Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

06-29-2021, 10:04 PM   #1
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

WTB - M4

Hello,

owned a E92 335i previously and now looking to get a E92 M3 or F82 M4
Really like the sound from the V8 but the look in M4 is

with the M4, interested in the Competition pack with the new wheels/LED tail light and ICON headlight but I found a bit hard to justify the extra cost

What's your thoughts?
Should I just get a normal M4 and upgrade the lights?
Does the new programming in transmission and damper setting etc worth the extra money?

Any major concerns with the earlier M4 as they seem to be cheaper to get? e.g. 2014 - 2015 production

Also interested in the Apple Carplay, which year M4 start getting the iD5 or above so that Apple Carplay is available?

Many thanks for your input.

By the way, I am in Perth and open to any offers for M4 or a decent E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 05:13 AM   #2
Ski1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Hi Asn,
I've just bought an F80 M3 after loving an E92 M3 for 4 years.
- I bought a 2014 model and the dealership just updated the entire software load (iStep) to 2021
- The EDC dampers are much more refined that the 2014 SW load - now as comfortable as the e92 was in 'comfort'
- you will need 2016 for AppleCarplay native in the car
- or do as I will and install a $320 adaptor unit that will allow full screen Carplay
- the only tactile advantage of the later Comp that I could assess was slightly adjusted sway bars (and springs?) - but people are saying this is quite nuanced
- I didn't want 20inch wheels (comfort, track work)
- BootMod and other 'cheap' applications can give you much more of a step up in power than Comp vs non-comp - if it is absolute power you are chasing
- coming from E92 M3 - I'm in no rush for any power mod as the step up to F80 performance is quite noticable
- and I'm still a huge e92 m3 fan - but these are my impressions
- I had M3 world full exhaust on E92, so I'm a sound fan. But I was happy with the M Performance Exhaust for F80 (bought a version with this) and whilst not as awesome as E92, the MPE is really very good for a turbo 6. It sound noisy and angry at full tilt on Sport (valves open).
- I found the price difference between E9X and F80 was such that I was happy to move to F80
- As E92 owner I've bagged F80 for a few years, till I owned one...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 09:17 PM   #3
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski1 View Post
Hi Asn,
I've just bought an F80 M3 after loving an E92 M3 for 4 years.
- I bought a 2014 model and the dealership just updated the entire software load (iStep) to 2021
- The EDC dampers are much more refined that the 2014 SW load - now as comfortable as the e92 was in 'comfort'
- you will need 2016 for AppleCarplay native in the car
- or do as I will and install a $320 adaptor unit that will allow full screen Carplay
- the only tactile advantage of the later Comp that I could assess was slightly adjusted sway bars (and springs?) - but people are saying this is quite nuanced
- I didn't want 20inch wheels (comfort, track work)
- BootMod and other 'cheap' applications can give you much more of a step up in power than Comp vs non-comp - if it is absolute power you are chasing
- coming from E92 M3 - I'm in no rush for any power mod as the step up to F80 performance is quite noticable
- and I'm still a huge e92 m3 fan - but these are my impressions
- I had M3 world full exhaust on E92, so I'm a sound fan. But I was happy with the M Performance Exhaust for F80 (bought a version with this) and whilst not as awesome as E92, the MPE is really very good for a turbo 6. It sound noisy and angry at full tilt on Sport (valves open).
- I found the price difference between E9X and F80 was such that I was happy to move to F80
- As E92 owner I've bagged F80 for a few years, till I owned one...
Hello Ski
Thanks for the input

With the EDC, I wonder does it matters (comp vs non comp) if I may change the suspension anyway?

Apple Carplay, afaik, has to be iD5 or above, and BMW starts putting iD5 in the cars since around July or Aug 2016, so, early models in 2016 (Jan-June) probably not compatible with Apply Carplay. Anyone owning one in 2016 may confirm?

Is your adaptor for Carplay from the Bimmertech MMI?

with mods, I think F82 has so much power and torque already, no plan for power but thinking something for the exhaust, and getting the right setup for the wheels (I don't like seeing a big gap there between the tyres and the fenders )
- AA equal length midpipe seems having a good exhaust note? anyone in Aus did it?

I really like the E92 M3, great sound, hydraulic steering, good vehicle size (not too long), the rear look better than F82 too, yet the front in F82 is awesome!
However, being a collectible item now, the price for a decent E92 M3 is just way too high....if i were to spend $70k+, I prefer a newer model...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 12:31 AM   #4
3lucidus
Eat Sleep Trance
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ASN View Post
Hello Ski

Apple Carplay, afaik, has to be iD5 or above, and BMW starts putting iD5 in the cars since around July or Aug 2016, so, early models in 2016 (Jan-June) probably not compatible with Apply Carplay. Anyone owning one in 2016 may confirm?

Is your adaptor for Carplay from the Bimmertech MMI?

- AA equal length midpipe seems having a good exhaust note? anyone in Aus did it?

i seen someone said they bought the both the gen1 AA mid pipe and the Equal lengh pipe to compare but never posted afterwards.

also i've been lurking as i'm kind of in the same boat, i found that retrofitmybimmer will sell you the updated i drive plug and play pre coded for your vin so you can have the apple car play native... the MMI using AUX for the audio and it degrades the sound (audiophile checking in)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 02:39 AM   #5
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lucidus View Post
i seen someone said they bought the both the gen1 AA mid pipe and the Equal lengh pipe to compare but never posted afterwards.

also i've been lurking as i'm kind of in the same boat, i found that retrofitmybimmer will sell you the updated i drive plug and play pre coded for your vin so you can have the apple car play native... the MMI using AUX for the audio and it degrades the sound (audiophile checking in)
https://retrofitmybimmer.com/
$1300 USD
Question is whether they ship to Aus?

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1606599&page=2
Not sure if anyone in Aus did it?

hmm...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 03:43 AM   #6
3lucidus
Eat Sleep Trance
Australia
Rep

Quote:
https://retrofitmybimmer.com/
$1300 USD
Question is whether they ship to Aus?

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1606599&page=2
Not sure if anyone in Aus did it?

hmm...
send them a message on insta i guess, if they dont, i've found a seller on ebay who does the same thing
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 04:52 AM   #7
Ski1
Private First Class
Rep

Plug this into AliExpress search bar for Apple CarPlan retrofit option for the pre-2016 cars:

"Wireless CarPlay Android Auto for BMW F20 F21 F22 F23 F30 F31 F32 F33 F34 F36 F01F56 NBT CIC EVO Mirrorlink IOS"
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 07:20 AM   #8
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
M4 all the way!

Keep in mind pre mid 2019 M4s don't have a locked ECU so they can be tuned easily!

With everyone tuning these cars, it can be hard to find one that was not molested!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #9
3lucidus
Eat Sleep Trance
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski1 View Post
Plug this into AliExpress search bar for Apple CarPlan retrofit option for the pre-2016 cars:

"Wireless CarPlay Android Auto for BMW F20 F21 F22 F23 F30 F31 F32 F33 F34 F36 F01F56 NBT CIC EVO Mirrorlink IOS"
yeah this is the box, which utilises the AUX input for music, wont sound as good as a retrofit
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #10
ArialBlack
Enlisted Member
Cote DIvoire
Rep

Quote:
Hello,

owned a E92 335i previously and now looking to get a E92 M3 or F82 M4
Really like the sound from the V8 but the look in M4 is

with the M4, interested in the Competition pack with the new wheels/LED tail light and ICON headlight but I found a bit hard to justify the extra cost

What's your thoughts?
Should I just get a normal M4 and upgrade the lights?
Does the new programming in transmission and damper setting etc worth the extra money?

Any major concerns with the earlier M4 as they seem to be cheaper to get? e.g. 2014 - 2015 production

Also interested in the Apple Carplay, which year M4 start getting the iD5 or above so that Apple Carplay is available?

Many thanks for your input.

By the way, I am in Perth and open to any offers for M4 or a decent E92 M3
Personally would go and get the comp pack with the new ICONs and LCI2 LED taillights. It updates the look of the car and if you compare a non-LCI and a LCI2 car side by side, you'll see the massive difference just made by the head/tail lights.

I've been trying to source ICONs in RHD for my 2016 comp for a while now, and Valeo (the spanish company that makes them) have stopped production. Even so, I'm expecting to pay 5-6k for the headlights (incl install) from a guy I know.

CarPlay is a non-issue, paid $700 to have it coded into my car (on a ID4 system) and even then I think I paid too much. ID5 I think was only pushed onto cars after 2017 April

Down the line, comp packs are also easier to sell because they're more desirable, have the latest gadgets the F80/82s had to offer. Imo worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #11
eriktufa
3r1k
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i

I think it depends on the budget. For me I can't afford low kms Competition spec so I had to settle with non-Competition spec low kms.

If you can afford both low kms and Comp spec, go for it!

In saying that, LCI is more desirable regardless if it's Comp spec or non Comp spec.
      07-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #12
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktufa View Post
I think it depends on the budget. For me I can't afford low kms Competition spec so I had to settle with non-Competition spec low kms.

If you can afford both low kms and Comp spec, go for it!

In saying that, LCI is more desirable regardless if it's Comp spec or non Comp spec.
Hey eriktufa, you sold your 335?
I recalled I saw you on the E90 forum few years ago, i havent been coming back to this forum for quite a while, until now i am planning to get a M4 or E92 M3

So, which year of M4 did you get? have you got Carplay in your car?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #13
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lucidus View Post
yeah this is the box, which utilises the AUX input for music, wont sound as good as a retrofit
hmm......so, i need to plug my phone to the AUX port in the car for music?
Apart from the music quality, any other drawbacks?

Seems like the bimmertech MMI is a better option if not doing the proper head unit retrofit
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:49 PM   #14
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArialBlack View Post
Personally would go and get the comp pack with the new ICONs and LCI2 LED taillights.

I've been trying to source ICONs in RHD for my 2016 comp for a while now, and Valeo (the spanish company that makes them) have stopped production. Even so, I'm expecting to pay 5-6k for the headlights (incl install) from a guy I know.

CarPlay is a non-issue, paid $700 to have it coded into my car (on a ID4 system) and even then I think I paid too much. ID5 I think was only pushed onto cars after 2017 April
Yes, love the ICON headlight and the new tail light
But only the newer model comes with these light and the price is usually $80k+
Thought about getting the 2014-2016 model, and just retrofit the tail light as its not that expensive but the ICON is like $6k which is too much.

How did you coded Carplay with iD4? i thought iD4 doesnt have the required hardware to support Carplay funtion
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 10:39 PM   #15
3lucidus
Eat Sleep Trance
Australia
Rep

Quote:
hmm......so, i need to plug my phone to the AUX port in the car for music?
Apart from the music quality, any other drawbacks?

Seems like the bimmertech MMI is a better option if not doing the proper head unit retrofit
thats pretty much it, but the box you get in the retrofit kit you need to remove anyway to install the MMI box so effort wise MMI requires more.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/333345612994

EDIT: with the MMI box you need to click some sequence of buttons to switch to the MMI which is where the car play programming is located, then you need to switch back to bmw for other settings etc. can watch videos on it

Last edited by 3lucidus; 07-01-2021 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:48 PM   #16
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

I have a non-ZCP M3 2016 LCI which has IDrive 4.2 but an NBT-EVO head unit. I had it updated to the latest iStep version (like I did with my prior E90 M3) and the changes were noticeable, more refined, less spikey and feels much more developed than the 2015 software did.

Following that I had Rob @ EasyBimmerCoding remote in and update me to IDrive 6 and full screen Apple CarPlay. Worked a treat and brings the car up to date.

Now I'm eyeing off various m-performance upgrades like steering wheels, spoilers and the likes and probably an equal length mid pipe at some point too. I don't miss having the comp pack updates on my daily with Melbourne's broken tarmac. If I want better handling I'll grab some bilstein's.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 12:11 AM   #17
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
I have a non-ZCP M3 2016 LCI which has IDrive 4.2 but an NBT-EVO head unit. I had it updated to the latest iStep version (like I did with my prior E90 M3) and the changes were noticeable, more refined, less spikey and feels much more developed than the 2015 software did.

Following that I had Rob @ EasyBimmerCoding remote in and update me to IDrive 6 and full screen Apple CarPlay. Worked a treat and brings the car up to date.

Now I'm eyeing off various m-performance upgrades like steering wheels, spoilers and the likes and probably an equal length mid pipe at some point too. I don't miss having the comp pack updates on my daily with Melbourne's broken tarmac. If I want better handling I'll grab some bilstein's.
i thought iD4 is just NBT but not NBT EVO head unit?
So, you dont have to change the head unit and just some coding from ROb and your iDrive became iD6 with full screen Carplay? wow

Yeah, thought about getting an older model, then:
- coilover (bonus to adjust the ride height and flexible with future wheel setup)
- retrofit the LED tail light (wont be able to do the ICON headlight as they are too expensive)
- get the Carplay working

but need to weigh up the extra costs for these and may better off just get the competition pack...saw the KW at around $5k unless i ditch the OEM EDC function?

Speaking with the road condition, Perth is worse.....
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 12:51 AM   #18
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

i thought iD4 is just NBT but not NBT EVO head unit?
So, you dont have to change the head unit and just some coding from ROb and your iDrive became iD6 with full screen Carplay? wow

Yeah, thought about getting an older model, then:
- coilover (bonus to adjust the ride height and flexible with future wheel setup)
- retrofit the LED tail light (wont be able to do the ICON headlight as they are too expensive)
- get the Carplay working

but need to weigh up the extra costs for these and may better off just get the competition pack...saw the KW at around $5k unless i ditch the OEM EDC function?

Speaking with the road condition, Perth is worse.....
Some LCI models shipped with NBT EVO hardware that can run IDrive 6 with just a $20 wifi aerial you can fit yourself in 20 mins. If you'd send the VIN of the car you're considering to Rob he can check.

Competition pack has seatbelts with M stripes, open seat backs, different exhaust and the ECU has more pops and bangs, the handling is more tied down with newer dampers and different springs and roll bars so is a little different to base car.

The later CS had a mishmash of competition dampers, standard front sway bar and competition rear bar plus a mix of springs and custom coding and 19/20" staggered wheels.

It seems like throwing bilstein B6's damptronic (keeping EDC) on for around 3-4K with Eibach springs is a good affordable option.

The big difference for seeking comfort in a daily driver is to get the latest iStep update, Michelin PS4S's filled to 30-32PSI and also the wheel size. Most love the look of the 20" wheels but they make the ride brittle. 19" is better and 18" best of all.

Good luck! There will be a few around and the beauty is they are all good and just a few tweaks can make them a great daily like others have said.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 02:26 AM   #19
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Some LCI models shipped with NBT EVO hardware that can run IDrive 6 with just a $20 wifi aerial you can fit yourself in 20 mins. If you'd send the VIN of the car you're considering to Rob he can check.

Competition pack has seatbelts with M stripes, open seat backs, different exhaust and the ECU has more pops and bangs, the handling is more tied down with newer dampers and different springs and roll bars so is a little different to base car.

The later CS had a mishmash of competition dampers, standard front sway bar and competition rear bar plus a mix of springs and custom coding and 19/20" staggered wheels.

It seems like throwing bilstein B6's damptronic (keeping EDC) on for around 3-4K with Eibach springs is a good affordable option.

The big difference for seeking comfort in a daily driver is to get the latest iStep update, Michelin PS4S's filled to 30-32PSI and also the wheel size. Most love the look of the 20" wheels but they make the ride brittle. 19" is better and 18" best of all.

Good luck! There will be a few around and the beauty is they are all good and just a few tweaks can make them a great daily like others have said.
very informative

hmm, I think the LCI for M4 only comes after 2017 or so....but will message Rob with the VIN to check

Having said that, I found most of the VIN decoded online are coming back with error message saying such vin doesnt exist when I try to decode some vins.....

Main reason why i want the competition pack may just be the wheels, other than that
ICON headlight not necessarily on the comp pack and retrofit is like $6k
I saw the aftermarket CS tail light at $700ish
Exhaust, interested in that equal length midpipe (seems using stock muffler still generating good sound )

18" wheels is nice, accelerates much faster than the 19" on my old 335i but then aren't 18" look too small on the F series? also the gap between the tyres and fenders is huge (coilover needed )
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 02:45 AM   #20
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

very informative

hmm, I think the LCI for M4 only comes after 2017 or so....but will message Rob with the VIN to check

Having said that, I found most of the VIN decoded online are coming back with error message saying such vin doesnt exist when I try to decode some vins.....

Main reason why i want the competition pack may just be the wheels, other than that
ICON headlight not necessarily on the comp pack and retrofit is like $6k
I saw the aftermarket CS tail light at $700ish
Exhaust, interested in that equal length midpipe (seems using stock muffler still generating good sound )

18" wheels is nice, accelerates much faster than the 19" on my old 335i but then aren't 18" look too small on the F series? also the gap between the tyres and fenders is huge (coilover needed )
The standard 18" wheel was the 513M, if you search the tyres look meaty. The Racing M4 also had 18's I think… I know big wheels are what people want these days though
Appreciate 0