BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

08-07-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

Do dealerships have to disclose if it was a performance center car?

Trying to trade my car but apparently it was a performance center car originally. The dealership told me they absolutely are required by bmw to disclose that it was originally a performance center car to list it and this is why they’re giving me such a low price. I’ve never heard of this… does it sound true? Can anyone verify this? I feel like even if they are required it shouldn’t be a negative thing. That means all service was done at the allotted intervals or even sooner. Anyone shine any light on this? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I suggest you read this. https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1403326
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

I see but that thread seems to be a matter of opinion. I didn’t see any “facts” pertaining to the questions I asked. But still very appreciated.
Appreciate 1
m3drew0.00
      08-09-2021, 12:35 AM   #4
redblaze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

My opinion is that dealer was trying to low ball the offer by making it up. I dealt with a used M4 at a BMW dealership and they never disclosed or admitted it was a performance driving school car. I was only able to tell by its registration location, CCB, super low mileage but no CPO.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:57 PM   #5
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblaze View Post
My opinion is that dealer was trying to low ball the offer by making it up. I dealt with a used M4 at a BMW dealership and they never disclosed or admitted it was a performance driving school car. I was only able to tell by its registration location, CCB, super low mileage but no CPO.
Man.. that's tough. I would say see what Carvana or carmax would offer on trade…. You may be better off going to them versus a bmw dealer.. and also, I don't think it's a required disclosure
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2021, 02:34 AM   #6
redblaze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redblaze View Post
Man.. that's tough. I would say see what Carvana or carmax would offer on trade…. You may be better off going to them versus a bmw dealer.. and also, I don't think it's a required disclosure
I didn't buy that car. My point was since dealer didn't have to disclose when selling, obviously they were BS'ing when they offered lower buy out price due to driving school history.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 12:13 AM   #7
M3god
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3

I bought mines and the dealer told me it was a performance driving school car, crazy mines came with a the Ccb option as well with low mileage
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #8
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

the reality is that it does command a lower price because it was a performance center car.

There are stories on this board about people's negative experiences buying performance center cars, both in the dealer's misrepresentation and quality of car.

You haven't mentioned whether you were informed that it was a performance car when you bought it and whether you got a discount because of that. It would also answer your question of whether they are required to disclose it from your own experience...

Im also surprised that you are asking if the dealer is
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #9
M2 Pilot
Private
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, c8 Corvette

I've read some of bad experiences and I don't want a performance center car. On the other hand, one would think that the performance center cars were very,very well maintained.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 10:21 PM   #10
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Don't trade it to a BMW dealer and the chances of it being found to be a performance center car are significantly reduced.

AFAIK, they don't have to disclose the performance center car, but they can NOT CPO it. Read the BMW of Beaumont thread to see what happens when a dealer CPOs a performance center car and gets caught red handed.

And of course the fact that it was a performance center car is going to affect value - it's a car that was beat on by amateur drivers in a high performance setting. Who is willingly going to want to buy one of those while fully aware of those circumstance? Unless, of course, there is a significant discount and full disclosure.