R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #45
mrrm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

sh55 --take a look at exo's post 39

I thought I too had first gen, but exo's measurement in 6th gear (w/ the boot pulled up) convinced me I have the second gen.

Let me us know what measurement you get.

Thx.
Matthew
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #46
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

I'm going to revive this old thread as I had my "Gen1" lever replaced with a "Gen2" lever today.

I should note that I recently purchased an alcantara shift and ebrake boot set from a forum member. The shift boot had the OE black leather knob attached and I sent the seller my core. I noticed immediately that my "new" knob was rotated counter-clockwise compared to the knob that I had installed previously.

I got a call from the shop after the Gen2 install saying that the problem was even worse than before. I assumed that they meant the lean problem was worse. I asked them for a pic and it's attached below.

It seems that the lever is now centered. This is good. But now the counter-clockwise rotation of the knob is much worse. I thought that there might be some rotational adjustment in the lever, but the shop said there isn't any.

I have more hours invested in installing this thing than I'd like already. I intended to replace my knob with a 3D design unit anyway, but this might force my hand to make it happen sooner. But I'm not sure how that knob aligns on the lever. If it has the same pin for alignment, I might need another solution.

I think I'm done with UUC products.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #47
ALMP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SO/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
I'm going to revive this old thread as I had my "Gen1" lever replaced with a "Gen2" lever today.

I should note that I recently purchased an alcantara shift and ebrake boot set from a forum member. The shift boot had the OE black leather knob attached and I sent the seller my core. I noticed immediately that my "new" knob was rotated counter-clockwise compared to the knob that I had installed previously.

I got a call from the shop after the Gen2 install saying that the problem was even worse than before. I assumed that they meant the lean problem was worse. I asked them for a pic and it's attached below.

It seems that the lever is now centered. This is good. But now the counter-clockwise rotation of the knob is much worse. I thought that there might be some rotational adjustment in the lever, but the shop said there isn't any.

I have more hours invested in installing this thing than I'd like already. I intended to replace my knob with a 3D design unit anyway, but this might force my hand to make it happen sooner. But I'm not sure how that knob aligns on the lever. If it has the same pin for alignment, I might need another solution.

I think I'm done with UUC products.

I don't see this having anything to do with the shift lever but rather the shift knob.

How much lower can you adjust the Evo from stock height?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #48
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMP View Post
I don't see this having anything to do with the shift lever but rather the shift knob.

The same knob was less twisted on a different lever yesterday. As the lever is the only thing that changed, I wouldn't say its a problem with the knob. But it's possible that a modification to the knob could correct the issue

I haven't played with the vertical adjustment so I can't tell you how much range there is but I'm sure some other users have
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #49
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
Quote:

The same knob was less twisted on a different lever yesterday. As the lever is the only thing that changed, I wouldn't say its a problem with the knob. But it's possible that a modification to the knob could correct the issue

I haven't played with the vertical adjustment so I can't tell you how much range there is but I'm sure some other users have
Try playing with the height adjustment nut. I believe you can straighten out the notch at the top of the shaft so that the knob will not be twisted.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #50
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
Try playing with the height adjustment nut. I believe you can straighten out the notch at the top of the shaft so that the knob will not be twisted.
I have yet to pick up the car, but I'll certainly try. The shop said that there is a pin that runs through both parts that prevents any rotation but hopefully they overlooked something.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #51
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
Quote:
I have yet to pick up the car, but I'll certainly try. The shop said that there is a pin that runs through both parts that prevents any rotation but hopefully they overlooked something.
I'll take a look again as well. I adjusted the height of mine at some point. It's during this adjustment that I realized that I somehow rotated the shaft and the notch was no longer straight. I am using an aftermarket knob so it doesn't have to straight for me so I didn't bother with it after that.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #52
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll take a look again as well. I adjusted the height of mine at some point. It's during this adjustment that I realized that I somehow rotated the shaft and the notch was no longer straight. I am using an aftermarket knob so it doesn't have to straight for me so I didn't bother with it after that.
I looked at it some last night/this morning. It does seem that there is some adjustability in the rotation of the lever, but due to the design, I think it'll center over time.

The lever is made up of two main parts, the upper and lower lever. The lower lever seems to have a mortise cut in it. The upper lever slips over the lower lever and the screw that UUC say not to remove passes through both the upper and lower lever. The upper and lower halves are isolated from one another somewhat by a silicone sleeve. This is what the height adjustment nut tightens against. I think that it also dampens vibration in the lever.

Anyway, it's pretty clear that the notch in the top of the lever was machined incorrectly. The anti-rotation screw faces north/south, but the groove runs NE/SW instead of east/west.

That said, I'm very happy with the lever location on the gen2 part.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #53
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I looked yesterday and there appeared to be ~1/2" of vertical adjustment in the lever
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #54
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 2015

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty P View Post
Let me fix this for you:
0=rowboat
1=stock M3
10=Honda S2000
My S2000 has 114K and still shifts like when it was new. I agree the M3 could use some help guess the short kit is next. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #55
mrrm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

If your OE knob snapped-in to that position, the shaft needs to turned. Yes, it is staked, but the entire thing can shift/twist 10-15 degrees to the right or left.

Loosen the large nut at the base (something like 27mm). Then take a screw driver or other metal shaft and position it in the top slot (where the OE shift knob snaps in).

Turn the slot as needed to get it properly aligned (should be positioned like so ----- from left to right), and then fully tighten the lower nut.

Keep at it until your knob snaps on straight. No one should have to go through life w/ a twisted knob.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #56
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrm3
If your OE knob snapped-in to that position, the shaft needs to turned. Yes, it is staked, but the entire thing can shift/twist 10-15 degrees to the right or left.

Loosen the large nut at the base (something like 27mm). Then take a screw driver or other metal shaft and position it in the top slot (where the OE shift knob snaps in).

Turn the slot as needed to get it properly aligned (should be positioned like so ----- from left to right), and then fully tighten the lower nut.

Keep at it until your knob snaps on straight. No one should have to go through life w/ a twisted knob.
LOL! Bravo! This man is wise beyond his years. Listen to him.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #57
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrm3 View Post

Quote:
LOL! Bravo! This man is wise beyond his years. Listen to him.
You guys have me all wrong... I 100% understand what you're both suggesting that I do. But I am confident in the fact that there isn't enough rotational adjustment built into the lever. Take a look at the attached photo.

The back of the anti-rotation screw is visible. It appears to run perpendicular to the center line of the the car. I believe that this is by design. If you look at the orientation of the knob, even if you could rotate as far clockwise as possible and tighten it all nice, it would still be twisted. I'd go from 30 degrees out of rotation to 15 or so.

But I have my doubts if making this adjustment would hold over time because of how the two halves are held together. As mentioned above, the "locking nut" simply compresses the silicone isolating sleeve against both halves of the lever.

If the silicone sleeve is somehow attached to the upper (outer) half of the lever, then there's some chance that the rotational adjustment will hold. If the silicone sleeve is floating, it's possible that the adjustment will hold. If the silicone sleeve is somehow attached to the lower (inner) half of the lever then it's very unlikely that the adjustment will hold.

I'm going to take apart the Gen1 lever and (perhaps) swap out the Gen1 upper half with the upper half on the Gen2 lever depending on what I find out.

I do appreciate the suggestions nonetheless
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #58
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Hi Guys

Just found this great thread and came to know about version 1 and 2 and leaning issues, i just bought UUC SSK friday and which version is the latest and greatest?

Thanks
      05-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #59
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Hi Guys

Just found this great thread and came to know about version 1 and 2 and leaning issues, i just bought UUC SSK friday and which version is the latest and greatest?

Thanks
Version 1 or Version 2? The latest would be version 2. If there is a Version 3, then that would be later still.

Everything in the known universe kind of works that way; unless you're a quantum physicist.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #60
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Version 1 or Version 2? The latest would be version 2. If there is a Version 3, then that would be later still.

Everything in the known universe kind of works that way; unless you're a quantum physicist.
Don't know version number but UUC confirned it's the latest one and all prior issues fixed
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #61
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Just had it installed today and there is a big click noise on each shifts , is that normal ? Although it looks centered the knob is slightly tilted to the right based on the gear pattern, I am using stock knob.

The clicking noise is pretty big and although it shifts great I am irritated with the noise , are you facing same issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #62
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Just had it installed today and there is a big click noise on each shifts , is that normal ? Although it looks centered the knob is slightly tilted to the right based on the gear pattern, I am using stock knob.

The clicking noise is pretty big and although it shifts great I am irritated with the noise , are you facing same issue?
Clicking?

I know the sound when you row the gear into the gate is a bit loud, but I wouldn't describe it quite as a click. It does sound a bit metallic.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #63
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
Clicking?

I know the sound when you row the gear into the gate is a bit loud, but I wouldn't describe it quite as a click. It does sound a bit metallic.
Yes you are correct, it is metallic noise , is that normal?

Secondly going by the gear pattern in neutral it's slightly tilted towards right , again is that normal because I am using stock knob and boot and there is no adjustment to move knob.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #64
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Yes you are correct, it is metallic noise , is that normal?

Secondly going by the gear pattern in neutral it's slightly tilted towards right , again is that normal because I am using stock knob and boot and there is no adjustment to move knob.
We found too many issues with the UUC, it's been a long time since we installed one. I remember the pronounced metallic sound every shift, but the others I can't comment.

Maybe exo-shell and lewz4 can chime in. Both have had UUC.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #65
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Here are my observations from UUC SSK

1. Shifter is still not 100% straight , the shifter handle may be straight but if you look at the shift knob its not aligned straight and there is a slight inclination to the right and my installer says it cannot be adjusted, if i need to the shift knob to be aligned straight then i need to buy a custom knob.

2. Shifts are very short and precise , no effort required but mechanical noise is large when the shift falls into each gate, specially 2nd and 4th, is this normal?

3. Shifter height is barely reduced from stock even at the lowest height level, dissapointed as i wanted to lower the height by an inch or so.

4. I am getting additional noise from shifter and my installer says its because of all metal parts and wont be as quiet as factory shifter ( not talking about mechanical noise per point 2 above), normal?

All UUC SSK owners please respond to my above observations please
      06-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #66
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Looks like it was an install issue where the locking nut was not tight as it is supposed to be and after adjusting the shifter and keeping it at its lowest height the shift knob sits straight and mechanical noise has been reduced to a great extent, however there is a grinding noise from 1-2 shift at high rpm. Overall happy with the shifter and it shifts great.