Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

08-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
E BKL
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Is MDM safe for a beginner?

Hi, in a couple of days I'm getting my first fast car - an M4. I just want to know if MDM is safe to use for a beginner? Can you still lose control with that when driving fast (3rd gear and up)? How and when do you guys use it? Also launch control, is it safe to do it? I'm a decent driver but not experienced with really fast cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by E BKL View Post
Can you still lose control with that when driving fast (3rd gear and up)?
The fact you asked this question is particularly indicative of your lack of experience. My recommendation is to get some basic track experience (in any car) before you drive an M4.

Also, please do some reading:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...erpost.com+MDM
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...Launch+Control
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Hi, in a couple of days I'm getting my first fast car - an M4. I just want to know if MDM is safe to use for a beginner? Can you still lose control with that when driving fast (3rd gear and up)? How and when do you guys use it? Also launch control, is it safe to do it? I'm a decent driver but not experienced with really fast cars.
For you since you're not experienced, no do not use MDM on the street -- you'll end up wrapped around a tree.

You can lose control in any gear, especially in first if you're in Sport Plus mode where the throttle is super sensitive.

Launch control in this car is not the same in other cars, it's literally trying to kill you.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Depends how familiar you are with rear wheel drive.

In daily driving conditions, you shouldn't lose control in 3rd gear with dry weather unless there's a catastrophic failure (tire, etc). The f8x is extremely torquey and requires a bit more driver effort than most rwd Euro cars.

Launch control in these cars is basically useless unless you're on R compounds. You'll do an enormous burnout and your 0-60 time will be 20 minutes. There's certain conditions, tire temperatures, etc where you can make it work but for the most part it's ineffective stock.

MDM is extremely intrusive so it's definitely safer than DSC off. It shouldn't let you slip too much but it will allow for some. If you get scared of a little slip and try to correct improperly, it could end up being a bad situation.

I agree with mkoesel. Do a track event and let the car lose control a little bit so you know what to expect.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

You'd have to be extremely out of control to crash while in (Euro) MDM mode, so I'd say it's relatively safe. Even the BMW Performance Centers let complete noobs use MDM on their own...

BMW's launch control have zero throttle modulation, so don't bother with this unless:

1. You're on a clean dry surface, preferably prepped with lots of VHT

2. You're running PS4S or better tires (e.g. S007a, RE-71R, R888R, PSC2, drag radials) in the right tire profile (35 series or higher)

3. You're in a safe environment clear of bystanders and nearby vehicles
Appreciate 1
M 4 FUN604.50
      08-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
NoMoreAudi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86

Garage List
2019 X6M  [0.00]
Watch this video before going out.

Appreciate 2
cotmfk2042.00
      08-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
E BKL
Registered
Rep

Thanks for replys people! Answered all my questions. I'll definetly go and practice that in track before i ever turn MDM on. I wont try launch control either
Appreciate 1
Closed Thread