Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-31-2021, 12:35 AM   #1
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
Bimmerworld Monoball Front Upper Control Arm Bearing Kit

Has anyone here installed this part and if so how did it perform. Currently running Ohlinds R&T. Thanks guys.

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 02:09 AM   #2
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigito View Post
Has anyone here installed this part and if so how did it perform. Currently running Ohlinds R&T. Thanks guys.
Skip the monoball into the stock arm and just replace the entire arm from SPL.

Basically you'll feel more connected to the road and have more responsive and precise steering.

https://www.splparts.com/products/bm...sion-rods.html
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I have those bushings on four M3s, one of the very few mods which only brings positives.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I have them. Great mod that tightened up the front end under steering and braking. OEM plus solution that is better than the SPL arms as the BimmerWorld monoballs are sealed and you get piece of mind in keeping the factory arm. Unless it's a full track car, I don't see the point in replacing the arm fully.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 09:20 AM   #5
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
I have them. Great mod that tightened up the front end under steering and braking. OEM plus solution that is better than the SPL arms as the BimmerWorld monoballs are sealed and you get piece of mind in keeping the factory arm. Unless it's a full track car, I don't see the point in replacing the arm fully.
I was originally hesitant to do SPL stuff as I thought it would be too much. However, after installing the entire SPL catalog, there has been no additional NVH with running the full system.

Everything feels tightened up. The car feels like a 991.1 GT3RS in terms of overall tightness and steering response.

I've done monoballs before and with the stock arms. The result was the steering just felt heavier and hard braking felt better. Steering feedback wasn't fully there.

However, when I replaced the full arm, it immediately became apparent that the full arm is the way to go. The full arm is like the monoball upgrade on steroids with none of the drawbacks.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 01:36 PM   #6
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I was originally hesitant to do SPL stuff as I thought it would be too much. However, after installing the entire SPL catalog, there has been no additional NVH with running the full system.

Everything feels tightened up. The car feels like a 991.1 GT3RS in terms of overall tightness and steering response.

I've done monoballs before and with the stock arms. The result was the steering just felt heavier and hard braking felt better. Steering feedback wasn't fully there.

However, when I replaced the full arm, it immediately became apparent that the full arm is the way to go. The full arm is like the monoball upgrade on steroids with none of the drawbacks.
I wonder how much of that is the lower control arm and the upper rear arms.
I wouldn't think that there'd be much flex in the thrust arm itself? And the other end is a ball joint anyway.

I did the Fall Line rear links because I wanted the rod ends booted. I've killed exposed heim joints quickly on street cars that saw rain/dirt/etc in daily driving. I wonder how hard it would be to boot the large rod ends on those SPL front lower control arms with something from this company:

https://www.fkrodends.com/products/s...roducts/boots/
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
Quote:

I wonder how much of that is the lower control arm and the upper rear arms.
I wouldn't think that there'd be much flex in the thrust arm itself? And the other end is a ball joint anyway.

I did the Fall Line rear links because I wanted the rod ends booted. I've killed exposed heim joints quickly on street cars that saw rain/dirt/etc in daily driving. I wonder how hard it would be to boot the large rod ends on those SPL front lower control arms with something from this company:

https://www.fkrodends.com/products/s...roducts/boots/
Those should fit just fine as SPL uses FK bearings

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 08:11 AM   #8
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Those should fit just fine as SPL uses FK bearings
Might need something special for the lower control arm, since it is apparently pressed into the arm. Those boots are designed for the other links with a ~17mm shaft.

If you car really feels like a GT3 it might be worth it. I will probably do the other rear links at some point, so we'll see what does what. My car is already tighter and much more responsive with just the toe links and rear trailing arms.
Appreciate 0