Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #1
waqiidepp
WaqiiDepp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07%E2%80%99 328xi coupe, 12%E2

2018 M3

Guys. I am looking at a 2018 M3 with competition and exec package. Listed at $61k. The warranty end in a month. Should I consider buying extended warranty ? Or getting it certified. Or take a leap of faith ?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqiidepp View Post
Guys. I am looking at a 2018 M3 with competition and exec package. Listed at $61k. The warranty end in a month. Should I consider buying extended warranty ? Or getting it certified. Or take a leap of faith ?
What's the mileage at?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

I won't buy a pre owned German car with out some kind of warranty but that's just me.

Do you plan on adding tune? if so don't bother with a warranty ...if not personally I find value and peace of mind in having a warranty so maybe its something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #4
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
If you're planning to keep the car for a long period and with no mod then get the extended warranty, the 2018 F80 is a solid car.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 05:16 PM   #5
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Heya!

This is somewhat of a subjective question.

66fasback is an example of someone who doesn't want to take the risk of the out of pocket costs, certainly with some of the more "known" or expensive fixes. A spun crank hub which can lead to motor failure is a good example (but rare, flame suit on). A replacement motor is fairly astronomical in price, so if you are sensitive to that and loose sleep in fear of your car blowing up a the next corner, I too would spend the extra $3-5k and get a extended warranty.

On the other hand, you have folks like me. Yeah, I bought an f80 with 80k+ miles, but I knew exactly what I was getting into. I also did a ridiculous amount of research, had the car inspected, and decided to play the odds. These cars from my research are tanks, and treated properly will last for many miles. I enjoy restoring cars, even somewhat modern ones that are sorta silly and expensive. I plan to keep my fairly stock.

I also try to keep in mind that with forums like this you get a very small sample of enthusiasts who tend to spout off more about their issues and complaints. That same sample of members is also extremely diverse, with some being master mechanics that have been wrenching since they were born to the guy who doesn't know anything about how a car works. And each of our individual experiences need to be vetted out a bit. And don't be to worried about the fringe advice. Stick with what makes sense and from folks who have experience. The rest is noise, and you will have to learn or exercise your ability to "read between the lines".

Sorry for the wall of words. Hopefully it all makes sense. Basically, you need to really make sure you are being true to yourself.

Honestly, if you can afford an extended warranty, I'd get one. If you plan to mod the car, then you should not hesitate and get the extended warranty.

Good luck, and pics or it didn't happen!

josh
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
Heya!

This is somewhat of a subjective question.

66fasback is an example of someone who doesn't want to take the risk of the out of pocket costs, certainly with some of the more "known" or expensive fixes. A spun crank hub which can lead to motor failure is a good example (but rare, flame suit on). A replacement motor is fairly astronomical in price, so if you are sensitive to that and loose sleep in fear of your car blowing up a the next corner, I too would spend the extra $3-5k and get a extended warranty.

On the other hand, you have folks like me. Yeah, I bought an f80 with 80k+ miles, but I knew exactly what I was getting into. I also did a ridiculous amount of research, had the car inspected, and decided to play the odds. These cars from my research are tanks, and treated properly will last for many miles. I enjoy restoring cars, even somewhat modern ones that are sorta silly and expensive. I plan to keep my fairly stock.

I also try to keep in mind that with forums like this you get a very small sample of enthusiasts who tend to spout off more about their issues and complaints. That same sample of members is also extremely diverse, with some being master mechanics that have been wrenching since they were born to the guy who doesn't know anything about how a car works. And each of our individual experiences need to be vetted out a bit. And don't be to worried about the fringe advice. Stick with what makes sense and from folks who have experience. The rest is noise, and you will have to learn or exercise your ability to "read between the lines".

Sorry for the wall of words. Hopefully it all makes sense. Basically, you need to really make sure you are being true to yourself.

Honestly, if you can afford an extended warranty, I'd get one. If you plan to mod the car, then you should not hesitate and get the extended warranty.

Good luck, and pics or it didn't happen!

josh
This is very good advise...be true to yourself many people buy these cars (like myself) who can afford the payment and maintenance but don't have the financial means or want to pay out of pocket a rare or random expensive repair on a car you are making payments on.

I paid 3k for a platinum zero deductible warranty and I never worry about my car....a drivetrain malfunction is not something you wanna see on a car your making payments on and I HATE working on Bmw's. so there's that.

but a bitcoin millionaire or a guy with just good enough credit to buy one.... could stage 3 the thing with no issues and be a hero. its all perspective everyone has a different "right answer" for themself.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      09-11-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

My wife's 2015 MB C400, 73k miles, threw a CEL (timing correlation error) and rattle on cold start up. I took it to one shop and they quoted $1.4k for labor and parts to test new cam adjuster magnetics. If that doesn't fix it and it's the camshaft adjusters, itll be closer to $4k to $5k. I also took it to the dealership and they said $10k!!!

I scoured the web and see that MB engines throughout the years seem to have this kind of recurring issues.

Had I know MBs engines have these kinds of issues, I wouldn't have purchased the car. However since it's the car my wife really wanted, then I would've purchased the extended warranty if I had known MB engines are prone to these issues.

For the F8x, overall the engine seems rock solid based on the small amount of major engine issues (aside from spun crank hub). Even still, knowing how expensive an engine fix can cost, I'm now more inclined to look at an extended warranty for that piece of mind, though at the end of the day, itll depend on the cost. That and I've also recently started to track the car so it'll take more beating than normal.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #8
waqiidepp
WaqiiDepp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07%E2%80%99 328xi coupe, 12%E2

Thanks for advice folks. The car has 31k miles. And the factory warranty ends in a month
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 07:33 AM   #9
stoes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

I just bought a '18 m4 competition and it's amazing!!! I bought an extended full coverage warranty for $4200. I am tuning the car, and I'm not worried about this tune voiding my warranty. The previous poster gave spot on advice. Some of us read these forums only when we are researching something that is new to us and tend to take all the information available as fact. Perfect example is the crank hub. There is so much misinformation about this topic it's hard to find any reliable data or first hand issues as related to crank hub. People read and regurgitate "facts" like this and will go as far as to lecture you if you don't abide by what the masses of the forum say.
Crank hub aside, I went with the extended warranty because I've owned 2 bmws before this. I am very aware of the small issues that can happen from time to time… sensors, throttle actuators, coil packs, a/c issues, etc… these are all relatively small issues but the labor adds up quick.
My point being the warranty is great to have for the small issues that come up. People tend to only worry about full engine failure and the everlasting argument of the crank hub.
Don't believe everything you read!
Oh, and tuning won't void your warranty on anything like sensors, coil packs, etc… I can't speak to drivetrain but if you decide to tune don't let people here dis sway you from the warranty thinking they tune voids all potential repairs. Thsts 100% false!
      09-12-2021, 09:51 AM   #10
Encephalon
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3C

I just purchased an ‘18 M3C with 21K miles on it and I also bought the extended warranty. The car has 1 more year of OEM warranty and I added another 4 years, 45K miles on top of it for just shy of $4K.

In general, extended warranties (on anything) are a total scam and money maker. But I’m new to BMW and have no sense of reliability. It’s also a much more expensive car than my last vehicle, so wanted the added piece of mind. I mainly wanted protection for catastrophic failures. I will not be tuning or modifying the car either, so shouldn’t have any issue with claims (knocks wood)
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      09-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #11
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1995 E36 M3

I understand your pain. I too just bought a 2018 Austin Metallic Yellow M4 and luv this car. I bought it with about 2months left on the warranty. So now its about lil over a month lefyt on my warranty. My car has 18k miles on it and its Comp and Exec Pkg and has DCT.

Im also wondering if i should get an extended warranty but i feel its a scam and the devil is in the details of the contract. Just when you think you have peace of mind and are covered you find out. well Pluto was not aligned with Mars perfectly on that day so thats not covered LOL..

Oh Yeah BTW can you guys who mentioned your warranties mind posting the companies you went with. I would like to do some research iff i do decide on going that route. Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #12
c4ss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT

If I bought used, I might have considered an extended warranty more, but I've owned it since new. Not a single issue in my ownership experience thus far. I just let my warranty lapse on my 2018 M3 Comp pack with 30k miles. Running FBO with Stage II flex fuel now and Stage 2 since 5k. Crank hub fixed about a year ago. These engines are strong IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #13
luthers4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550

I purchased a 2016 F80 comp w/ 30k miles two years ago with one year of factory warranty left. Once the warranty expired I opted to roll the dice and go with no warranty. I'm stock and intend to stay that way. Just over 40k now with no issues. The $4k to $5k I would've spent on an extended warranty will cover most potential repairs. If a problem arises I will diagnose (primarily using resources on these forums) and determine most inexpensive fix, most likely DIY if in my wheelhouse.
Appreciate 0