Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #23
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong for using OEM. Everyone brakes differently. If OEM works for you then keep using it but it's pretty ridiculous for you to say that OEM fluid works just fine when clearly it doesn't work for me, anyone else I go to the track with, and apparently most of the people who post here. I'm sure stock pads and tires are good enough for some people too. That doesn't make it ridiculous to use a race pads and r-compounds does it?

How does comparing rated temperatures not mean much when we're specifically talking about boiling points of fluids? After multiple cycles of heat transfer between the rotors, pads, calipers and fluids, your brake fluid temps are bound to start converging just below your rotor temps.
What I meant was that we dont necessarily know the actual temperature of the fluid in the caliper itself. Again I don't wanna argue since I'm not an expert in the topic; I can only speak from my hands on experience at multiple tracks around the Midwest. Just wondering what failure mode did you experience to make you think the OE fluid was NG?

OP I recommend running with NASA, PCA, BMWCCA, or the more exclusive groups like ChinTrackDays or 1010ths.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 05:37 PM   #24
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
What I meant was that we dont necessarily know the actual temperature of the fluid in the caliper itself. Again I don't wanna argue since I'm not an expert in the topic; I can only speak from my hands on experience at multiple tracks around the Midwest. Just wondering what failure mode did you experience to make you think the OE fluid was NG?

OP I recommend running with NASA, PCA, BMWCCA, or the more exclusive groups like ChinTrackDays or 1010ths.
OEM fluid changed by dealer twice a year. Running DTC70 pads front and rear on stock calipers and rotors. Plenty of stopping power, never faded.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #25
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

My favorite is HookedOnDriving. They take it very seriously, great management, full time experienced instructors. Really v good for Novice drivers. They also provide lunch (included in the price), bbq (included) at the end of first day if it's 2 day event. They really monitor all sessions and make sure fast cars are not blocking fast drivers in slow cars. Always motivate you to progress to next level.

BMW CCA is good too, but they force you to buy 2 day event...which is high cost.

PCA, I've heard is good too, Prices are really good.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 06:13 AM   #26
gds52
Colonel
Rep

My favorite is HookedOnDriving. They take it very seriously, great management, full time experienced instructors. Really v good for Novice drivers. They also provide lunch (included in the price), bbq (included) at the end of first day if it's 2 day event. They really monitor all sessions and make sure fast cars are not blocking fast drivers in slow cars. Always motivate you to progress to next level.

BMW CCA is good too, but they force you to buy 2 day event...which is high cost.

PCA, I've heard is good too, Prices are really good.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #27
CRRobert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Avus Blue ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post

Might be region specific, because did not have to buy both for HPR over the Memorial Day holiday. I actually volunteered on Saturday, earned some credits to use towards something else, and then drove Sunday. Rocky Mountain Region.

My only issue is 2 times per year, so looking to get some more. Currently waitlisted on PCA event, and will do NASA as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #28
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C 2018 BMW M4

Sign up for any one, it literally makes like no difference lol. As for the brake fluid conversation, I was just at Lightening on Friday, it was hot, we ran 20 on 20 off so little to no cool down. The stock fluid never gave me issues and I was hitting 140 down the straight and over 120 before turn 7.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #29
gds52
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRRobert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post

Might be region specific, because did not have to buy both for HPR over the Memorial Day holiday. I actually volunteered on Saturday, earned some credits to use towards something else, and then drove Sunday. Rocky Mountain Region.

My only issue is 2 times per year, so looking to get some more. Currently waitlisted on PCA event, and will do NASA as well.
Ahh ok..could be. I was with Delaware Valley chapter...and the Chapter official was cocky when I chatted with him about one day option. I changed my membership to NJ chapter...they were better. They even offered me some discount if I just wanted one day.
No wonder their track days are never fully sold....they end registration 4/5 days before event and then keep advertising for people to join.
I've heard good about NASA too. But for my couple or track days...HookedOnDriving works out best for me.
HOD also provides passing exercise session at Pocono Raceway...and then make group B to drive with advance group C. They always posh ppl to move up. I like that attitude.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #30
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hey so, one thing I have not seen discussed is the "test and tune" days run by race tracks. For example, this friday, my team mate and I are going to drive at buttonwillow for $60 each for the afternoon.

2 weekends ago, my brother and I drove at Toronto Motorsports Park for $80 each (and drove 2.5hr straight, switching drivers)

I have found those to be the very best value for raw track time, with the caveat that some are gated by need to have a full or novice competition license and a competition car with a log book
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #31
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Hey so, one thing I have not seen discussed is the "test and tune" days run by race tracks. For example, this friday, my team mate and I are going to drive at buttonwillow for $60 each for the afternoon.

2 weekends ago, my brother and I drove at Toronto Motorsports Park for $80 each (and drove 2.5hr straight, switching drivers)

I have found those to be the very best value for raw track time, with the caveat that some are gated by need to have a full or novice competition license and a competition car with a log book
Those are definitely the best value for pure track time; the problem comes as you said, some require some sort of comp license, and others don't require any sort of training at all. Both of those have issues. Comp license means you're probably not driving in the HPDE equivalent of your local club, and no license required means anyone and everyone out there can get on the track, and it can get kind of hairy.
      07-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #32
johnnyace
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

scda1.com
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #33
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

Willow Springs does this often as well. As far as I can tell they require 5pt harness, rollover, and fire extinguishers. Does rollover mean roll cage? I think I have to get my dedicated track car going...

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #34
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

In PNW, HOD is pretty good for learning and possibly other regions have similar culture. Coaches are pretty chill and kind and they promote safe non competitive environment that is good for learning. Downside is they increased price quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 06:30 PM   #35
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

SCDA
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 03:47 AM   #36
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Willow Springs does this often as well. As far as I can tell they require 5pt harness, rollover, and fire extinguishers. Does rollover mean roll cage? I think I have to get my dedicated track car going...
They might be ok with a half cage. Call them!

How many weekends a year are you going these days, and did you have a car in mind already?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #37
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
They might be ok with a half cage. Call them!

How many weekends a year are you going these days, and did you have a car in mind already?
Sadly haven't been able to do much of anything this summer due to travel and work. I have a day at Willow coming up. I want to finish out the season then decide over winter if I want to replace the M3 CS. I'm still thinking 981S.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 07:19 PM   #38
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Sadly haven't been able to do much of anything this summer due to travel and work. I have a day at Willow coming up. I want to finish out the season then decide over winter if I want to replace the M3 CS. I'm still thinking 981S.
What advantage do you think 918S would bring over m3cs?

That seems to be a lateral move. Did you see Absurdium video at mosport? It’s a driver’s race between those 2 cars

A 981S is still a street car and might not be allowed at those test days anyway.

You should consider a spec corvette or spec 996 that’s sold on a title and with registration on PNO. Get it smogged and plated and you’ll have a straight up competition car with a license plate. Keep it on cup2 type tire and just drive to track. That’s what I am planning for after a few season in SM to feel more confident with entering corners much more aggressively (eg fast in fast out, instead of slow in fast out that keeps getting taught at street car HPDE)

Hope you can get out there as much as you want. I go karting with friends to try and do something Motorsport related IRL every couple of weekends, and have even taken rental sedans to some of the more low key tracks (eg Cayuga in Toronto area)
Appreciate 1
Absurdium152.00
      07-31-2019, 12:06 AM   #39
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
What advantage do you think 918S would bring over m3cs?

That seems to be a lateral move. Did you see Absurdium video at mosport? It’s a driver’s race between those 2 cars

A 981S is still a street car and might not be allowed at those test days anyway.

You should consider a spec corvette or spec 996 that’s sold on a title and with registration on PNO. Get it smogged and plated and you’ll have a straight up competition car with a license plate. Keep it on cup2 type tire and just drive to track. That’s what I am planning for after a few season in SM to feel more confident with entering corners much more aggressively (eg fast in fast out, instead of slow in fast out that keeps getting taught at street car HPDE)

Hope you can get out there as much as you want. I go karting with friends to try and do something Motorsport related IRL every couple of weekends, and have even taken rental sedans to some of the more low key tracks (eg Cayuga in Toronto area)
I have autocrosses lined up twice a month for the next few months. Luckily it doesn't snow/rain here so I'll be able to go into winter. Big Willow is coming up in Sept and I signed up for some POC events. Hoping to hit Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla before the end of the year sometime as well!

Honestly a used $50k Cayman S is a way to get a car I can modify and don't mind putting into the dirt. It will be a longer term car for me. I know the M3 CS is probably faster, but I think racing the Cayman can be more fun and less stressful. I see spec 996's for around the same price, so maybe that is a consideration!

Link to the video?

Last edited by jmg; 07-31-2019 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:28 AM   #40
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
. Hoping to hit Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla before the end of the year sometime !

Link to the video?
First post of this thread

Want to do the 9/21-9/22 SCCA event at Buttonwillow? I’ll be there to do another SM race to fill up my novice book
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:31 AM   #41
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
. Hoping to hit Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla before the end of the year sometime !

Link to the video?
First post of this thread

Want to do the 9/21-9/22 SCCA event at Buttonwillow? I'll be there to do another SM race to fill up my novice book
Lol almost forgot what thread I was in.

My Big Willow day is that same week actually. Otherwise I was going to go. Looking to fill up a weekend in October though.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #42
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Lol almost forgot what thread I was in.

My Big Willow day is that same week actually. Otherwise I was going to go. Looking to fill up a weekend in October though.
I’m planning to be at the 10/26-10/27 day at buttonwillow
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #43
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

+1 for SCCA Track Night in America, cheapest way to get on track for us east coast folks (3 sessions for ~$150) as long as you can get out of work on a weekday. Also SCCA's TT Nationals program is very approachable way to get into Time Trials and you get a ton of seat time for much cheaper than some other orgs.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 02:38 AM   #44
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Signed up for a POC autocross... we'll see how it goes!

Appreciate 0