, including those who enjoy lambasting for posting in the wrong spot. I, am not one of those assholes
Appreciate 3
      02-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #5
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Well, I've had my 2015 M4 for all of 25 days and subtract a week for snow and bad conditions. I took her out for an errand tonight. Stopped at that "draggy" stop light. You know the one. Car pulled up next to me. Light hit, and it was on. For whole 3/10s of a second. The Challenger ate my lunch, I didn't get a look at the badge, so I don't know if it was a hellcat or a scat pack.
I didn't even look at the car when it was next to me, I just knew it wasn't LEO.
Man, nothing like getting smoked.

I guess it's upgrade time. Haha. I did have a little tire slip, but that's not an excuse. I know I won't be able to take a Hellcat. I'm just full of adrenaline now, and wanted to share.
Don't worry team M3 is up
3 wins

I've run a few; abused them all...

They don't like cutting the wheel at speed or getting on the gas off camber

🦅
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2021, 08:21 PM   #6
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Besides tune there is the other T, for tires.
There is a lot of variance in grip between stock tires and other sticky alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #7
heyitsnewtome
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Besides tune there is the other T, for tires.
There is a lot of variance in grip between stock tires and other sticky alternatives.
Yeah, it will need some better tires. Mine have a lot of meat, but they are Hancook Ventus. I guess the previous owner didn't want to drop the coin on some Michelin's or some Toyos.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
M4theWIN1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

No worries - you will have better days ahead. These cars are plenty fast. Just have to get them to hook up right and it's on. I used to be a Challenger guy myself. No RT or Scat Pack will get you.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 01:51 AM   #9
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Yeah, it will need some better tires. Mine have a lot of meat, but they are Hancook Ventus. I guess the previous owner didn't want to drop the coin on some Michelin's or some Toyos.
Hankook Ventus are trash.

Stock you will need Michelin Super Sports. Tuned preferably 4s. E85 you will need DR R888R.
      02-26-2021, 05:29 AM   #10
heyitsnewtome
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Quote:
Hankook Ventus are trash.

Stock you will need Michelin Super Sports. Tuned preferably 4s. E85 you will need DR R888R.
Stock size or wider? If wider how wide?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #11
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stock size or wider? If wider how wide?
Depends on wheels but the wider the better within reason just for more surface contact patch. That is, specifically in context to the current conversation. I have found excellent traction with 285 in the rear re71r’s and the simple mods (dp, full exhaust, intakes, plugs and custom E85 tune) Others claim the 305 variants aren’t enough. I suspect it’s temperature, road composition and road conditions.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #12
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Run from a roll in second gear, 30-50mph area then hit it. Launching these cars is basically a competition Of who has better tires lol, unless you're both on great tires in great conditions. Also less strain on your car on a roll

There's not a stock American naturally aspirated car out there than can gap a DCT F8x, except the corvettes.

I've ran srt, SS, GT, whatever 10 speed and never lost, usually gap them or slowly pull away.
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #13
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Run from a roll in second gear, 30-50mph area then hit it. Launching these cars is basically a competition Of who has better tires lol, unless you're both on great tires in great conditions. Also less strain on your car on a roll

There's not a stock American naturally aspirated car out there than can gap a DCT F8x, except the corvettes.

I've ran srt, SS, GT, whatever 10 speed and never lost, usually gap them or slowly pull away.
Interesting that you bring up the Vettes. Guy in my workgroup just ordered a 2020 base C8, which should deliver Monday or Tuesday. He talked nonstop about the thing yesterday. I'm talking a solid 7 hours out of the 8-hour workday telling everyone that walked by his area.

I overheard him a couple of times mention how it would immediately be one of the fastest cars in our region (bit of a stretch, considering there are a handful of Lambos, a few McLaren, at least one 911 GT3 that I know of, as well as a few C8's I've seen around town... but I let it slide without adding any comments).

Regardless, it got me curious so I went to check the reported power/Tq ratings, etc. Now I'm kind of interested to see what happens if we turn them loose for a couple of runs.
      02-27-2021, 09:16 AM   #14
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post
Quote:

Interesting that you bring up the Vettes. Guy in my workgroup just ordered a 2020 base C8, which should deliver Monday or Tuesday. He talked nonstop about the thing yesterday. I'm talking a solid 7 hours out of the 8-hour workday telling everyone that walked by his area.

I overheard him a couple of times mention how it would immediately be one of the fastest cars in our region (bit of a stretch, considering there are a handful of Lambos, a few McLaren, at least one 911 GT3 that I know of, as well as a few C8's I've seen around town... but I let it slide without adding any comments).

Regardless, it got me curious so I went to check the reported power/Tq ratings, etc. Now I'm kind of interested to see what happens if we turn them loose for a couple of runs.
I raced one. I'm stock dct. It ate me alive. Keep in mind I've beat 2018+GT 10 speeds, scat packs, whatever, but the c8 corvette put a bus length on me. Some guy in my neighborhood got one a while afo
Appreciate 3
TideMD291.50
jmack548.50
      02-27-2021, 01:30 PM   #15
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

To OP , More power no good unless you can stick it. And wider stickier track tires won't help much unless warmed up pretty well. From a roll it would have been a different story. M cars are autobahn monsters in a high speed pull. Throw a couple curves in there and you will destroy any Charger or Challenger. I wouldn't fret about it. Those Mopar boys are a dime a dozen always wanting to "race" you. Street light wars are in their wheelhouse. Big deal. You have the better car by far.

P.S. don't be calling out any soccer moms in there Teslas either. They too will eat your lunch from light to light lol.
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #16
heyitsnewtome
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
To OP , More power no good unless you can stick it. And wider stickier track tires won't help much unless warmed up pretty well. From a roll it would have been a different story. M cars are autobahn monsters in a high speed pull. Throw a couple curves in there and you will destroy any Charger or Challenger. I wouldn't fret about it. Those Mopar boys are a dime a dozen always wanting to "race" you. Street light wars are in their wheelhouse. Big deal. You have the better car by far.

P.S. don't be calling out any soccer moms in there Teslas either. They too will eat your lunch from light to light lol.
Haha. Yeah, I'm aware of the Tesla power. Test drive ok when my wife was looking for a new car. Had it not been for how ass ugly they are we may have ended up with one.

Thanks for all the comments.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 11:50 PM   #17
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep

Quote:
I raced one. I'm stock dct. It ate me alive. Keep in mind I've beat 2018+GT 10 speeds, scat packs, whatever, but the c8 corvette put a bus length on me. Some guy in my neighborhood got one a while afo
Well that's depressing. I haven't really been challenged much with the local Mopar kitty boys or the Camaro and Mustang crowd, so was hoping his base C8 would be a little more vulnerable.

I'm running a custom E85 tune with xHP DCT tune, so maybe it will be close. Just really rubs me the wrong way how he talks shit about a ride that hasn't even delivered and has less power/Tq than what I should be putting down.

Regardless, this is why I just keep my mouth shut. Better to be humble and then surprise people, instead of talking a ton of trash and getting embarrassed later on.
      02-28-2021, 12:17 AM   #18
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post
Quote:
Well that's depressing. I haven't really been challenged much with the local Mopar kitty boys or the Camaro and Mustang crowd, so was hoping his base C8 would be a little more vulnerable.

I'm running a custom E85 tune with xHP DCT tune, so maybe it will be close. Just really rubs me the wrong way how he talks shit about a ride that hasn't even delivered and has less power/Tq than what I should be putting down.

Regardless, this is why I just keep my mouth shut. Better to be humble and then surprise people, instead of talking a ton of trash and getting embarrassed later on.
With those mods it'll be interesting. Keep in mind he has a traction advantage unless you're running r888/cup2 so if you race do it from a higher speed roll, that c8 sticks like AWD
Appreciate 1
TideMD291.50
      03-02-2021, 12:27 PM   #19
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep

Quote:
With those mods it'll be interesting. Keep in mind he has a traction advantage unless you're running r888/cup2 so if you race do it from a higher speed roll, that c8 sticks like AWD
Yeah, no way I'd expect to win from a launch. The roll race might be closer than he might expect, though.

Of course, now I have the itch to start researching new wheels to optimize tire size and hopefully make the power more useable from a dig.
      03-07-2021, 09:26 PM   #20
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

It happens. I got smoked by a newer S6 last year. It was on damp roads. Today, I crushed a Model 3. No badging, so I'm guessing it wasn't a the more powerful duel motor.