Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-24-2023, 09:43 PM   #1
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Aftermarket AA/CP Nav screen install - feedback on 12.3" solution

After much nagging from the family that our F80 is the only pre-historic vehicle without an integrated AA/CP (Android Auto / Apply CarPlay) or a decently sized nav screen, I jumped into the world of aftermarket Multimedia Nav Systems. I ended up replacing my OEM 8.8" iDrive screen with a 12.3" Android touchscreen.
I month later, the only thing I can say is that I wish I had done this sooner.

Below is a view from the driver side chin-level. At eye level, the top of the screen is flush with the edge of the hood and fender.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tunr8muwMK1JquM16

Below are the parts that came with the kit:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JvZ7Yik2KtK4dAA99

Key initial requirements:
  • I had rented cars with non-touch AA/CP, and being stuck with iDrive-type knob interface sucked. I strongly preferred to upgrade to a full-touch AA/CP screen.
  • The stock position of the F80 screen is about 2-3" further than one can comfortably reach with a hand. Thus, some sort of an accommodation to bring the screen forward a few inches would be best.
  • I have the upgraded HK audio package in the car, so OEM-quality sound (or better) was highly desirable.
  • Ability to control sound and song selection during play with steering wheel inputs was highly desirable.
  • Ability to preserve all existing BMW functionality, including FM radio, displayed through the OEM screen was required.
  • I have the HUD in the car, so integration with HUD would be extra nice.

The good:
  • Everything works as I wanted, and works well.
  • 12.3" screen's location is +2" offset towards the front of the dashboard, and sits flush with the edge of the dash. This makes it easier to reach, and more practical to interact with the screen.
  • Touch screen is very responsive in native mode (built-in Nav, and whatever other apps you care to install), as well as in AA/CP modes.
  • Both wireless (easier) and wired (charges your phones) AA/CP are supported.
  • Install was fairly straight forward. First time ever, it took me ~15 minutes to remove/reinstall the trip panels to get to the screen and NBT box, and maybe 3-4 hours to wire and debut everything. Second time around. it would be a <1.5 hour job, start to finish.
  • Sound works great. You can BT connect to either the old OEM NBT or the new Screen and stream from there.
  • I got all the features I wanted, mines HUD integration. HUD is still restricted to the built-in archaic BMW Nav that I had stopped using years ago. That's unfortunate, but makes certain sense, and I'm fine with that.

The meah:
  • There is some windshield glare on the screen at night. 90% mitigated if you switch "dark mode", but there is still some.
  • As mentioned above, HUD is not integrated.
  • F80s lack OEM "Google talk / Siri" button on the steering wheel. As a work-around, you can enable voice activated prompts on your phone, or touch "mic" button on the screen.

More install details later.

Feel free to ask here, or PM me, if you have any Qs.

HTH,
a

P.S.: Link to the screen that I purchased and installed: https://avinusa.com/12-30-multimedia...2-f83-f84.html

Last edited by afadeev; 11-25-2023 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
CSBM52756.00