Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

11-20-2018, 03:06 AM   #1
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 MSport, '16 M3 ZCP

Outdoor car cover?

Unfortunately I will be parking my car outside this winter and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the BMW outside cover for daily or more frequent use?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...SABEgJDevD_BwE

I will probably put it on once or twice a week and longer when I'm traveling. I live in Nashville so it's random weather.

Did it scratch your car?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:54 AM   #2
dynamite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 - 6MT

It doesnt scratch your car, but this cover is fitting tight on rear. You have to stretch it to cover back of your car.
Appreciate 1
Waoudi23.00
      11-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #3
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
I went with a California car cover - the outdoor model.
stormweave in tan for $230
nice and soft on the inside and it's 4 layers, so should protect from light hail.
Appreciate 1
Waoudi23.00
      11-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waoudi View Post
Did it scratch your car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamite View Post
It doesnt scratch your car, but this cover is fitting tight on rear. You have to stretch it to cover back of your car.
Scratching your car is not a function of the cover material itself, but the result of dust and dirt getting under your cover and then having the cover being blown by wind. The cover will move from the wind, up and down and back and forth, and the the trapped abrasives will act like fine sandpaper. The longer the cover is on, the more likely this is to happen.

The tighter a car cover fits, the less it will move, resulting in less of the sandpaper effect. So you really want the cover to be as tight as possible.

Appreciate 2
      11-21-2018, 04:24 AM   #5
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 MSport, '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Would you buy again?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Scratching your car is not a function of the cover material itself, but the result of dust and dirt getting under your cover and then having the cover being blown by wind. The cover will move from the wind, up and down and back and forth, and the the trapped abrasives will act like fine sandpaper. The longer the cover is on, the more likely this is to happen.

The tighter a car cover fits, the less it will move, resulting in less of the sandpaper effect. So you really want the cover to be as tight as possible.
I think it’s also important for the vehicle to be clean before putting on the cover. It seems like otherwise dirt would be getting trapped in the soft material inside the cover and contribute to swirls and scratches. If you want to give the car a quick waterless wash before covering, take a look at AMMO frothe - looks like it would be good for this purpose.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosd View Post
I think it’s also important for the vehicle to be clean before putting on the cover. It seems like otherwise dirt would be getting trapped in the soft material inside the cover and contribute to swirls and scratches. If you want to give the car a quick waterless wash before covering, take a look at AMMO frothe - looks like it would be good for this purpose.
You're right and I should have mentioned this. I never put the the cover on unless the car is clean. You definitely don't want to have existing dirt on the car get ground into the paint by the cover.

Appreciate 0