Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-11-2022, 05:22 PM   #1
M3CSinWisc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

M3 CS vs. M2 Comp

Probably a dumb comparison, but I'm not wanting to know which one wins on specs and 0-60 times, those are obviously in favor of the M3. Which one would you prefer if it came down to that fun, engagement factor? I'm really torn here, as the CS is an absolutely perfect car, but a big part of me is missing a manual gearbox, and the M2 Comp seems to get all of the hyperbolic accolades for being the "best M car since the E46". So because of that, I'm on the fence about trading in the CS for an M2 Comp (prices on M2 CS are up beyond the stupid level of the stratosphere, so that's not a consideration).

For those who have driven both, what are your insights? How big of a mistake would it be if I made the switch?

If the CS just had a 6MT, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 12:23 AM   #2
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Keep the CS. I've driven both a CS and an M2 comp...the CS is a better car all around. No ability to dial in your suspension with the M2. There is basically zero difference in weight and the CS has far better wheels/tires. Nevermind the fact that depreciation on the Comp will far surpass the CS. The CS is better in every way.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2022, 10:01 AM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I think the CS is a much better car. More sorted suspension, engine, steering, diff. However, I don't underestimate the engagement a 6MT brings on the street! I would probably lose my mind if I did not have a couple 6MT cars!

If I got a M2C I would need to get a ESS linear tune to get me to CS power curves, but that still wouldn't solve the rest of the M2C's deficiencies vs the CS
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2022, 10:28 AM   #4
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

M2C is definitely a riot but I don’t buy into the whole “M2 is the new M3” The M3 has always been the halo car and still continues to be, although it has evolved from a canyon carver into an all out performance / lap time monster. You will absolutely regret making the switch since you have a CS, the M2 will feel like a serious downgrade in a lot of areas. The performance is also handicapped by BMW from factory but this isn’t necessarily a bad thing if you’re looking for street engagement: lower power and lower limits makes it feel more rewarding. That said, the shorter wheel base adds more “feel” on the street and the potential for 6MT adds another layer of engagement. So while you will be giving up a lot by making the switch, there’s a chance that it would be worth it to you if M2C has the driving experience you are looking for. And that’s what matters most - does it make you whole? Forget what any of us have to say.

I am in a similar boat in that I do want a 6MT car in the stable, but it would have to be the right car for 6MT and would run in tandem with the daily car - the M3 CS is just too perfect as a daily. If you could swing it, I think an OG M2 would make a fantastic roommate for the CS. It has the same driving dynamics as the M2C, lower weight, and has a more interesting engine when compared to a handicapped S55.

Last edited by RugbyBro; 02-15-2022 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CSinWisc View Post
Which one would you prefer if it came down to that fun, engagement factor?
Not driven either CS versions of both cars, but I would buy an M2 CS 6MT or build a M2 Competition into a OEM+ CS replica. Won't be much lighter than your F80 CS - it's just that it's got a smaller footprint and for shredding backroads, that's what you want.
      02-15-2022, 11:07 AM   #6
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

CS unless you're specifically looking for a 6MT car. BMW nailed every performance element with the CS, plus I think most would agree that the CS is just a much better looking car. It is also more rare and therefore more unique. Money no object, CS is better, again unless you want a 6MT, then go for the weirdly shaped M2.
Appreciate 2
1FZFE58.50
      02-15-2022, 11:32 AM   #7
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Probably a dumb comparison, but I'm not wanting to know which one wins on specs and 0-60 times, those are obviously in favor of the M3. Which one would you prefer if it came down to that fun, engagement factor? I'm really torn here, as the CS is an absolutely perfect car, but a big part of me is missing a manual gearbox, and the M2 Comp seems to get all of the hyperbolic accolades for being the "best M car since the E46". So because of that, I'm on the fence about trading in the CS for an M2 Comp (prices on M2 CS are up beyond the stupid level of the stratosphere, so that's not a consideration).

For those who have driven both, what are your insights? How big of a mistake would it be if I made the switch?

If the CS just had a 6MT, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
both fun. have/had both. m3 feels faster on the top end.
m2 is much lower rent inside (materials) and the M3 feels more premium inside.
both great looking cars.
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2022, 01:30 PM   #8
M3CSinWisc
Private
Rep

Great insights, and pretty much mirrors the soul searching I've been doing the past couple of weeks. At my age and place in life (41, two little kids, don't want to mod a car ever again, don't need MT) I was pretty certain the CS was the perfect fun car for me, until I drove a friends car with a manual and realized how much I missed that part of the driving experience. I just need to decide if the DCT of the CS is "enough" for me, because everything else about this car is extraordinary.

Interior-wise, I come from almost 10 years of Subaru STi ownership, so I can live with lower-rent interiors, though the Dakota Leather seat material of the M2 looks rather frumpy.

Looks-wise, while I find the M2 appealing, it can't compare w/ the CS, which I think is one of the sexiest cars I've ever seen. The rear end of the M2 is weird, but again, former STi owner here, I can easily live with it

I've decided to keep the CS for the next year, or at least until the end of summer, to see how I feel about it after some more time behind the wheel (car is parked for winter now). Ideally, I'd love to drive an M2 and see what all the fuss is about, so that will be a goal this year as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 01:52 PM   #9
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I just need to decide if the DCT of the CS is "enough" for me, because everything else about this car is extraordinary.

Interior-wise, I come from almost 10 years of Subaru STi ownership, so I can live with lower-rent interiors, though the Dakota Leather seat material of the M2 looks rather frumpy.
For a primarily street driven vehicle, DCT is awesome if you daily and track your car. If you don't do both of those, the MT will always be the more engaging transmission IMO. Definitely drive a M2 (DCT or MT) just to get a feel for the car's chassis dynamics. Has the same wheelbase as an E36 so the chassis itself will feel more lively.

With regard to Dakota leather - yes it is not as "premium" feeling as Merino, however, I have found it to be much harder wearing and less finicky. Merino is much more delicate and wears much worse relative to how it started IMO.
      02-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #10
M3CSinWisc
Private
Rep

From what you read/see on the forums/YouTube, the M2 Comp/CS is on a magical pedestal compared to the M3, and the only thing that's in its favor is the shorter wheel base... is that enough to get enthusiasts frothing at the mouth when you compare the two? Additionally, the M2 Comp and CS get absolutely fellated (both DCT and MT), while it seems like the attributes of M3 CS get completely overshadowed and derided only because of how BMW priced them out of the market at release. Yet, look at how overpriced the M2 CS is currently, but somehow everyone is able to overlook that because of... a shorter wheel base? Makes no sense to me, but whatevs.

I think the trouble I have is that my BMW basis for comparison is a sample size of 1. This CS is the first BMW I've driven, M3 or otherwise, so it's a challenge for me to know if the M2 Comp/CS is a better driving car based purely on what I read, or how much improved this M3 CS is over a Comp or Base M3. So many questions I need answered.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 10:50 AM   #11
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
From what you read/see on the forums/YouTube, the M2 Comp/CS is on a magical pedestal compared to the M3, and the only thing that's in its favor is the shorter wheel base... is that enough to get enthusiasts frothing at the mouth when you compare the two? Additionally, the M2 Comp and CS get absolutely fellated (both DCT and MT), while it seems like the attributes of M3 CS get completely overshadowed and derided only because of how BMW priced them out of the market at release. Yet, look at how overpriced the M2 CS is currently, but somehow everyone is able to overlook that because of... a shorter wheel base? Makes no sense to me, but whatevs.

I think the trouble I have is that my BMW basis for comparison is a sample size of 1. This CS is the first BMW I've driven, M3 or otherwise, so it's a challenge for me to know if the M2 Comp/CS is a better driving car based purely on what I read, or how much improved this M3 CS is over a Comp or Base M3. So many questions I need answered.
So two things:

1. M2 is a lot of hype. Short wheelbase makes it feel like a go kart, which to the majority of casual buyers makes it a “better” car. There is a ton of hypocrisy out there when M2 is discussed vs M3/4. Journalists and internet fanboys love their talking points. That said, you really should test drive one - the effect of the short wheelbase is not insignificant and really does give an impression of nimbleness that isn’t there in the M3/4. And don’t get me wrong here, M2 is a very good car, I’m just saying it is so because M3/4 are very good to begin with so there’s no shame in preferring one or the other.

2. M3/4 CS was the first of modern CS line and was looked over primarily due to pricing. There also aren’t a lot of fundamental changes in hardware so many didn’t / still don’t think it’s worthwhile given the price premium. While the same largely remains true for the M2 CS, the M2C was significantly handicapped from the factory so the addition of adaptive dampers, carbon roof, and full engine tuning made it seem like a more complete car even though the fundamental hardware (engine, trans, suspension) is all bog standard kit from the F8X catalog just as it is for M3/4CS. In terms of praise, the M3/4 CS were highly praised but again the price point was questioned. Now that the M2CS and M5CS have received glowing praise as well, the CS nameplate is starting to build a reputation and I think looking back the M3/4CS will be looked more fondly upon than it was when new.

Last edited by RugbyBro; 02-16-2022 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 3
clutchdj1877.00
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      02-16-2022, 01:33 PM   #12
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep

Agree.
In addition, the M2 comp & M2cs do not have a complete factory intake system (like the M3 does) nor does it have shift lights. The driving experience is great in both. I like the m3 b/c for me its easier to manage on street tires during oversteer. I believe the m2 needs a more experienced/faster hands especially at higher speeds. That's what I mean when I say they are both fun. You really can't lose one way or the other.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 04:22 PM   #13
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
nor does it have shift lights
I swear I've seen M3/4s without functioning shift lights more than once

My 2016 6MT has them
      02-17-2022, 09:59 AM   #14
E46M3forRay
Güdentyte
Rep
Drives: GT3 & 1M

Garage List
2023 Model 3  [6.50]
2022 T4R TRD Pro  [5.00]
2011 1M  [6.67]
2014 991.1 GT3  [10.00]
Quote:

I sold my M3 CS and got the M2 CS. I think i'm the only person that made this move. Some would probably call me a nut case for doing it and i also thought i made the wrong decision because i bought the M2 CS site unseen.

It turns out i love the M2 CS more over my M3 CS (my personal opinion). The only thing i miss from the M3 was the HUD and extended leather. There is a huge difference when it came down to driving feel. The M2 CS is much more agile (yes shorter wheelbase) and more responsive and feels that the car is more connected to the road. You will feel all the bumps and road imperfections on canyon runs.

The part that i hated on the M3 CS was it's sporadic behavior during turn exit. Nonetheless, the M3 CS was a love or hate it for me.

Go with what checks off the box for you. It really is going to boil down to driving experience.

SOLD - MB M2 CS | SMB F80 M3 CS | E90 M3 | E90 335i | E46 M3 Vert | E39 M5 | E34 525i
Appreciate 2
WWM3968.00
      02-17-2022, 10:17 AM   #15
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I swear I've seen M3/4s without functioning shift lights more than once

My 2016 6MT has them
I wonder if there is a way to code them on/off.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 12:54 PM   #16
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

M3 CS vs. M2 Comp

I spent some time with the M4 CS. Ultimately, I picked up an M2 CS 6MT. It's the perfect choice for me. I wanted a manual and the M4 is just too big for my taste.

It's not just the size of the M2 that makes it a more fun car than it's siblings. The suspension tuning is geared more towards hooliganism. It's just a really fun car to drive. IMO you wouldn't miss the extra power from the neutered S55 in the M2 C versus the M3 CS. I really enjoy the manual in the F87 platform and paired with any of the three engine choices creates a fun experience. Looks are subjective, but I think the M2 is a fantastic looking car as well.

M2 CS prices are a little high right now, but it might be worth it. Alternatively, you could grab an M2 C 6MT and throw some 763M wheels on it to reduce unsprung weight.
      02-19-2022, 12:55 PM   #17
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
M2 is definitely faster in tight tracks.
      03-07-2022, 10:07 PM   #18
1FZFE
Private
Rep
Drives: Lucid

The M2, all versions, has some of the most awkward proportions in BMW M land. It looks like a blown up Micro Machine. It should look wide in motion, but it looks lifted and dwarfish irl. Interior is econobox grade that doesn't feel inviting at all.

M3/4 CS is one of the best looking mass produced cars made to date. It's a hard no for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 10:41 AM   #19
M3CSinWisc
Private
Rep

Yeah, I've cooled off on the M2 for now, sticking w/ my M3. Still need to drive an M2 to experience the magic, which I hope to do someday if one ever appears at the local dealer.

Prices have climbed in the past few weeks, with low mileage M2 Comps now hitting within ~$10k of my M3; knowing these cars would normally be priced in the 50's, I'd feel ripped off if I were to make a lateral trade. Maybe once the new G87 gets announced it'll put some downward pressure on these prices. Ultimately though, I wouldn't be able to settle on a Comp, I know I'll want the CS... hopefully my Shib coin rallies back so I can use the profits + my M3 CS to trade up for an M2 CS
Appreciate 0