ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-14-2021, 07:14 PM   #1
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

New CA checks

I didn't want to clutter the CG thread so I figure I'd start a new one here. Found the document for new smog check addition to OBD functionality check. A few of you asked me for more info. If you're tuned and go in for a smog check, you'll get caught.

Due to the following:
Calibration Verification Number (CVN): a number set by OEMs to verify the integrity of the vehicle software
Calibration Identification (Cal-ID): an ID for the software installed on the Electronic Control Unit (ECU)

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/On_Board_...n_10.17.19.pdf
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf

Last edited by Wanted_M; 01-14-2021 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
jpy19801581.50
      01-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #2
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

Will reverting back to OEM specs get detected?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:23 PM   #3
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

As far as I know, If its you're original OEM map then probably yes.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #4
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

It's only a matter of time until cops will start asking us to plug into our OBDII instead of popping our hoods when we get pulled over...

If anyone figures out how to modify a tune to show the stock CVN and CAL ID I will gladly throw you my money!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 10:40 PM   #5
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Well thanks goodness the m is fast out of the box...but I mainly tuned for the gts roar and deleting the cold start..haha bah...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:16 PM   #6
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

imagine all those lease returns that were tuned. I'm sure the dealership can find a way to reset it so it can be resold
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #7
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM3 View Post
It's only a matter of time until cops will start asking us to plug into our OBDII instead of popping our hoods when we get pulled over...

If anyone figures out how to modify a tune to show the stock CVN and CAL ID I will gladly throw you my money!
Nah, the elected govt zealots will require Bluetooth be added to OBDII first. Then they can just walk the traffic jam and start handing out tickets!

Re: showing stock CVN and CalID, it’s only software, so someone should be certainly be able to figure it out!
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 1
HyeM3464.50
      01-18-2021, 07:14 PM   #8
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

For many reasons, including this, I am so glad I no longer live 8n CA
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #9
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
For many reasons, including this, I am so glad I no longer live 8n CA
Don't be too happy, CO is also looking into activating this as they follow CA smog rules.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:00 AM   #10
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Don't be too happy, CO is also looking into activating this as they follow CA smog rules.
It's county dependent, and I live in a red county with no smog checks.
      01-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #11
lvevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Evo 9, Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel733 View Post
In the Evo world, you would have to have the dealer flash your ECU back to stock. Then you would take your car to the Ref station and the Ref would pass you once you told them and showed them the dealer flashed your car back to stock. I'm not sure if the CVN or Cal ID numbers changed back to "stock" / number the smog bar is looking for, which I thought was the CVN. Maybe the Ref noted in the system the "new" CVN / Cal ID number after going back to stock?

Stock Evos were also flagged to go to the Ref station due to a recall on the ECU. Some owners did not get the recall done, so the smog board flagged them to visit the Ref station and the only way to pass was to get the recall done at the dealer (Paper work had to be shown as well).
      01-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #12
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
It's county dependent, and I live in a red county with no smog checks.
Nice, which county is that lol. I'm looking at relocating out of CA in the next few years. Not to get political but I'm tired of the crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvevo View Post
In the Evo world, you would have to have the dealer flash your ECU back to stock. Then you would take your car to the Ref station and the Ref would pass you once you told them and showed them the dealer flashed your car back to stock. I'm not sure if the CVN or Cal ID numbers changed back to "stock" / number the smog bar is looking for, which I thought was the CVN. Maybe the Ref noted in the system the "new" CVN / Cal ID number after going back to stock?

Stock Evos were also flagged to go to the Ref station due to a recall on the ECU. Some owners did not get the recall done, so the smog board flagged them to visit the Ref station and the only way to pass was to get the recall done at the dealer (Paper work had to be shown as well).
I know exactly what you mean, Audi came out with a recall for certain models and S4 was one of them. I had to do the recall as it was smog related and it did change the SW on ECU. CA DMV would not renew your tags unless you submitted a copy of the dealer's invoice stating the update was completed, what a wonderful state we live in.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 01:31 PM   #13
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice, which county is that lol. I'm looking at relocating out of CA in the next few years. Not to get political but I'm tired of the crap.
Pretty much any county in Colorado, except for the counties that compose Denver and Boulder.

I'm in El Paso County, but really, every county other than Douglass, Adams, and a couple others that make up the greater Denver/Boulder area, is not going to have smog checks.

Unfortunately, Denver and Boulder have turned the state blue (not even purple any more, straight blue), and there is always a chance this could effect things on a state level.

All the Californians moving here, voting the same as they voted in CA, and expecting a different result...
PhatLyfe985.00
      01-26-2021, 09:53 AM   #14
blkcow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Is this something that perhaps proTUNING Freaks might be able to answer?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #15
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet11291 View Post
I won't have to smog for years to come but I am curious about this as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 08:39 PM   #16
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I contacted them and they said in order to get the stock CVN and CAL ID to show you have to flash back to the stock map and lock the dme
Appreciate 1
Wanted_M756.00
      01-27-2021, 09:07 PM   #17
blkcow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
I contacted them and they said in order to get the stock CVN and CAL ID to show you have to flash back to the stock map and lock the dme
That’s good to hear. I also contacted them and the person I had help me didn’t seem to know.

When are these checks supposed to start?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #18
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's good to hear. I also contacted them and the person I had help me didn't seem to know.

When are these checks supposed to start?
They started in summer 2020. But you won't fail yet if you have a tune installed. What's going to happen is your car will be flagged and on your next smog check you'll have to go to the state ref. Within the next couple years though they're going to make it to where you'll actually fail the smog test if you have a tune installed
Appreciate 1
Wanted_M756.00
      01-27-2021, 10:07 PM   #19
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is that because BM3 copies your stock map prior to flashing upgraded maps instead of supplying a generic map from another M3/4?
Makes me wonder at what point the state will start checking flash counter.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 11:03 PM   #20
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is that because BM3 copies your stock map prior to flashing upgraded maps instead of supplying a generic map from another M3/4?
Yeah for the most part. However I think they can also grab an oem map from another M3/4 and send it to you if you deleted your stock one. As long as it's an oem file for your model (base/comp/cs etc) and not one they tried to recreate it should be good
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 07:47 AM   #21
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Makes me wonder at what point the state will start checking flash counter.
Flash counter really doesn’t mean you’ve increased emissions which is the point of a smog test is it not?

Also how does this affect legal tuning which gets approved by the government and put into the vehicles papers, because the software wouldn’t be the original either?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 10:43 AM   #22
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post

Also how does this affect legal tuning which gets approved by the government and put into the vehicles papers, because the software wouldn't be the original either?
It shouldn't affect it. They'd most likely put the CAL ID and CVN from those tunes into their system so when your car comes in with that software on it you won't fail
Appreciate 0