ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #2399
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
1. Honestly - probably not. A lot of spring kits dont even come with a replacement rear bump stop. I did replace it anyways since i had it. It added about 5-10 mins/per side so not a huge deal, especially since you dont have to compress a spring to take apart the shock. Additionally, orientation of the top hat to shock doesnt matter during reassembly since it spins freely from each other (versus other setups where you have to line it up top hat/shock as best as you can)

2. Yes, you can use a screwdriver, albeit a little more effort and some potential cussing getting the spindle to separate. The spindle separator i used is linked below. For $16, it was well worth it since my other car also has a spindle setup in the front, and in the event i do this install for other members. The socket just makes it a bit more effortless: insert, rotate, remove strut (may require a tap with a mallet). Socket stays inside spindle when its expanded and you just give it another twist to remove after the strut is reinstalled.

Strut Separator: https://amzn.to/33p0uFu

and also, for those who need it:

Schwaben 18mm front strut nut socket: https://amzn.to/32sWdjb (this is a must have)
Thanks a lot. Sorry if you posted already but what was the main purpose of the HAS for you? The drop for looks or handling? I am primarily looking for the latter as the car doesn’t feel as planted on elevation changes. What has been your experience?

Thanks.
Goals were both looks and handling. I didn't want to slam the car, going for an OEM+ so the mild drop on the MPHAS does the trick.

In terms of handling, can't comment on that yet, my alignment is definitely off (nothing like some toe whine!). will report back after it's aligned and potentially corner balanced.
Appreciate 1
///M///1861.00
      11-07-2019, 06:07 AM   #2400
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Thanks a lot. Sorry if you posted already but what was the main purpose of the HAS for you? The drop for looks or handling? I am primarily looking for the latter as the car doesn’t feel as planted on elevation changes. What has been your experience?

Thanks.
I just came from B16 Damptronic. The B16's shocks are amazing. If stability over elevation changes is what you're looking for, THESE are the coil overs to get. 100% plug and play as well. (I also happen to be selling my old set - shameless plug)

I still can't believe how the car would not cut throttle over bumps and elevation changes. It almost feels like if someone is pushing the rear of the car down to keep a lot of weight on the ground - and my traction control was loving it. Never cut throttle except for wheel spin, which is normal.

I'm not saying that the MP HAS won't behave this way per se, but I did instantly notice the car has more suspension travel vs. the Bilsteins, and the dampers don't push down with as much force. Time will tell if I regret my decision haha.
Appreciate 1
///M///1861.00
      11-07-2019, 06:13 AM   #2401
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also - a question for everyone on this kit:

I'm not sure if there were revisions to the design or not, but I noticed that my kit only came with one spanner wrench, and when I spoke to my installer, we both thought it was strange how this kit doesn't "lock" using 2 rings like most coil overs do. I understand how in the front it has that screw to lock it in place, but what about the rears? I didn't see any such screw, and I find it odd how the rears wouldn't eventually shift over time?

Has this been answered somewhere before? I had a hard time searching for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #2402
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
I'm glad you kept your MP HAS kit instead of selling it!

--------------------------------------------

My review below:

Similar to what others have said, i'm very happy with the MP HAS.

Car is a 2018, non-zcp, but has adaptive suspension. MP HAS is lowered all the way in the front, and the rear coils has the gap set to equal to the thickness of the included adjustment spanners (1/4 inch or less). This resulted in a ride height (from fender to ground, on OEM 18s) of 25 10/16 inches in front and 25 13/16 in rear. Gap between fender/tire is equal on this setup. Minor rake in front, but i dont mind the look.

Ride Quality:Comfort on MP HAS is similar to Sport/Sport+ on OEM suspension (probably closer to sport+), so do keep that in mind if you're trying to maintain as 'lexus' of a ride quality as possible. HOWEVER, there are no spine shattering "hits" on big bumps. You feel more of the road, but not to the point it takes away from the experience and crosses over to discomfort. Overall i'm pleased with the ride quality and its definitely not as raw as lowering your car on a track oriented coilover (e.g. ohlins). FWIW - my wife has not said anything regarding a change in ride quality, and i didn't even mention the car has been lowered. She noticed right away on previous rides.

Install: Huge shout out to Tommy L Garage on Youtube, and everyone else who compiled install threads on this forum. I'm only a weekend wrencher and have done a few coilover/spring installs on previous rides, which were mostly japanese. This definitely was on the easier side, with not many bolts having to come out, and components lining up easily afterwards. Biggest tip is to make sure you have 2 specialty tools, the 18mm strut socket for the fronts, and also the spindle separator socket for the fronts as well. Note that in the rear, the nut holding the alignment bolt cant be accessed using an impact so you'll probably want to break the NUT side loose by hand (dont advise trying to back it out from the bolt side using an impact, the tension from the suspension is holding down the bolt quite tightly). Much easier to take the nut off with leverage, jack up control arm then whack the alignment bolt out once tension is relieved. Otherwise, install is very straight forward.

Negative: Biggest negative, and this can be solved by simply raising the fronts, is that my lightweight lip scrapes everywhere with the fronts set to max low and on OEM 18s. I dont mind since the lip is durable, but if it was a carbon lip, it would be destroyed by now.

Anyways, enough typing. Hope this review helps someone who is on the fence of whether or not to move forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Just picked up my car with MP HAS on my non-cp car w/ EDC shocks yesterday. Max drop in front, not sure about the rear, but it's not maxed out. A little higher than my previous lowering springs were, so somewhere in the -10 to -15mm range. Also corner balanced and aligned. Full list of suspension iterations:

- Stock - ~5000 mi
- Macht Schnell lowering springs - ~2500 mi
- Bilstein B16 Damptronic coil overs - ~1500 mi

After a roughly 50 mile drive home, I have to say I'm impressed so far. I'm not sure if it's the bump stops, springs rates, or combination of both, but the rear doesn't crash like my previous MS springs felt. I'm experiencing the ideal 1 compression/rebound far more than the MS springs. Maybe the MS were too low/soft and just riding the bump stops? I'm sure raising the rear height relative to MS springs helped as well. But the car still feels stock in a good way.

Compared to B16, it is more comfortable. I'd say that B16 in comfort is between Sport and Sport+ with MP HAS. The B16 damping is incredible, among other things, but I think it was too much for my wife, so I changed to MP HAS to be able to drive the car more with her in it. I can't compare any track impressions, because my car is 100% a street car, but I did lose some steering feel switching to MP HAS from B16.

I know this kit has had overwhelmingly positive reviews for a long time already, but so far, all I can say is I wish I did this first instead of the lowering springs. Whoever designed this kit definitely did their homework. Just feels so much better engineered. There's a few roads around me with larger dips that the stock and MS springs sucked on, but B16 fixed. I'm going to try going over those roads again with this kit to see if this is just the honeymoon phase, or if it really did sort out the floatiness I experienced before the B16 kit.
This makes me wish I had EDC on my non-ZCP. Would've already gone with MP HAS to remain OEM. I find the stock passive suspension to be a little too crashy and bouncy in the city, whilst elsewhere it is great (mid-corner bumps on the Autobahn come to mind). BMW engineers said in one of the suspension articles that passive is like EDC in Sport mode.

Have you got any pictures of your now-lowered car with the 513M wheels? There are so few on the Internet.
      11-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #2403
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
This makes me wish I had EDC on my non-ZCP. Would've already gone with MP HAS to remain OEM. I find the stock passive suspension to be a little too crashy and bouncy in the city, whilst elsewhere it is great (mid-corner bumps on the Autobahn come to mind). BMW engineers said in one of the suspension articles that passive is like EDC in Sport mode.

Have you got any pictures of your now-lowered car with the 513M wheels? There are so few on the Internet.
In that case, I would say get a set of B6 passive shocks, or go with Bilstein PSS10, the passive version of the B16. The B6 shocks are really next level.

Here's a link to when my car was on B16. 3.5 inches from bottom of the front lip to the ground. Looks so damn good:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1568396043
Appreciate 1
swagon13484.00
      11-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #2404
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
In that case, I would say get a set of B6 passive shocks, or go with Bilstein PSS10, the passive version of the B16. The B6 shocks are really next level.

Here's a link to when my car was on B16. 3.5 inches from bottom of the front lip to the ground. Looks so damn good:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1568396043
Damn, that's hot! I'm liking the lip, too (Lightweight?).

Warranty runs out next June so hoping to get rid of the wheel gap by then. Have to say I have been pretty satisfied with KW V3's on the 135i (30k mls) but on the M3, they go too low in the rear. V3-based AC Schnitzer RS coilovers have a more conservative drop with, apparently, custom valving.

Think there's a guy with passive PSS10's on here.
      11-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #2405
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn, that's hot! I'm liking the lip, too (Lightweight?).

Warranty runs out next June so hoping to get rid of the wheel gap by then. Have to say I have been pretty satisfied with KW V3's on the 135i (30k mls) but on the M3, they go too low in the rear. V3-based AC Schnitzer RS coilovers have a more conservative drop with, apparently, custom valving.

Think there's a guy with passive PSS10's on here.
Yep, Lightweight lip.

If the full set of standalone B6 Damptronic shocks were available to me, I would have just gotten those shocks with lowering springs, most likely Eibach v2. Such a simple solution, but unattainable in the US. Height adjustable springs or coil overs are overkill for my purposes.

But PSS10 had a lot of good reviews from what I've read.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #2406
9M71
Major
Rep

Quote:
Also - a question for everyone on this kit:

I'm not sure if there were revisions to the design or not, but I noticed that my kit only came with one spanner wrench, and when I spoke to my installer, we both thought it was strange how this kit doesn't "lock" using 2 rings like most coil overs do. I understand how in the front it has that screw to lock it in place, but what about the rears? I didn't see any such screw, and I find it odd how the rears wouldn't eventually shift over time?

Has this been answered somewhere before? I had a hard time searching for it.
I ordered my kit in Oct '19 from getbmwparts and received 2 spanners. The larger spanner is for the front, and smaller spanner is for the rear. The locking rings are different sizes and you can't really use one spanner for the other (tried it), so my hunch is you are missing one. Also to note, my spanners were taped to the bottom of the box under all the suspension components and packaging materials. The rear (smaller) spanner is useless TBH, its extremely difficult to adjust the rear height even w/ wheels off.

And yeah the 1 locking ring is weird. Looks like the KW HAS is the same way too. The front i'm not worried about since its lowered all the way (and honestly probably doesnt need the locking screw at that point). Also added some antiseize to the locking screw as there is no doubt the screw would otherwise get stuck after winter driving.

Best guess on the rears is that since it uses a helper spring that spins independent from the larger coil, this prevents the collar from moving.

Quote:
I do, having some trouble trying to post them from mobile. Will take another crack at it after work from a PC.
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      11-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #2407
9M71
Major
Rep

pictures
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
ntg442887.50
SherM4n630.00
swagon13484.00
Powerslide1095.00
      11-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #2408
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
pictures
MONEY.
Appreciate 1
9M711232.50
      11-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #2409
M3nmotion18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 IR ZCP BM3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.87]
2021 MINI COOPER  [10.00]
2023 GENESIS GV60  [10.00]
2017 LEXUS RX350  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaz18 View Post
Just picked my car up from the dealer after getting this kit installed. Ride is amazing! I absolutely love it. I was worried that it may be too firm for my liking, but that is not the case whatsoever. As many have said, the ride is compliant and the car feels more planted. I get a chuckle when reading this thread and coming across the folks that say "the car should've come this way from the factory," but that phrase holds true 1000%.

I'm at the BMW recommended ride height for 19" wheels, but am considering going a bit lower. That said, how much can I really expect the springs (and subsequent ride) height to settle within the next few hundred miles? A few mm?
How long was the installation hours at the dealership? I emailed the local dealership that have experience installing this kit and told them the instruction shows around 4.5 hrs of labor but I was told that the installation hour is incorrect? I was quoted 9 hours of labor plus alignment for $1820.00. I'm just curious for an average hours for this kit... Thanks!

Last edited by M3nmotion18; 11-07-2019 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #2410
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just an update since my first impressions:

Took the car out on a more spirited drive today, and drove along the roads with a little more elevation change under full throttle. And here is where MP HAS limitations are exposed.

I knew this going in, and this has already been discussed at length, but it's true that the stock shocks are the problem here. MP HAS is so much better than my previous MS springs - you definitely get what you pay for here. But you also only get what you pay for by sticking with stock shocks. Echoing many before me, the stock shocks are a tad underdamped. Sure, it's comfortable, but I had to lift off and pucker up on my reference dip where my B16 just ran over it. But even in less extreme cases, traction control just kicks in a lot more often than on the B16 kit, whether the road is flat or mildly bumpy/uneven. In the end, I'd sum it up like this.

- If all you want is to be lower, get MP HAS. You're going to get an essentially stock experience and love it. Don't waste your time on Macht Schnell springs. Can't comment on any other set, but I believe the rears were too low just riding the bump stops, and even with the extra spacers, very crashy.

- If you want a genuine performance improvement you can notice all the time, for the money you can't go wrong with B16 Damptronic if you have EDC and want to keep it. Yes, it's stiffer than MP HAS (Comfort is roughly between Sport and Sport+), but you're getting so much more stability and grip in return.

Now, addressing the elephant in the room: Why would I "downgrade" from B16 Damptronic to MP HAS? Well, I'm not single anymore, and I have more people to drive around than I used to. My wife has been driving a Lexus for the past 15 years, and has a very different idea than I do for what is considered comfortable. I enjoy driving my M3, and I don't want to avoid driving it because she doesn't want to ride in it. In addition, I am kind of setting up my car to be sold easier if/when the time comes. I don't want to limit my potential buyers to only enthusiasts who would appreciate the B16 kit - it's no secret that stock cars sell better since the market is bigger. MP HAS is close enough that I could win over a more casual buyer.

Sorry if it's long, but I hope this helps EDC owners looking for an upgrade to pick the right kit for their goals. My B16 kit is for sale on the classifieds for anyone interested.
Appreciate 5
9M711232.50
Driver407197.50
      11-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #2411
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

We'd have to have a serious word with Bilstein if this kit was better than the B16 kit in the handling department.
Appreciate 1
SherM4n630.00
      11-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #2412
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nmotion18 View Post
How long was the installation hours at the dealership? I emailed the local dealership that have experience installing this kit and told them the instruction shows around 4.5 hrs of labor but I was told that the installation hour is incorrect? I was quoted 9 hours of labor plus alignment for $1820.00. I'm just curious for an average hours for this kit... Thanks!
I checked my paperwork and labor came to 9.20 hours and just over $1,200 total. The dealer had my car overnight. I opted not to do the $199 alignment at the time of install and wait for the springs to settle. I have since had the alignment done and everything is to my liking.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #2413
M3nmotion18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 IR ZCP BM3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.87]
2021 MINI COOPER  [10.00]
2023 GENESIS GV60  [10.00]
2017 LEXUS RX350  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaz18 View Post
I checked my paperwork and labor came to 9.20 hours and just over $1,200 total. The dealer had my car overnight. I opted not to do the $199 alignment at the time of install and wait for the springs to settle. I have since had the alignment done and everything is to my liking.
Hi,

Thanks for the information!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #2414
gman444
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Anyone know where I might be able to buy the hardware kit alone?
      11-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #2415
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman444 View Post
Message getBMWparts on here....I'm sure they'd sell you the kit. It's $65 if you buy it with the HAS kit, might be more on it's own.
Appreciate 1
gman44425.50
      11-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #2416
literbikes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G. Telesto M3 w/SO Stitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman444 View Post
https://www.bmwpartspros.com/

They also have the hardware kit.
Appreciate 1
gman44425.50
      03-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #2417
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

How easy are they to adjust height? Do they need to be removed completely?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #2418
mjames
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
On a non-ZCP car, MP is definitely stiffer which is expected.

You need to update to the latest available software. The end of the instructions state:

- Carry out steering angle adjustment
- Carry out a standard chassis measurement with DIN loading as described in ISTA No. 32 00 150
- Carry out a chassis measurement and adjust using the standard chassis adjustment data

Irrespective of update the software first or last, an ICM calibration is required after work is complete.
I am planning on having a friend's local indy shop install my MP HAS. Dealer is quite far away and will be more expensive. My question is can an indy shop do this software update or am I still going to have to go dealer? '17 F80 ZCP.

2004 ///M3 - Carbon Black / Cinnamon [gone]
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #2419
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

anyone know how large of a press is needed? should 21 inches cover it?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:54 PM   #2420
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioMeth View Post
anyone know how large of a press is needed? should 21 inches cover it?
The one i have has a 27.5" working range and is more than enough. I imagine a 21" working range should be sufficient.
Appreciate 1
audioMeth220.00